1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell says Bengals were out to intentionally hurt him

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dean, May 24, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
  2. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
  3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What, you can't think of a single Bengals player that intentionally tries to injure opponents? Say, who was it that hurt Bell, anyway? I wonder if he talked it over with the guys that hurt Ben and Brown. Maybe it's a conspiracy among the three of them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he's spot on but I kind of wish they'd all just stop talking about the d-bag. Burfict knows he is in all of their heads.

Reminds me of Bill Lambeir of the Detroit Pistons, it was his goal to get into his opponents heads with dirty play, there are even sound bites of him saying on the bench that the whole team is thinking about me out there.

I'm glad Bell learned he has to better protect himself, though. We need him in crunch time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

it may be time for his colon exam by dr. wallace. :smiley1::cool:

6. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I thought Wille Colon performed those.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly how I feel. We KNOW the Bengals are dirty and we KNOW that Burfict intentionally tries to hurt other players. By talking about it for months, we are giving the head case exactly what he wants - attention.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That article is taking a piecemeal approach to the entire interview. It paints a picture of Bell saying the Bengals were out to get him because that gets clicks. Do yourselves a favor and read the whole interview on Steelers.Com before jumping to the oh now Burffy is in their heads conclusion

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Me being interviewed as Bell's alter ego: "You know, injuries are part of every sport - sheesh....even horse racing. It's up to the officials to moderate on field activities and hand out discipline as needed when rules are broken. We the players are only concerned with two things - scoreboard and forcing the Heinz Field maintenance guys to have to keep building bigger SB trophy cases. You know, the same crew with the Bengals must be as bored as the Maytag repairman. Hee Hee. I'm done. Hey....anybody know where I can get a good chipped ham sammy?"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's definitely in their heads, Thorn, I don't need an article to see that. They've talked about him quite a bit.

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I went and took your advice about reading the entire article but I still feel like Burfict is in their heads. But if that be the case, you know what a chuck knoll team would do with those dirty Raider players right? That's what we need to do.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry guys I was on break at work when I typed that response so let me expound on my thoughts. First @Blast Furnace I wouldn't argue that they aren't thinking about Burfict and the two games they have to play against them. Heck you'd be a fool not to have some thoughts about that pos ending your career or even having thoughts about getting some pay back.

No what I was getting at was the slant the CBS article was giving the story. The whole interview touched on how the knee was doing, how Bell was feeling, how good it was to be back out on the field, whether he was injury prone, the question about playing the game assuming guys weren't out to hurt you which naturally led to questions about the Bengals games. So it was a wide range of topics and not just talking about how the Bengals were trying to injure guys. So when people started going why is he talking and giving fuel to Burficts ego I was trying to say slow up folks read the whole article and realize he wasn't just throwing gas on the fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    How do you "protect yourself", when you are running ahead of someone, and they take an angle from behind, and dive at your knee?

I`m not sure if that was the case on the play he got hurt on, because my memory`s a bit fuzzy, but I`m thinking it was either from behind, or beside...

Regardless... those type of plays are bound to happen during the course of the game...

Not trying to put words in his mouth, but I really hope he doesn`t mean by saying "protect myself", that he will alter his style of play, to try to keep everyone in front of him, or look for the sidelines/ground.

He`s too good of a player as he is, to let opponents, change his style of running!

To paraphrase a similar argument... "Then the terrorists are winning"...

Even if he means lowering a shoulder, and taking on a tackler head on, instead of "juking, or hurdeling" them, as he has done in the past...

What he has done has made him as successful as he is...

I really hope he doesn`t change the way he plays the game, because of fear of injury...

It would be understandable in his case, but I feel it would make him less effective, nonetheless.

Be who you are, and let your teammates retaliate, if they have to!!!:butcher::club::smashbengals::herewego!:

(Yes, I realize this is easier to say, when it`s not my body on the line, but I still feel it`s true.)
    GO STEELERS!

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can protect himself by running out of bounds like Franco Harris used to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I personally think Burfict IS trying to cause injury. To protect yourself, the best you can do is start thinking "fetal position" (start bending knees slightly and avoid ever locking them up, awareness of bodies in motion around you) when the play is about to end or you are out of the play.

When Bell got hurt, he was knocked out of bounds and they fell on him. I don`t know exactly when the injury occurred, but I wonder if he had the chance to properly bend his knees before he got the impact that caused the injury. I think Pouncey got rolled up on from behind and maybe could have had better awareness and had a chance to spin around or move out of the way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

<mod edit> That's a bit too much... </mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn't that play happen right as he was going out of bounds?

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're kidding right?
    You can't play the game 100% if you're looking over your shoulder.
    I know that's your opinion, but that's just ridiculous.

19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Franco also used to gain many yards after contact...

UP THE MIDDLE...

AFTER he gained those yards, yeah, sometimes he chose to prolong his career, by stepping out of bounds, after the yards were gained... And facing a sure tackle from a defender...

Not always though... More often than not, especially when he was younger, he would "bull thru" them, or "side step" them...

Regardless...He never looked behind himself, to see if he was about to get hit...

You simply CAN NOT run the ball effectively, if you are worried about getting hit from behind!

Can it happen?

Sure...

If you are worried about it, and looking over your shoulder while you are trying to run, will it happen more often?

Probably...

Just run, and do your job...

Don`t look over your shoulder, and if you are as good as Bell is...

You are probably NOT gonna get hit from behind!!!!

]ust sayin.... Be who you are, Bell.. we need ya!!!! Don`t play skurd!!!!!

GO STELERS!!!!:herewego!:

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I remember Jim Brown getting after Franco about running out of bounds.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There was an old joke about the two of them having a 10 yard race, but Franco ran out of bounds at the 9.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't being serious :shrug:

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh. You gotta use the green font.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    LeVeon Bell talking about it may bring some attention to the matter. I don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with Skip Bayless mentioning it. He doesn't run the ball straight into a lion's den. RBs careers are short lived as it is, if Bell wants to expound on it then all the better, we've all seen VB celebrating after the tackle. There's no love lost. The guy is fighting for his career and if his career benefits the Steelers, I'm all for it. I want to see #26 as much as possible. IMO Bell is justified in voicing his opinion.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't really have a problem with Bell talking about this. It's a heated rivalry with genuine hatred and it should be. I actually wish Gilbert would have went back on to Twitter after that game last year to make good on his promise that the bungles would choke again. I hope when we play Renegade against them this year they show the Jeremy Hill fumble early and often and in as much slow motion as possible. I have no respect for them and believe they are genuine scumbags. I hope we get to eliminate them again this year.