1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alright, Boys. Who we drafting?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Lambert, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I got Burns or Billings

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    BPA not named Ben

3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know. I'm thinking a summer ale today.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My money is on defensive lineman or linebacker

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Eli Apple or William Jackson III

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think its going to be Apple or Jackson, think we are going to have to temporarily ban Deans account draft night :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lots of movement on some draft boards going on. guys moving up, guys moving down.:shrug::cool:

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think at least 3 of our first 4 picks will be guys we brought in for visits, or guys that we had long visits with at their pro days or the combine. I doubt that Apple is in the mix since I've seen no info on us meeting with him. Jackson probably is in the mix if they liked the conversation that they had over dinner.

Looking at the list of who we've brought in for visits, there are two clear trends: 1. We've brought in a bunch of safeties who are projected to go in the lower half of the top 60 -75 on many "expert" draft boards; and 2. We've brought in a bunch of corners who are generally projected to the 3rd round.

My guess is that we have a few non-safety prospects that we like in R1 with Robinson and Jackson being obvious candidates based on pre draft interest. Maybe Decker as well. I would guess there are a few others in that mix that didn't come in for pre draft visits like Billings, Lawson and Alexander. If the 1st round targets all go before 25, I think we take our highest rated safety in the 1st and look to a non-DB position in the 2nd. Either way, unless we take Jackson or Alexander in the 1st, I think we wait until the 3rd for a corner.

If we get a non-safety in the 1st, then I would bet heavily on us going safety in the 2nd. We've brought in too many safeties to not take one early IMO.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a feeling the first rd pick is going to be a curve ball like the Shazier pick. I think the only person not surprised by that was TTF. I know he was never on my radar, thats for sure.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree and was going to say the same about Apple. WJIII seems to fit their profile of CBs who are seniors and played a lot in college. I really think Miami is in play for a CB. They've had private visits with Apple and Jackson. Whether its Miami or Cincy (Leon Hall with offseason surgery and not signed I don't think, Pac Man getting up there in age and Dennard may not have been what they hoped), or someone else, I think Jackson is off the board when we pick.

I don't see the interest in Apple, and I think they would pass on Alexander. I think it comes down between Karl Joseph and Andrew Billings. I don't think the K. Neal and Correa 1st round talk has any substance. I would be shocked, lets put it that way.

I would go with Joseph.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Shazier visited and was uniformly projected as 1st rounder, so the signs were there. I admit I didn't look to the signs and was surprised, but now I know better. Look to where our prospect meeting list (visits, pro day and combine meetings) and 1st round projections intersect for likely targets.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I like a lot of the safeties, but to me Joseph is the only one worth pick #25 (assuming he passes the medical recheck).

13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Gotta get a little closer to the draft to have a more accurate feel. Someone could get arrested or fail a drug test before then.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Correa would be the type of surprise Shazier was, even more so since no way do I see Correa better than 3rd rd.

Could be Neal though. I could see that type of surprise.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Cortez Allen has been released..see ya.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Cortez actually. Will is a free agent, and could still be brought back to get burned on a weekly basis if we don't get a safety or two in the draft.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope it's neither of those two at pick #25. Neal has some traits that are nice, but his film is unsteady. I just don't see 1st round value there. There are plenty of safeties I'd rather have. Correa is a surprisingly effective player on tape. I really didn't expect much when I started watching him, but he started winning me over - but not as a first rounder. No way, no how. 2nd, maybe.

18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I didn't think Shazier was that much of a surprise. Highly productive. Highly athletic. Didn't he run 4.35 or something at his pro day? Lebeau always loved Ohio St players. I had him at the top of my list.

I don't think Correa is anywhere near the talent Shazier was.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe the steelers wil draft Karl Joseph in round 1 Artie Burns in round 2
    Nassib or best Best olb in round 3 , Go back to cb /returner in 4 Hello Cyrus Jones. and the other rounds
    WR in round 6. This is of course speculation and I have no idea how the Steelers will draft.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I did a mock where I could only take players that BTSC lists as being interviewed by us, or who had official visits, just to see how it worked out. This was using the Fanspeak premium simulator with the NFL.com draft board.

25: R1P25 DE SHAQ LAWSON CLEMSON
    58: R2P27 S VON BELL OHIO ST
    89: R3P26 CB CYRUS JONES ALABAMA
    123: R4P25 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA ST.
    220: R6P45 OT CALEB BENENOCH UCLA
    229: R7P8 RB TYLER ERVIN SAN JOSE ST.
    246: R7P25 CB TAVON YOUNG TEMPLE

• Like Like x 1
  21. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I think you nailed the first 3 rounds, at least by position. They're not going CB in the first round and DL/OLB is actually a bigger need.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sean smith from maryland has now been projected as a corner on draft scout. he did play corner last year for the terps and safety prior to that. he has numbers that jump out and he has been in for a visit. just saying. :cool:

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I would be thrilled if Billings falls in our laps. I doubt it will happen, but thrilled nonetheless

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Dont you mean Sean Davis???

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes diamond, yes i did. TY.:cool: