1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2016 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have a question is there a % somewhere that has success by round? I am curious because how many 1st rounders pan out 2nd, 3rd and so on. On your list both Foote and Taylor had pretty good careers, Colon played a long time and had an up and down career but was a starter a while and Bryant was off to a good start........and then puff puff!

I may be wrong but to have a chance in the 4th for one of the guys mention I would risk moving back a few spots. Now it all depends who is on the board but I am using the situation we are talking about now. The problem is everyone has different rankings for example take Billings who we just picked:

CBS - 20
    Drafttek - 18
    NFL.com - 30 ?
    SI.com - 23
    Scouts inc - 18

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's generally the last thing you said, but it's CB and edge, not just CB. I have the need as being equal, and the remaining players as borderline 1st/2nd round guys. I definitely prioritized need, and that's where I came out with the guys that were left. I don't like any of them enough to take at 25 if a good trade is available, but I wouldn't drop down so low that I think they could all go before i pick later in the 1st. You think it's bad decision making. I think it's bad decision making to pass on a trade opportunity if I'm luke warm on the players available at 25. Why pounce on a guy that I don't feel that good about? Differing views. No point belaboring that discussion any further.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

I think the misunderstanding lies in the evaluation. You say chose what suits the team the best and own the choice, which I agree with. What they are saying is it doesn't matter who they get because they have A, B, and C "rated" the same. So, they get an extra draft pick and a player that still fills a need for the team. Two different philosophies to drafting which is what makes this time of year so much fun and also so frustrating. Always interesting to see how GM's work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Three picks to go. I'll cast my vote for Darian Thompson, S, Boise as the Steelers selection in the second round.

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The Darian Thompson suggestion is a good one IMO. Another one to consider is Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia. Some will cringe at taking another OLB from Georgia with the initials "JJ", but the tape that I've watched shows a pretty tough, smart, high motor OLB prospect. On tape he provides more pressure than his stats show. His vertical and broad jump were great; bench not so much. I have to watch more of him to get fully comfortable with him in the 2nd, but he's a good football player. Another name to toss out is Shilique Calhoun of Michigan State. I have yet to watch scouting tape on him, but my recollection from watching games in the fall is that he's a disruptive edge player, and I'm seeing him projected as a 2nd rounder. I hope to watch tape later.

I see no corners remaining that have 2nd round value IMO.

8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Von Bell, Safety, Ohio State?

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm surprised Thompson is available still. Probably should be running to the podium with this pick but I want to mull over some other candidates before casting my vote.

10. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm gonna say Vonn Bell as well. Keep that Ohio State pipeline a'flowin!

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

I agree, I don't see any corners worthy of a 2nd here.

I've only watched 2 games on Jenkins, Auburn and Vandy. I just don't see the 2nd round grade. He's a physical guy at the LOS, but not a pass rusher first imo. And that's what I would be looking for at OLB here in the second. He did show a lot of diversity lining up on either side and even inside on the def. line. He held his own on the edge, but he's better in a crowd than by himself it that makes sense. He seemed to miss a number of 1 on 1 tackles in the backfield but could make the play engaged with a blocker or crossing down the line. Good motor though and created some pressures because of it. But even after watching the tape vs Vandy where he had a huge game I still see him as a 3rd rounder jmo.

I'm just going to come out and say it. I don't like Calhoun in the least. Him and Ogbah are very disappointing because they have all the gifts but only choose to use them in spurts. I feel if they don't like to give full effort in college they generally don't do it on Sundays. I'd take a guy like Curt Maggitt out of Tenn. in the 7th, and I'd feel like I came away even. He's a Ross Ventrone guy at a different position.

I think value and need come together nicely for the safety position here. I would take Justin Simmons out of B.C. over Thompson but it doesn't seem like the Steelers are interested. They had a presence at Boise St pro day, but I didn't see anything written about their attendance at Boston College's. I did ask Simmons on twitter and he said he thinks they may have been there but he didn't meet with them. He had a great broad jump and vertical showing explosiveness and just got married last week. No character issues. None either with Thompson. A lot of people have Simmons graded as a 3rd and that's fair, but the guy tackles extremely well and is a student of the game. Getting tired of reading the articles on missed tackles every Monday.

