1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2016 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 3, 2016.

1. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    OK just to get this up to date on the basic rules of this. ANYONE can vote no matter if your in on the mock or not. ONE vote per person. We we generally open voting within 2-3 or so picks before the Steelers. If the person you vote for gets taken before the Steelers pick...you CAN change your pick to someone available. The player with the most votes wins. Also as with previous years...no trades will be allowed involving the Steelers.

Thats pretty much it...its simple!

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Steelers Selections:

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Three picks to go. Time to start planning.

3 Names from me to kick it off: Andrew Billings, NT, Baylor- of the defensive tackles left, he is the purest nose tackle, has a non-stop motor, and seems to be the most likely to be able to spell our d-ends on passing downs. A run stopper with the ability to rush the passer. Casey Hampton 2, if you will.

Mackenzie Alexander, CB, Clemson- Either the #3 defensive back in the class, or the number #33. Best drafts see him going in the top 10, worst see him in early round 3. Probably the most polished of the remaining d-backs, best man-to-man, shut down corner. Highest floor, lowest ceiling of the next three. You either love him or you hate him. Most ready to contribute in 2016.

Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State- Everyone has him in their top 5 CBs. Tallest, youngest, but least experienced. Lowest floor, highest ceiling of the remaining d-backs. May be nothing more than a special teams ace this year, but 3 years down the road could be a #1 CB. But could also be a #4.

For months, my pick here was Kendall Fuller. But the fact that he couldn't even run for his pro-day makes me downgrade him to 2nd, maybe third round.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    As we're on pick 23 now, I think I'll go ahead and place my steelers vote for Eli apple

5. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My vote goes for William Jackson, CB Houston

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im going with Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor.

Hes a guy that can play more then 30% of snaps, dominant player that justifies a 1st rd pick and feel he would make more of an impact in year one then any DB we could take here.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Billings is solid choice.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Since I threw out the first three names, I'll put in my 2 cents and a vote:

The only, and I mean only, CB I want to consider at 25 is Mackenzie Alexander. He is a shut down corner, and not a height/weight/speed project. Will he be the best of the best in 3 years? I believe so. No, he's not an interception machine. We drafted one of those last year, and he's not on the team anymore. What he is is the best cover corner in the draft, someone who covered the best college receivers in the biggest games of last year, and held them to a what, 28% completion rate? How can you argue with that?

With that being said, I vote for Andrew Billings. I believe he will have a much more significant impact on our defense this year.

If the Steelers (and the TSF faithful here) select Alexander over Billings, I will be just as happy. If those two are on the board and we take a project cornerback like Apple or Jackson, I will be seriously disappointed. Maybe have to have serious glass of scotch to calm myself down. Course, if its Alexander or Billings, I might have to have a serious glass of scotch to celebrate. One of those miserable problems to have.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's gotta be CB. 3 good choices. If this was how it played out I would be pretty happy to possibly have a choice of all 3.

My vote is for William Jackson, Houston.

I think he may take a little longer, but has the most upside.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm pondering who to cast my vote for, but I'm having a tough time seeing Billings as an immediate contributor after watching a few of his games. He has tons of physical ability, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player leave more plays on the field. He often gets into the backfield, but the ball carrier makes a simple move and avoids him like he's a statue. I don't know if he's completely lacking lateral agility, recognition, or both. He may be great with coaching, or he may be the next Ziggy Hood. Just my view based on watching games.

11. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    My vote is for Kevin Dodd DE Clemson. I don't see the value at safety to take with our first round pick and I don't like Alexander with our first rounder either. Dodd will be impactful on the pass rush his first year imo. Relentless attitude is a big plus. I like Jackson and I'm just starting to get into some Apple evaluations but I think Dodd presents the better value.

I think K Fuller could drop to the 2nd with his injury concerns.

edit: like I mentioned in the Jason jones thread, Dodd will be 24 in July, don't know if KC will pull the trigger, he generally goes for the youngins

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So far the tally is:

Apple 4
    Jackson 6
    Billings 8
    Dodd 2
    Alexander 1

Voting will stay open until at least 3:00 tomorrow. I presume even longer, I believe Steeler voting exceeds the 12 hours, give everyone a chance to weigh in. If Gpguy checks in, he can let us know how long voting usually lasts or if one of the other committee members knows.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'll stick to my board and vote for:

Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Man I am really tossed up on this one, on one hand Billings offers instant help on the other hand we have major need at CB and guys like Alexander, Jackson and Apple are sitting right there. Then you look at our pass rush, JH and JJ could both be in their last year. Someone pointed this out in another thread and really got me thinking and with both DT and CB both pretty deep are guys like Dodd, Ogbah and Calhoun worth this pick?

