1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maryland CB Sean Davis

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 17, 2016.

1. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    giphy.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    At this stage what more is there than bench presses and 40 times and college stats? They haven't practiced!!! Who is to say Davis won't get the defense?!!

Back to your crystal ball where you say that Davis won't know what he is doing 4 months from now, that Golden will be a better option 4 months from now, that Tomlin is a liar and Davis has no chance of starting 4 months from now etc. etc. etc.

Why did you say "nailed it" to a post that said "No matter who starts at SS they will probably be bad week 1"?

Clearly you don't agree at all. You are in the "Tomlin is a liar and Davis has 0% chance to start over the SS who gets trucked by Jay Cutler" camp.

My view is that starting Davis early will likely be bad for the Steelers in the short term but better for Davis and better for the Steelers in the long term.

Somehow you have a violent reaction to that moderate opinion. IF Davis excels in camp and IF Davis is fluent in the defense then YES he should start early.

We won't know for 4 months.
    That's ample time for you to pretend that 1st round picks are elite (how many 1st rounders were just denied their rookie option from the 2013 class? Was it 12?) and that Sean Davis is a lowly second day pick who has no chance of starting despite being the most athletic safety drafted in 2016 and having 3 seasons of starting in college.

Nothing you are saying makes any sense and all you have is attacking Sean Davis for no good reason over and over. When that fails you attack other teams. All 1st round picks are "elite" haha.

Taylor Mays, Jaiqwan Jarrett, Rahim Moore, Matt Elam, Louis Delmas, Darcel McBrath, Kenny Phillips, Tyrell Johnson were all high pick busts at safety... they must have started too early. Hahaha!

Historically safeties have been drafted towards the end of the first round and in the second round (where MLBs are taken now). The exceptions are All-American level defenders who excel at the combine.

Typically an "elite" safety is a round 2 safety. The Polamalus, Reeds, Earl Thomases in a passing league have increased their draft stock.

Sean Davis is a high draft pick. I have no clue why you are talking like he is a 7th round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    You wanted Billings in the 1st. He went in the 4th. That's pretty well the gist of it.

Also Mackenzie Alexander was the 7th CB taken and the Steelers took Artie Burns as the 5th CB... which you called "laughable" when I foretold Alexander would slide in the draft as prophecy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    That is me all over. I can go for days.

I am sure it is very annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I gotta hand it to you guys..... this is the time for discussion and debate, after all.
    It's fun to imagine what happens when the pads go on. If any new guys are ready, turn them loose, and let's see what they have. It seems to be the direction that the FO and coaching staff is heading.

6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Aww, cute, Dean's tired of getting beat up so you are stepping up for him. Same results.

How is who I wanted them to draft the same as saying they won't draft a CB in the first? Oh, yeah, it's not.

Alexander in the 3rd was laughable, did he go in the 3rd? No. Laughable.

8. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Thanks oldb ;) I am not complaining. I am happy with the selection of DBs in round 1&2. Can't complain about any of the draftees. You just never know who will be a productive member of the team and who won't. Who thought Kelvin Beachum would be a solid starter when drafted in the 7th round. Any of the talking heads say he will start? You hear people squawking about Feeney being to light 6'4" 225? How many offensive players savored the sight of Greg Lloyd 6'2" 228 across from them? How did that 6'4" 204 rookie work out? Jack Lambert was it? HOF? Really, that skinny guy everyone thought would be broken like tooth pick? You just never know. Fans should just enjoy who was picked and understand not all of them will make it and hope 2 or 3 are really productive players.

I dislike the talking heads disrespecting a player because he did not play for a big division one team. So how have the Steelers faired with small college players who did not compete with SEC, Big 10, Big 12 etc. teams? Off the top of my head Bradshaw-Louisiana Tech, Lloyd-Fort Valley St, Donnie Shell- same as Gravedigger, Jack Butler-St Bonaventure, Blount-Southern A&M, Stallworth-Alabama A&M, and I am thinking N. Texas St was not big time college football when Joe Greene joined the Steelers.

