1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alright, Boys. Who we drafting?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Lambert, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree. Fuller is who I'm hoping for in round 1.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think it's more like Jackson, then Joseph, then Billings, then Apple. I'm a bigger fan of Apple than Jackson, but I think the FO thinks differently. Joseph and Billings are probably my favorite non-corner prospects we could take in round one and the interest from the Steelers seems to be there. I could get behind those picks for sure.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we may keep an eye on some of these DB's from marshall too. we were at their pro day. corey tindal cb 5-9 187 4.47, keith baxter 5-11 191 4.37, and a safety d.j. hunter 5-11 205 4.38. he's a pretty good one and is moving up from the 7th to possibly the bottom of the 6th. right about where we are picking. :cool:

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

A 5-9 187 CB? That has Steelers written all over it. :D

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think Fuller will be drafted 1st round, he had a lost season in 2015 due to torn meniscus, highest projection i've seen is second round and one report had him a 3-4 rounder so I dont expect him to be drafted in the first round.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree 100%. The Steelers would select Artie Burns over Fuller, if they were to reach for a second tier corner in the first. Fuller may be fully healthy, but not being able to evaluate a full body of work hurts his draft status.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Disagree on not having enough info on Fuller. He has 29 starts, which is plenty of film upon which to base an evaluation. Had Fuller been eligible for, and entered, the 2015 draft, I think he would have been an easy 1st round pick. The Steelers may indeed like Burns or some other corner over him, but it wouldn't be due to lack of a full body of work. Also, I personally think that the film shows that Fuller is a more polished player than Burns, and it's easier to see how his game translates to the NFL. To evaluate Burns takes more of a leap to figure out what he'll be able to do at the NFL level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i agree. plenty of background and tape on fuller.

fuller was projected early as a bottom of the first, top of the second pick. he's still sitting top of the 2nd. we are only 6 picks from the last pick in the 1st. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah, I agree. I like Burns a lot but to project him as having the kind of impact we want out of a CB is a leap of faith, much like for any of the CB's beneath Ramsey/Hargreaves. CB is an easy position to go bottoms up, which is why taking Fuller makes sense from a security standpoint, as his chance of flaming out is pretty much relegated to health.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You may be right that he won't go in the first, but I think there's no chance he's there for our second pick. The only pure corner I like better in this draft is Hargreaves and I don't think he'll be there at 25. I'll gladly take the 2nd best corner on my board at 25.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

That's called a reach, he will still be on our board in the second round so why waste a 1st round pick when they can get him in the second round and maybe even the 3rd??

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We've never won a Super Bowl when one of our starting CB's wasn't at least 6 feet. So with that said, I"ll pass on Fuller. Give me the guy with the measurables but who may not be as refined as Fuller and then let us coach him up. Can't teach height. Just like Sherman needed that extra finger nail a couple of years ago to tip the ball away from Crabtree in the endzone. It's a game of inches. And I want every advantage possible.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It's a "reach" if we don't like him as the best option at 25, not because some guys running websites rank him lower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Fuller is 5'11". You know who else is 5'11"? Revis. You know, the guy you USED to use as an example of the best corner until you found out that he's not over 6' tall. I'm not saying that Fuller is Revis, but the notion that a 5'11" guy is a liability has been disproven by facts over and over. If you look back at the tall corners taken in the 1st round in recent drafts, you'll find that many of them (probably the majority) have not lived up to their draft status.

I'm guessing you don't like Hargreaves either, eh?

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Any 5'11 CB likely defends that pass as well. Your account of that play is off, Sherman got his whole hand on that ball, a smaller CB would still get his fingers on it enough to deflect it.

In a perfect world, you'd like your DB's over 6 feet but I don't think players should automatically be cast aside because they aren't.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Like I said, WE'VE never won a Super Bowl without one of our CB's being atleast 6 feet. So...I want to continue our tradition. No Fuller. And Hargreaves either. I want the whole enchilada.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You know what I meant; I don't want any little CB's considering who we deal with in our division. And I want the perfect world; what's wrong in shooting for the moon instead of having a "let's settle" mentality?? I want a 6 foot corner who has the skills sets to cover and play zone. When we go up against the Brady's and Rodgers of the league, we need man coverage. Zone won't cut it.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because your statement is wrong, a smaller CB defends that pass as well, he doesn't have to be 6'3".

What if there are no CB over 6 feet when we pic? Throw our hands up and say thats it, not taking anyone, going home now. Its not a perfect world but there are good CB's under 6 feet.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    That's a little deceiving.... in the modern era.... we've never won a super bowl without 4th round draft pick 6'1" Ike Taylor..... but does that mean we won because of, in spite of, or other with regards to Ike? :shrug:

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You mean a zone defense like the Seahawks predominantly Cover 3 zone from their SB winning season?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/defense-101-understanding-how-the-seahawks-play/

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-.../seahawks-earl-thomas-pete-carroll-nfl-saints

Yep, zone won't cut it in the NFL. :thumbs up:

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I was actually referring to Seattle's Cover 3 from the 2013 season.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Woops. There I go making assumptions again? :facepalm:

Nothing I hate more than seeing an opposing WR against our defense and I can't even see the CB in the screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, Cover 3 need not mean that the corners start 12 yards off the line of scrimmage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll take speed, quicks, strength, good tackling and knowledge over height any day. that 1/4 or 1/2 inch isn't going to make or break a guy during the season. longer cleats could help i guess. fuller before the injury was the top of the class. i think he'd do us well. :cool: