1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What the experts are predicting

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Here are 8 predictions by various people. Can't wait for Thursday, feel like a kid at Christmas, even know I have my preferences, I think I will be pleased with any of the names that have been kicked around on this board the last couple months and in this article. The first one raised my eyebrows but, I understand it and wouldn't hate it. My least favorite would be Artie Burns, 1st rd is too early for him but would be fine with it in the second. Likewise would prefer Von Bell in the 2nd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ock-draft-roundup-what-the-experts-are-saying

2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Honestly I'd be okay with nearly all those players, Blast. And I'm with you, this is one of my favorite weeks of the year. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Why Artie Burns was considered is puzzling for sure. An impact player is needed for the Steelers; a player in the infant stages of learning the position the opposite.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Conklin would disappoint the heck out of me. Heck, any offensive player not named Tunsil or Stanley would disappoint me in the 1st round. I'm also not keen an Alexander. I also don't see Vonn Bell as a round 1 safety. I'd be in various stages of OK or happy with the others.

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The fan base is so desperate for CB that they are going to be elated when we use a 1st rounder on 2nd round talent

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, definitely a favorite. As a kid, I remember cutting out articles in the newspaper on every draft article I could find lol.

That list was the usual suspects though, except maybe Bell and Burns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the rounding is over hyped. if a guy can come in and help your team, what makes the difference if the draft boards think he's a round early? it all amounts to what a teams needs are and the fit of the player more than what mcshay and kiper think. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes and no. You gotta play the value game. There's a reason the Steelers waited so long to take Stallworth. They knew he would be there.

I think in the first 3 rounds we shouldn't be reaching.

It all depends how their board looks. If they had Joseph as the 46th rated guy on their board then no they shouldn't draft him at #25 just because we really need a Safety. If they really like him, move up in the 2nd and get him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I can see Mac's point and yours as well. But if Joseph is their 46th lets say, how far do you move up to get him to where you are not overpaying? If we're at pick 58 or so, what would be the cost to up move half a round? Such a fine line for those GMs. What's better reaching or moving up and giving up additional picks. I would be OK with reaching if it's 10 picks or so. I'm sure each GM has their "magic" number they want to abide by.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with what you're saying about not reaching for someone that is ranked lower on your board just to fill a need. However, your comment about waiting on Stallworth implies that you can wait to take your highest ranked player if you think he'll be available later. I don't think that's an effective strategy in the Information Age. I think if you like a player, you need to go on the assumption that someone else does as well and not try to guess when another team would take him.

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Exactly....ive been saying that for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If there's a guy who's projected to be a third round guy, who your scouting/ drafting dept. Says would be perfect for your hole at cornerback, but you wont have a shot at him in the third round, take him in the second round. But you'd better be right because if your wrong, you'll get hammered. But if your right, you wont hear a peep when he starts and plays well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If you take a second round CB in the first round, know what you get is a second round CB. Dri Archer was drafted two rounds too early, look how that turned out :facepalm:.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    And according to the experts, Calvin Pace ( at the time) was drafted too early. But he panned out so that's why you haven't heard anything about it. The key is...you'd better be right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'm not talking about a 1st rounder over a 5th or 6th rounder but if a guy is ranked in the middle of the 2nd and your at the bottom of the first then absolutely if thats a guy you like, fills a need you have and fits what you do, it's not that big of a jump. same in any round. what do you mean value? stallworth would have been great value in the first after all is said and done. we stole him. same as we did with AB. was mike wallace worth the value over AB? do you think tom brady would have been a value in the 1st? :cool:

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    is richard sherman a 6th round player? just because dri archer didn't work out for us doesn't mean you wait until a players ranked round or pass on him. look at jarvis, is he worth our 1st round pick? :cool:

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The reality is that CB is not our only need... if they take Artie Burns in the 1st because of need, while leaving significantly more talented DL or Safeties on the board... that amounts to bad drafting IMO.

But really... that's not even my point. My point is... this is a weak draft. And first round talent drops off in the late teens IMO. We are getting 2nd round talent in the 1st round... but as long as it's a corner, everyone will be thrilled.

18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The front office will rank them by round, and proceed accordingly.

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree... Only Alexander seems to be what we do round here. I'd honestly take billings before any of the secondary guys mentioned and I know we need tremendous help on the back end!

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly what is playing out for the Steelers, I think something is going to happen in the second round
    and I hope it is positive. But to get something you also have to be willing to give something. Should be interesting.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Although I am a fan of Conklin and Decker I agree with this. Also I am hearing on the radio that Conklin is projecting more as an NFL OG then OT. I don't know about that talk but that is what was on the radio yeasterday. As for the rest I feel the same, not a very big fan of Alexander and Bell but would be ok with them.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree and and alot of guys are ranked differently by teams. rounding is basically a guideline for the most part. within reason anyway. any guy we like well enough from pick 25 to pick 58 could be in play at 25.:cool:

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    For what it's worth.... Ike Taylor had us taking Billings on the nfl network mock last night..... With both Jackson III and apple still on the board.

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It makes sense. It all starts with the front 7. If your front 7 is weak having one stout CB isn't worth much if anything. You've essentially just built a house of cards. We need defensive line help and edge rushers in a big way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

I understand where Ike's is coming from but at some point, you need real talent in the secondary.