1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alright, Boys. Who we drafting?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Lambert, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why will they pass on him?

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Alexander had no picks last year for starters. Personally, I dont want another none play making cornerback. We have enough of those all ready. Dont like his measurables either.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't pick off passes when they don't throw to you. Revis had 5 last year but the year before that, he had 2, the year before that, 2 and the year before that 1.

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Oh so your saying he's as good as Revis?? Are you going on record saying that?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Whatever Colbert does at the cornerback position, we will support but he'd better be right in what he does this year.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Blackhole blackhole blackhole.

Put on your thinking cap, Dean, not hard to figure it out.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Please..you cant make comparisons of a rookie to one of the best cornerbacks the last 10 years. There's a reason Alexander is sliding in a lot of peoples thinking. Use your thinking cap my friend.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    But back to the topic.....

We take William Jackson if he's there, if he's not , then Eli Apple if he's there. If neither are there then they take Billings.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Damn, was really hopeful you'd get it.

I'll tell you, ready? Sitting down? Ok, you're not going to have a lot of picks if QB's avoid the guy you are covering. GASP, revelating.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been reading some on Alexander cause I am up and down on him. sometimes I want him at 25 other times I want to stay away, but here is some interesting stats I found:

Allowed just 33 percent of passes into his coverage to be caught in 2015, best in the draft class.

Matches receivers very well, including players with impressive size and speed. Didn’t allow more than four catches in a single game all season

Smooth mover, could transition well and live with receivers. Criticized for not getting interceptions, but press-man corners rarely get many picks. His game was more about preventing receptions, which he did very well.

Less comfortable in zone schemes and seems to struggle to change direction at times reacting to a receiver’s pattern when he doesn’t have his hands on them.

Height is an issue for some NFL teams, who simply don’t believe short, small corners can play against NFL wide receivers. Will be passed over or ignored entirely by some teams because of this.

Bottom line:
    The self-proclaimed best cornerback in the draft, Alexander is a player whose stock is all over the place. Anybody criticizing him for zero college interceptions is missing the point entirely, but there are enough concerns about his play and size to prevent him from being a surefire top-10 pick. Still, Alexander should be a solid first-round player.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we want to cover 1 man with him he could be our guy. if we want him to fit different types of coverage and support the run, he's probably not.

as we found out last year in willie gays situation, if they are not throwing to your side of the field you can look pretty good, but somebody else is getting picked on a lot. if alexander is the pick then we are playing 10 on 10 ball and this is where we will see what we really have in the secondary.

pro receivers and pro qb's will not shy away from alexander near as much as college qb's and receivers will. nor will they be afraid of running at him and doing things to get their #1 open on him. will we change our defensive scheme for the other 10 guys to play to alexanders only real strength?

many nfl picks come off of badly thrown balls or over throws or tips and if you look, safeties usually have more picks than corners in the league.

we set out for more picks last year and we got more picks than in previous years, but we also gave up alot so to me safety play will be as crucial and maybe more so in what we do than relying on one guy to take out one guy.

to me a guy that can play man well and zone well could be much more appealing to us and the other 10 guys on our defense. also not allowing ourselves to settle for average safety play will go a long way and maybe further than one shut down man corner would. if fuller checks out, i'd think he'd be the better fit for us and i'd hope safety comes at the top of the draft along with a guy like him.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, you and I have been on the same page for a while. Fuller fits what we do. Day 1, he's out there contributing and maybe even starting. There are other guys who have some of the tools to fit what we do very well, but they need more work on certain parts of their game like tackling (Jackson and Apple) or instincts with the play in front of them (Burns). Those guys may have more upside than Fuller, but they come with risk that they'll never be the players that their potential suggests they can be.

One other thing favoring Fuller (I think someone pointed it out in another thread): he has 3 brothers who play, or have played, in the NFL. He's going to have a better handle on what it takes to be a pro than the other corners in the draft, and he will have family to talk to when things are rough - family members who truly understand. That has to count for something in the intangible column.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    WR would probably set most people off......... OG/C could do it also......... I think most would accept a TOP OT while secretly wishing for a CB/S/ Edge rusher/DL...

Cajun

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's just a gut feeling I have if all of the other top CBs are gone, they may go DL or S.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We are soooooo close barring injury that???? I will be highly disappointed if we go
    in any other direction other than your first 4 selections that I and many others feel will put us over the top to
    compete and win a superbowl.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I concur.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Noooooo...you don't get it. A guy QB's avoid has to first establish that reputation SO, they can avoid. him. :facepalm:

Example: They tend to not throw at Richard Sherman because of what he's ALLREADY done.

Meaning, you've got to do something first bro before you earn that respect. Don't worry; I'll bring you along. I got you.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    OMG, now you're going to piggyback my material, you're hopeless, grasshopper!

Just messing with you man ;)

We're not going to agree on a whole lot though, chalk this subject up as another one, clearly he was avoided. I think the interceptions is an excuse to knock Alexander anyway and the real issue is height, you and others automatically disqualify prospects if they aren't 6 feet.

Interceptions are nice but keeping the receiver from catching the ball is even nicer, something we lack back there and something Alexander excels at.

19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Well, we can agree to that Super Bowl party can't we??? That's all we all want at the end of the day anyway. When we win the AFC championship game, there's going to be a mass viewing at Heinz Field of the Super Bowl and I'm going to be there..no doubt! We all can meet up as we kick the dog snot out of the Seahawks. :thumbs_up:

20. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I restricted the list further, to those 30 who made an official visit. Here is what I came up with.

1. S Karl Joseph (West Virginia),

2. WR Pharaoh Cooper (South Carolina),

3. DT Javon Hargrave (South Carolina State)

4. CB Jonathan Jones (Auburn)

6. LB Dadi Nicholas (Virginia Tech)

7. DE Dean Lowry (Northwestern)

7. OT Caleb Benenoch (UCLA)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Welcome to the board fugitive, your first pick is OK at safety or corner, we have plenty of receivers so I wouldnt pick a WR at 2, corner or safety there works for me as well: The rest of your draft is as good as any, but we have to focus on the secondary in this draft in the first two rounds, your 4 pick jones has lightening speed clocked at 4.2 4.3 wish he was bigger but you cant knock speed.............

22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Kendal Fuller

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like 1, 3, 4 and Lowry. Don't know enough about the other 2 two guys. I'll throw a shoe at the TV if they take a WR in the 2nd. This team is too adept at finding WR's late to be using an early pick on one and have much bigger holes to fill.

24. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    From the list of 30 visitors, Cooper seemed to be the best of potential second-rounders that are not safeties.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I really like Cooper. Personally saw him more as a 3rd rounder, though.

• Agree Agree x 1