I will wait and see and not get hyped about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Spot on. We just keep it real and let the haters hate. You see Alexander was his boy but Colbert basically snubbed him. Remember, I told him Alexander was garbage because of his zero interceptions but he tried to say it was Alexander's coverage skills is why he intimidated QB's from throughing that way. So, once again, judging by the way Colbert bypassed Alexander, who was right..again? :cool:

I'm 3-0

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    You are right. I did not realize how many CBs were taken in 2015. Teams reach for CBs all the time now and Senquez was taken right at the end of round 2 same as Alexander.

Alexander should have gone that high based on 8 corners being taken in the first 2 rounds in 2015.

I always thought he would be just out of the top 5 but I didn't realize where that was.

13. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    With a comment like this, you've pretty much disqualified youself from the conversation

The only "crystal ball" statement I've made is that Davis won't start week at SS. Anything else is your poor inferences.

I don't think Tomlin is a liar, I think he is very comfortable with open competitions.

When did I say they would be good?

I agree very much with the logical and coherent statements made in the post that i stated "nailed it"/

Your view is stupid, anything bad in the short term, is not good in a season we intend to contend for a super bowl. Davis will start when it's NOT BAD.

You should consult a pocket dictionary more often... like immediately before pressing "Post Reply".

What makes you think Davis was the most athletic safety in the draft? Is it something nerdy that includes numbers?

I am fully aware that this doesn't make sense to you... the conclusions you draw make that easy to identify i.e. When did I say all 1st round picks are elite? answer: never

How does posting busted safeties help make your case?

Historically? Why is that remotely relevant?

lol... so typically elite safeties are drafted in round 2... aside from all the examples of elite safeties.
    you're hilarious

I am talking about him like an objective non-homer who watched him play a lot (at safety) in 2014. I watched him look lost against Connor Cook. I watched TJ Barrett make pick him apart. I saw him live in tampa where even against a weak USF team, he didn't do anyting that screamed talent. I watched Melvin Gordon gain yard after yard after Davis contact against him. In 2015 I watched him develop skills as a press corner that were impressive, and his ability to turn and run definitely checks an important box when looking in to developing top talent. But there is simply NOTHING on tape at this point that provides confidence in his ability to play safety at the NFL Level... AT THIS TIME.

The bottom line is that YOU are talking about 'Defensive Back Drafted in the 2nd Round' and I am talking about Sean Davis.

14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    yea yea... and in the february thread about who we should take with the 25th pick... you said, Mackenzie Alexander

You read about this stuff, that's pretty obvious to anyone who reads your stuff. When the Alexander internet narrative changed, you followed suit.

And I said Alexander wasn't very good from the beginning.

Yea. I wanted Billings in the 1st. I don't have access to medical reports. Oh well.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Couple of people should be ready to graduate after all this schooling :read:

16. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Haha. A legend in your own mind. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

18. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    ^Sorry... I meant that you are Dirty Harry in your own mind. I was wrong again.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  20. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    "Left turn, Clyde!" Right?

21. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I was talking to Blast. I don't know who you wanted because I usually ignore you.

The thread title was "With the 25th pick of the draft the Steelers select..."

To which I replied "Mackenzie Alexander."

I gave no other context. My prediction was wrong but I was sure Ramsey, and Hargreaves would be gone as well as a couple other corners.

I didn't guess right. Same as 95% of other people what is your point?

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Close, right turn :thumbs_up:

23. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I actually like arguing (as Blast astutely pointed out) but I'm bored. We can revisit this discussion when football actually starts.

I ignore certain board members for a reason. Thanks for the refresher RPO haha.

Let's hope all the Steelers rookies make great developments especially the three top picks as they are positions of need.

Sean Davis is a great athlete and it will be interesting to see how well he can be molded.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I love those movies!

25. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Hopefully Golson and Grant will also be productive DBs for the Steelers. Quality depth at DB is a good thing. I think Matha Stewart said that. :rolleyes: