1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2016 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, in the games I watched, I don't think I saw a single helmet to helmet hit by Killebrew. He hits hard, but mostly clean. I just think he looks more like an undersize LB than a safety. The strength in his game is far and away his run support and tackling, and not his downfield coverage.

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    SE, I wasn't saying helmet to helmet I was saying he hits like a truck and in this new NFL we can't have that :hehehe:........ I read some where Killebrew had the most hits with the ball carrier going backward then anyone in college football.

Now you bring up a very good point he looks more like an undersized LB than a safety.....I was just going to start a thread on this but will do it here. I listen to as much NFL radio as I can and there is a lot of talk about this new position in the NFL. The undersized LB/S there are a few guys now who are in that group: Cravens, Dieon Jones and Deznel Nkemdiche. I don't know of anymore but maybe throw Killebrew to this mix. I am going to be curious as to where these guys go and if their stock goes up cause of this new position the teams are doing. I am not a fan of this cause I feel if you put a guy like this out there you open yourself up more to a run then a pass and I can see the better coaches/teams taking advantage of this, jmo. Thoughts?

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I know it's a bit early.... but we went DT in 1st and S in 2nd..... is the 3rd time for a CB? No CB's have been picked since Artie Burns early mid 2nd..... or are the remaining CB's still a stretch at this point in the 3rd? I know management has always said BPA, not current need.....

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Don't underestimate the need for an olb or two

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree, but I would expand the need to potentially include a 4-3 DE. We're in sub packages so often that a 4-3 end can get a ton of snaps. It would be great if the guy can play OLB in our base 3-4 as well, but the key is to get an edge rusher first and foremost IMO.

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    HARLAN EFFEN MILLER.....just sayin! :shrug:

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I really like Victor Ochi, there are also some nice options still out there right now.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That's true to an extant, but we also have to look towards the future. After 2016 we've got Dupree and then nada

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Definitely looking at CB here in the 3rd, although I doubt that guy would be anywhere close to BPA on the board. The 4th round may actually stack up better for a value CB.

Do if not CB, then what?

Some of the BPAs are probably WRs. It's kind of a need but probably not the road we should go down

I think alot of the BPAs could be OLBs or DEs.

Going to let a few more picks pass before mentioning specific names. Just wanted to jot down my thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This is where I run into problems due to a conflict of interest of sorts. :bitetongue: :laughs:

Seriously though, I'm against stepping over talent to reach for a need. We'll see who's on the board...

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Who?

:D

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This mock is a good example of why the Steelers never draft CBs high, Golson being the exception of late. Unless you reach and skip over other talent, there are no CB's that meet the grade on the board worth taking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree with NB, I just don't see the value for a CB in the 3rd. Will Redmond and KeiVarae Russell have some injury concerns, but I don't think they've been met with by the team.

Kyler Fackrell, Deion Jones, Jenkins, Feeney are some OLBs available. Is Murphy or Haeg on option at OT? Too early for ILB Matakevich?

Some interesting ways to go here.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know its early, but I'm throwing my vote in for Deion Jones ILB LSU. 6'1 222. Don't believe the hype of the 4.38 40 at pro day, but he ran a 4.59 at the combine so expect something in the 4.5 range. Very good for an ILB. I don't think he's an OLB as some sites have him projected.

He really only has one year experience but was voted team captain. He must have been pretty impressive for his teammates to give him that honor after waiting behind other starters. He's a project in some areas, but very athletic. Will contribute on STs very quickly and can learn behind the starters in Shazier and Timmons. Great depth at ILB with VW98 bringing the thunder and Jones with the lightning.

Nassib was a close second, but since we went Billings in round 1, I think the second level of the defense needs a boost. No CBs available here that I like, but a ton of them in round 4.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nassib is off the board or I'd vote for him here. Not crazy about ILB at this point, I'll look at your boy Turtle but think I want to go OLB. Unless someone comes up with a worthy CB.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    sorry Blast you're right, missed that!

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Love these LB's here, very high on Matakevich. He reminds me of a Zack Thomas or Brian Urlacker, I don't care about his "40 time" watch him on film and he is always around the ball. I also feel with LT in the final year of his contract and the worry every down about Shazier's health and the lack of having someone behind them ready to take over I feel he would be a nice pick here.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am going to be pretty much tied up most of this morning with work so as we get close to our pick I am sure by now everyone knows my feeling on Miller...:beg: but also I have some other guys to throw out there:

As mentioned Matakevich is a nice fit here, like him a ton. I also am very very high on C Jack Allen but I understand this is early to fill out back up role. Jenkins and Frackell fill a void at OLB, just can't get myself to go with another OLB JJ from Georgia......I like Murphy as well.

I do not want Howard here this kid is bad I know we need CB help but before you think about him watch is film. He get beat like a drum in the red zone on jump balls and will get eaten up in the NFL for that, he also gets beat deep and is grabby.......no to Howard and YES to Miller!!

To me it would come down to Miller vs Mataevich, jmo

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are still some really good players available. I haven't been watching much tape of offensive players, but I have been watching plenty of defensive players. Here are a few that I think are great value at this spot:

1. Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia - a solid all around 3-4 edge guy who can also play out of a 3 point stance. He's very sound against the run and provides a lot more pressure than his sack stats would indicate. This is one of those guys that you've got to watch tape on to see the potential. I think he's the equal of Moats day 1, with the ability to grow and improve.

2. Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois - This guy is a very good, versatile lineman. For us, he'd be able to rotate in with Heyward and Tuitt, and be effective as a rookie. He has starter upside in 2-3 years, and I think he even has Pro Bowl potential down the road. Watch his game against Iowa to see how sound he is playing his run responsibilities, and how he plays every single play like it's the most important play of the game. He needs some technical work on his pass rushing, but I'm sure good coaching will bring that out of him. This guy will have a long NFL career if he stays healthy.

3. Bronson Kafusi, DE, BYU - I believe that he had 20 tackles for loss and 11 sacks last year. When you watch him, he's sneaky good. He often seems to be engaged and stonewalled by the blocker, but then all of a sudden he disengages at the right time to make a play. You'll rarely see the great speed rushes or rips, but he gets there. While he's engaged, he's covering two gaps against the run or pushing toward the QB, getting into position to quickly shed the blocker at just the right time to get into the perfect position. I've only watched 2 games so far, so I'm not yet 100% sold, but he's a guy to consider.

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Damn it GB.... I was just getting ready to throw out Fackrell as a possible OLB for the steelers. :(

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here! :lolol:

22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Based on my board, this should be a runaway win for Bronson Kaufusi

Best Available on my board:
    #49 Bronson Kaufusi DE BYU
    #62 Jalen Mills FS LSU (But we already drafted Darian Thompson)
    #77 Kenneth Dixon RB (Not a strong enough need here)
    #78 Landon Turner OG NC (Not a strong enough need here)

#79 Jordan Jenkins OLB Georgia

There are a lot of corners that we should be able to pick from with our 4th round pick. No need to reach for one here.

I vote for Bronson, but Jordan Jenkins would also be a good pick.

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'll go with Jordan Jenkins.

OLB is crowded now but we could lose three guys next year (Harrison, Jones, Moats)

24. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What about Jaylon Smith, OLB, ND? Assuming he doesn't have nerve damage?

25. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana

For those that aren't aware... Miller is a tall, long cornerback with exceptionally quick feet, and some serious ball-hawking ability. The guy does a great job at baiting QB's into throwing his way and aggressively attacking the ball. He's also an aggressive tackler. I've seen some compare him to Kevin Johnson (picked 16th overall last year by the Texans).

Pairing him up with Golson and Thompson would give the Steelers a plethora of guys that look to take the ball away from receivers.

• Winner Winner x 1