1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What the experts are predicting

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2016.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Senquez Golson's tape blows Artie Burns out of the water... and he's a superior athlete. But yet.... we have no real talent in the secondary (unless we draft a project in Artie Burns). Dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    We should add a "Super Agree" for when the agree rating just doesn't cut it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    But.... he's short

4. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I also would not want a 2nd round DB. I'd rather have a 5th rounder like Sherman or Josh Norman or better yet undrafted like Chris Harris and Malcolm Butler.

Right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SubtropicalSteeler

SubtropicalSteeler Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I agree completely about the tape. Golson was a highlight machine, lots of picks, etc. Not so sure about being a superior athlete. Burns was an elite track star in college on top of football. Also, you can't teach size (I know, I know, it isn't the only important thing, but Burns has a much larger frame to work with). In any event, I would love Burns in the second... not a huge fan at #1. I would be incredibly pleased with Billings at # 1 and Burns at #2.

6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Don't be disappointed when the Steelers don't draft a CB in round one.

Since 1980 the Steelers have drafted Woodson, Figures and Scott in the 1st.

Every year it's "We need a CB in the 1st!" Hahaha.

I can't wait for draft day.

7. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    that's fair. Burns might have more generic athletic gifts, but it certainly doesn't translate to football athletics at this point...

they ran the same 4.46 40, but Golson topped him in most other combine measurable, even though Artie did most of the additional events at his pro-day (favorable).

Golson v Burns
    6.81 v 6.96
    4.2 v 4.3
    15 reps v 7 reps
    33.5 v 31.5
    120 v 124

Im all about Burns in the 2nd.... after we take Billings in the first. I'd be disappointed with Burns in the 1st though.

8. SubtropicalSteeler

SubtropicalSteeler Member

Apr 27, 2016
    We are in vigorous agreement, then. Thanks for the figures, I hadn't seen Burns' workout numbers yet. Should be a fun night tomorrow!

9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Me too! Still remember leafing through Football Digest and Pro Football Weekly all the way back in Jr. High in April every year. I absolutely love draft season.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Not a real bad scenerio. Burns is intriguing as hell. Seems like everyone really considers him a big project but I dont think his learning curve will be as steep as others do.

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We do need real talent on the backside, but who do you see that's a better option that's a real possibility? Unless some shaking up goes down, BP's vs needs may leave us reaching if the 1st pick is secondary related

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    But dobbler, that's what we have the greatest GM in the league for. He'll know who that stud DT is in the second round that will come in and contribute to our D-line rotation. Have no fear; K. Colbert is here. :smile:

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Still though why reach for 2nd or 3D tier talent in the first just s,o you can say we went secondary? I've been screaming for backend picks for years I know the feeling, but I don't really see much that will be left unless there is a shakeup in the first. Go steelers do yinz selves right

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    interestingly (NOT) mike mayock picked Eli apple for us in his mock tonight.... And I don't think billings was in the first round at all..... Kinda happy... Mayock can be such a moron

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Mayock took Apple for us and left Jackson on the board. If Apple and Jackson are both available at 25, I think Jackson is the pick. My hunch is based on Jackson being a Senior and us having met with Jackson (dinner after his pro day) and I haven't seen it reported that we've met with Apple. Of course Apple has the Ohio State thing going for him, but I'm guessing Jackson is higher on our board. Just my hunch.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, of all of the online/TV draft pundits, Mayock tends to have one of the most consistently high scoring mocks. Also, he has Billings as his #44 ranked player.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd like to have justin simmons somewhere. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th i don't care, but i think he'd be a great addition to our backend. 1. joseph 2. simmons then do what they want. that alone should help the corners we have. :cool:

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    neither Jackson or Apple is a reach. But if neither were there, then I'm all for the trade down. Jackson has the highest ceiling in this cornerback class next to Ramsey IMO.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would not take Apple over Jackson. I'm skeptical that Jackson even makes it to #25 though.

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I agree with you; The Raiders (for one) are all over Jackson. :(

Dolphins too.