1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2016 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I respect you opinion I did not like him I wish I knew what thread it was I had a nice write up on him on what I didn't like, I will say this I took him off my list that's how bad I thought he was. jmo

2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Any given Sunday, my man. Any given Sunday.

I'm not saying he isn't any good otherwise he wouldn't be in this discussion for a second round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well he also did it Monday Tuesday Wednesday........lol

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Watched the 2 videos on draft breakdown, didn't particularly stand out to me, his awareness sometimes seemed questionable, couple times the ball carrier ran right by him and was slow to react, didn't like him in run support at all, his thin frame and light weight is too easily blocked. But I dug into him a little more after you pimping him and found a breakdown of him where the author highlighted some good things he does. He's better off press which fits our scheme better, good feet and twitch.

I like that he returns kicks, thats a plus. I'd be ok with him in the 4th. He's a tall skinny guy with poor combine results, slow and weak. Not sure if he'll make the jump to pro level, played against weak competition which makes it hard for me to judge how hed do against better talent but he did show well in the shrine games so the potential is there. He needs to put on some muscle and weight, will slow him down even more though.

No way I want him in the 2nd.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Results so far:

Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State
    - 7 (9 with Elvis and Turtles vote but doesn't look like it will be necessary so Von Bell supporters shouldn't feel cheated)

Von Bell, SS, Ohio State - 3

Harlan Miller, CB, Southeaster Louisiana - 2

Xavien howard, CB, Baylor - 1

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

That's the thing I love and hate about the draft....
    Seemingly can't miss prospects bust, while relative unknowns can become superstars...
    The draft is an inexact science where anything and everything can happen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast thanks for taking the time I will go back and watch again, maybe I missed something. I don't like to pimp guys unless I am 100% sure on them but what the heck I will watch again...lol.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Also about here too, love to talk about guys and see what others think. Makes for fun times for the most part...

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so I watched both again and really looked at a few things:

The good.....He has great instincts and I think this is why I am so high on him. For example in the ohio game very 1st play he is playing p on the WR and they throw a screen to the other WR. He breaks right on it so fast the WR he was on couldn't block him and he made the play for a loss. Miller is always looking at the ball which is a favorite of mine, he stays with his receiver and doesn't lose him when he does this. He also broke up a few passes and always was close to his man. I think his instincts mixed with NFL coaching will make him a very good cover corner.

Now the bad.....This dude does not like to tackle, he does just enough to get by. Also while watching him I noticed the things I like so much might get him in trouble in the NFL. Like I watched him read the QB and almost lose the WR. I know I just got done saying this was a strength but why I am worried about this is cause of the level of competition he was facing and that in the NFL it will be faster.

I have watched film on a few of these CB's and I still like this guy a lot, I agree that he should not be a 2nd rounder and I may have to take back calling him a top 20 talent. All in all I do like this kid but I also see he has more holes then I first thought.......

• Like Like x 3
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, no votes in a few hours. Let's call it. Darian Thompson, welcome to the Steelers!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    D'oh! Forgot to vote. Thompson is a good choice. His tackling really concerns me, but he is one of the few safeties who could comfortably play anywhere the Steelers want him to.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I will be very disappointed if it doesn't play out like your list.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Not bad, now we have to convince all the GM's to not pick Miller so he last to us in the 3rd......:shrug::shrug::hehehe::hehehe:

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    B&G, found my notes on Howard and here is what I saw on tape:

Showed no top end speed and loses the ball in the air which led to him being to handsy. He is not good at going up with the WR, very bad red zone problem, the NC game was bad. In the SMU game right off the bat he was burnt deep. He had problems shedding blockers, WR's locked him up. He did not read run good at all and is a very poor tackler.

FWIW, these are my observations on this kid. I don't like to say I don't like a prospect without giving reasons why. :smiley1:

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

From what I've seen of him, most of that appears to be corrected. ..... I will say that he is still a bit touchy feely, but that can be coached out of him...
    I still think he can and will be a solid pro

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I absolutely hate the thompson pick and may blow a head gasket if the Steelers select him in rd 2!!! He is a 4th rd pick at BEST, possibly a 5th. This draft is deep in safety ONLY in the rds 3-5. It is not deep in rds 1 & 2. Reaching for a need and over drafting will kill a team.

Terrible pick

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Really? I see most of the top safeties go in the 2nd. Thompson pick seems like decent value as he has been mentioned in the 1st. I missed who you voted for, so what would your pick have been?

18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Can I ask you why TTF? I'm really puzzled here, you're a no flash level headed guy and in your statement you say his tackling "really" concerns you but you pick him as our future safety ( tackling required ) with a 2nd rd pick. You and steelelvis being on board with This 2nd rd pick has got to be the biggest shocker of this draft..... I'm just totally confused

Cajun-

19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I didn't vote, I've been out of town and very busy and just haven't had the time to keep up. I just checked in to see who we voted for and was totally shocked and honestly don't know who was available. I will look and see who has been picked and get back with you. I agree most top safeties will go in the 2nd, only 1 maybe 2 in the 1st, I just don't believe Thompson is that high, Vonn Bell was available and if we're chasing needs and think that need is safety Bell in the 2nd would have been a good value, still not sure if that would have been my pick. Houston-Carson in the 4th would be a GREAT pick for the safety position.

Cajun-

• Like Like x 1
  20. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah I think Bell would've been an excellent choice. Seems like some are high on Thompson and others aren't. Personally I haven't seen any film this year so I'm only going on what the draftniks say! Like you I'm short on time this year.

21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    You asked earlier who I would have picked, Bell was a quick response and quite frankly a better option. I have been busy but i have had the time to watch film and study prospects guided by many "professional draftniks", but not as much as I'd like.

As mentioned in other threads I truly believe edge rusher/DL depth is crucial to our continued success going forward and while I'd like to upgrade the Safety position it is okay right now. That being said Carl Nassib, Kyler Frackrell, Shilique Calhoun & James Cowser are better options in the 2nd over Thompson, I probably would have picked Carl Nassib, a Young high motor Brett Kesiel.

Cajun-

22. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I would've been fine with Nassib. I think he's a quality prospect.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I watched the Mich St game of Bell's and I wasn't impressed, he is a very bad tackler. What I like about Thompson when I watched him was he wasn't a bad tackler, yeah he missed one here or there and sometimes goes for the big homerun hit. Also imo I like the fact that Thompson can find the ball, 19 ints in his career.

As I looked more into this what has me wondering is why are we going FS and not SS? I know there has been talks about Mitchell moving but how do we know that? I really get confused in the whole FS/SS thing and who can play it and who is suited for it. So with that said Mitchell is our FS so we need a SS.

Back to the comparison of Bell and Thompson in the 2 games I watched (1 on each) I feel Thompson tackles better and has a better nose for the ball, jmo.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Personally, I think Thompson and Joseph are both Swiss Army knife safeties. They can play in coverage, or near the line and be highly effective anywhere. That's one of the reasons I like both of them so much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks, I don't know enough about Mitchell to know if he is able to play both cause to me Mitchell feels more like a SS then a FS. As for Thompson I just feel like he is more of a FS. Like I said I am not "educated" enough to know what the traits are to play each, but the bottom line is I feel IMO that Thompson is a better fit for us and a better prospect then Bell. Another name to mention if we are looking for a big hitter is Killebrew. My worry with him is with the NFL getting more "2 hand touchish" he may be more of a problem then solution.

A guy I want to go back and look at again for more of a 4th round guy is Kevin Byard. Now I know early in the draft season he was a small school riser. I know a few here didn't like him cause I brought him up before. Now with watching more and more S I would like to watch him again and also love to know the opinions of those who have watched him.