I'll vote for Thompson because I think the Steelers have more interest. I wouldn't have a problem with either safety if they were selected.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Turtle, I was going to mention Simmons, and he may end up being my guy in this spot. I'm going to need to watch a bit more. I love him as a true free safety, but I need to have another look at his play around the line of scrimmage. I have no doubt whatsoever about his ability to play high. I think that the media draftniks are way behind on him when they project him to the later rounds. His tape is very good.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Simmons 40 - 4.61 combine, 4.5 pro day
    Thompson 40 - 4.69 combine
    K Neal 40 - 4.62 combine, 4.59 pro day

Simmons 3 cone - 6.58
    Thompson 3 cone - 7.26
    Neal 3 cone - 7.09

Simmons vert - 40
    Thompson vert - 32.5
    Neal vert - 38

Simmons broad - 126"
    Thompson broad - 118"
    Neal broad - 132"

Simmons 20yd - 3.85
    Thompson 20yd - 4.33
    Neal 20yd - 4.38

Just some numbers for comparison...

14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Thompson, 4.53 pro day. And at the combine he had the flu, just an fyi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    ok turtle... Let's kick this off with 2 votes for Simmons. I'm in if you're in :thumbs up:

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say the choice of S is real nice here Bell, Thompson, Cash and Killebrew. The other guys that interest me are Miller and Boyd at WR, Nassib at DE and Miller at CB. I love Harlan Miller but feel this is to early for him but he is the best CB available and we need one.

I need to sleep on this a bit cause I want to vote Harlan Miller depth at S is good and we can get one and a good one next round imo. I don't really want to go WR this early but these two I mentioned I would be happy with here. I feel you have to keep the cupboards stocked and with the Bryant issue another threat would hurt, imo.

I think a lot of Harlan Miller and if I have to reach a bit and take him in the second I am fine with that. I would rather reach in the 2nd then miss out in the 3rd. I feel he is very very good.

Of the S left I do like Thompson best he shows great break on the ball and is a very good open field tackler. Good nite all, what time do we have to have our vote in tomorrow?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I couldn't find the pro day numbers thank you.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Absolutely, I'll change my vote to Simmons:clapping:

21. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm familiar with Thompson and he's been listed among the top safeties for a while now, so I'll go with him.

Darian Thompson, S, Boise St

22. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    This mock draft demonstrates to me the need to go CB in the first round IF one of the highly-regarded CBs like Apple or Jackson are available when we pick. We have ignored the position far too long in the draft and the verdict is in in my opinion. There are no sure things in the draft, but we need to exorcise the Chad Scott demons and use a first round pick on a cornerback. I will stop whining now and stick to the business at hand :)

I agree that at this point it wouldn't make sense to reach for a CB given what's left. There are several safeties that are still out there that would represent good value. I will go with Vonn Bell. Tomlin has stated in the past he would consider moving Mitchell to SS, which would open up the FS spot for Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    S Von Bell, Ohio State

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I'm confused isn't Bell a SS? So if we are going to move Mitchell to SS which I have no clue if we do we would want a FS like a Thompson, no?

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So I am thinking we are looking at this wrong, CB is a major need with very little left. I agree S is a very big need but look what is left in the nest few rounds:

SS: Bell, Killebrew, Kearse, Byard & Dillon
    FS : Thompson, Mills, Carson, Simmons, Davis & Powell
    In the next 2 rounds we could get a good S but what is left at CB?

Cyrus Jones is good I like him, Howard and Bradberry are bad...real bad. Nobody left comes close to what Miller can offer us. Please Please Please all watch this kid on :

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/harlan-miller/

If you feel we need CB help in this draft watch this kid play and vote him. I am gonna hold my vote cause I don't want to vote Miller if it don't matter. So here it is the start to fix the CB position what say u????