Oh man so many decisions I am not sure where to go on this, my 1st thought is CB but so many people here have pimped Billings. I am afraid if we pass on pass rusher now with this class not being so deep we could be in trouble later. I need to hold off and listen to you guys before I make my vote..........:facepalm:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After some thought, I'm going with Apple. I think that all of the guys being pimped here offer some early impact, but (with the possible exception of Alexander) need time to marinate before they'll be consistently strong contributors. A few posts above I explain why I think Billings is a work in progress. I'm not saying he's a bad player. Far from it. However, the only thing I'm sure about with him is that he'll upgrade our run defense as a 2 gap stuffer. One additional thing in his favor, the elimination of the high/low cut block will make him even more effective against the run by forcing blockers to take more time when double teaming him because one of them cannot simply roll him low to free up the other guy.

With respect to the corners, Alexander is the most ready now, but the more film that I watch the more I think he's yet another guy who is ideally suited for the slot. I don't see the long run upside that I see in Apple and Will Jax III. I think Apple is more pro ready than Jax, and will impact immediately in sub packages, with the ability to be a quality starter down the road. Both have significant tackling issues, but I think Apple is more physically capable of being a physical player earlier in his career.

I'm going to give an additional shout out to Ogbah, even though he's not my pick. The guy has the potential to be great. With his burst, power and 35" arms, he can be an elite edge rusher if he commits to honing his craft. However, he also has a really low floor if he doesn't take to coaching and continues to just rely on his natural talents to impact. On film he's very inconsistent, sometimes looking like the next Jared Allen, and sometimes disappearing for 2-3 quarters at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    }
    p[

This is the way I look at it. While we have needs in the secondary addressing those needs without a solid foundation(the dl/pass rush) gives us nothing more than a house of cards. We have a couple pieces in the front 7, but by no means is a it a finished product. I want to build a team that wins 2,3,4 more Lombardis, not a team that gets close

• Like Like x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Now this is funny you mention Ogbah, I like him a lot he had a solid game vs K ST and their good lineman. I want to lean that way but I haven't watched enough on him to make it the official pick. With time running short and a pretty busy work day I am not sure I will have time(whine whine) but I am going to try to make a decision before lunch time thanks for the input. :thumbs_up:

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

So what's your vote Billings? My problem is I just am worried no pass rush later on, yeah I love what I saw in Ochi but who knows what and if we get him. I know that DT can be had in all 3 rounds I am not sure about edge rusher. Also I have not been a JJ fan so looking to replace him with this being his final year is a big need imo.

20. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I will continue until I'm blue in the face to say that this team needs a true franchise nose tackle. Been saying it since Hampton retired. As much as we need a CB, I've always believed that it all starts up front with the front 7.

Billings

21. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Apple lacks overall physicality, and tends to get grabby when he is beaten by a WR (had 10+ penalties as a 2yr starter). A below average tackler who would rather go around a blocker than through one getting taken out of plays too easily.

Billings needs improvement on his vision so he doesn't just run by the play while trying to blow up the lineman in front of him. Tends to only use a bull rush all the time. Not always a consistent effort given every play.

Jackson is a little tight hipped and stiff in his change of direction and gets a little too aggressive taking some chances he shouldn't in coverage.

Of the 3 everyone is considering Jackson is my favorite, but I think we can get a CB that's similar in the 2nd round.

My vote would be Billings.

22. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I will go with Alexander.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Jarvis Jones might as well be a called a bust. He was way way over drafted . He's essentially nothing more than back up level of play. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's an immediate impact olb available to us.

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :smiley1:

SC, I totally agree with you when you say this team has not had a true NT since Hampton, however that type of player and defense is gone. what we need imo are DT that are more 4-3 then 3-4 but can play 3-4 good when needed. I will not argue that Billings fits that roll. Now where my concern lies is the fact that the NFL is becoming more of a passing league and more of a 7 on 7 kinda league. Two things about that you better have cover guys and pass rushers. I feel we can get a DT later as well as a CB or two and the more I am thinking about it the more I like Dodd and Ogbah here..........:smiley1:

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hearing a lot of buzz on Noah Spence and the Steelers :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1