1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Su'a Cravens - LB or S

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Cravens is a prospect I haven't seen too much chatter about. If I'm wrong point me in the right direction.

If the kid can play S, which I think he can, then I think we really should be talking about him more. Huge production. Great insincts.

What say you?

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have mentioned him in a different thread and we have had talks about him. I feel if we are going to be using 6-7 DB's 70% of the time I like this kid more and more. I have not seen him play so before I have an opinion I have to see him to decide if he is a S or LB. If he is more of a S I like this a lot cause then he could still play the run but yet offer big time pass help. Also not to hijack your thread another prospect like this is Dieon Jones LSU. These two are guys I feel could be targets cause of the hybrid style we are going to play.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Jones is cut from the same type of cloth. Production just isn't there for me when compared to Cravens.

We desperately need a S within the first 3 rounds. I've had my eye on Killebrew for the past couple of months. I still like him alot. But Cravens has a ton of upside and we know the Steelers did meet with him so there is definitely interest. Be interesting if he fell to our 2nd round pick.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like Killebrew but my problem with him is he is old school Steeler material and the way he plays(major big hitter) he will be a target for this new NFL. That one fact has me worried the NFL will be just waiting with fines and penalties.

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    6'1". 220 lbs at USC pro day. 4.65 40. Honestly, if the Steelers see him as a strong safety, he could be our first round pick. I'd love to get him with our second, but if teams are viewing him as a safety (as compared to linebacker) he won't be there. Would greatly prefer him to Keanu Neal, who some people have us taking in the first round.

6. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Craven's explosion numbers will keep him out of round 1. Those numbers will scare alot of teams. However as round 2 unfolds, his production and potential will make teams think long and hard about passing on him.

7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Honestly Cravens is off my board. I can't see drafting him before the 5th rd ( due to our needs and other?better prospects ) and by then he'll be drafted by then by someone else.

He is in his Prime physically yet he looks slow in his play/movement. He seems to have good instincts but where would he play. He's slow, not very quick, and weak in the bench press. He's got decent size. Is he a 4-3 OLB ( weakside ) or a 3-4 ILB or a SS? SS is out in my opinion, as is Wil so that leaves, to me, a 3-4 ILB. A good run stopper when in space but weak in coverage and gets caught up in traffic.

I'm not a fan and most likely stand alone on this board....... but that's me

Cajun

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd would welcome him. I like versatile players like him, he can cover or play in a box. Hes a great athlete, smart, very good instincts, good football player all around.

Tell you the truth, his abilities remind me of Troy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Speaking of Neal I watched him and I am not sure why he is being connected to us but I do not want him.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I only watched half a game but I can see what your saying, in the little I watched he looks to have a nose for the ball. I watched him blitz off the edge which is something I like a lot, I need to see more and how he is in coverage.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i have to agree. give me a bell, green**, simmons***, thompson, powell, dillon, smith, cash, fejedelem, williams, byrd and then maybe neal. heck i'm leaning towards even canady, worley, russell and murray as guys that could play safety for us. as much as lee covered as a lb he would even be able to play that spot over cravens. :cool:

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Bingo!!!!

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

What???? Dude!!!!.... He is no where near Troy in talent.

Cajun

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure where Cravens will play in the NFL, I see him going no earlier than late 2nd. He might turn out to be like Deone Buchanan of the Arizona Cardinals, a undersized ILB.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he is Troy. No where near the elite athleticism of our future HOFer.

That being said, I think Cravens is a sure fire Pro Bowler. He may not be an elite athlete, but his instincts really show on tape. Also, from what I read, he was one of the most impressive interviews at the Combine. Insincts and production are qualities I like in a player.

I think on the right team he is a Pro Bowl WLB. Obviously that team is not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But if he can play SS, I think he could be an excellent Steeler.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Damn man no one said he was freakin Troy who is, I think it was said he had Troy abilities. There may never be another Troy but it don't mean guys don't play his style of game. I have not watched a lot of Cravens so I can't really judge him yet. All I know is the way we are switching our defense guys like this might be just what we are looking for......

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He does seem to exhibit great instincts, I just don't see the speed in his game and his work out numbers validate that. In the NFL ALL his opponents will be all-stars.

I believe right now an old heavier Troy could still out run him. Troy ran 4.33 in the 40 at his combine..... I think

I just don't see Craven as a talent draftable in the early rds, but then again I'm Not a scout, just a fan

Cajun

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said he was. His instincts and versatility reminds me of him. How good a pro he is, remains to be seen.

No one knew Troy was as good as he was when he was drafted either. Certainly no one knew they were looking at a HOF player.

I think Cravens offers a lot though.

lol, Nope, I didn't. People need to slow down when reading :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I like the PFF grades. And while yes, there are some traits which can link Cravens to Troy, just remember 4.33 vs 4.65.

To me, that will be the difference between a HOFer and a solid pro bowl talent. I think Cravens has the instincts, production, physicality and tackling to make him a force in the NFL.

I'm glad there is some more discussion on Cravens. Ad I mentioned before, he did very well in his combine interviews. I think he is certainly a player coaches would love.

I'm not ready to anoint him at #25. I think he has some athletic limitations which may knock him out of round 1. Would love to get him in round 2.

21. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We are not taking that guy in the first round. He is nowhere near that talent level to warrant first round consideration.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Players Who Interviewed Well:

USC outside linebacker Su'A Cravens
    Ohio State offensive tackle Taylor Decker
    TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson
    Notre Dame wide receiver Will Fuller (multiple teams)
    Alabama running back Derrick Henry
    Stanford tight end Austin Hooper (multiple teams)
    UCLA outside linebacker Myles Jack
    Alabama center Ryan Kelly
    North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz (multiple teams)
    Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey (multiple teams)
    Notre Dame cornerback KeiVarae Russell
    Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley
    Ohio State wide receiver Michael Thomas
    Ole Miss left tackle Laremy Tunsil (multiple teams)

Mixed Feedback:

Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa
    Pitt wide receiver Tyler Boyd
    Cal quarterback Jared Goff (some teams said poor; others said he did well)
    Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg
    Arkansas tight end Hunter Henry
    Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch

Players Who Interviewed Poorly:

Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook
    Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott (multiple teams)
    Indiana running back Jordan Howard
    Ole Miss defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche (multiple teams)
    Texas defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am thinking this kid is more 2nd then 1st, not sure where all the 1st round talk is coming from but then again if the Steelers are considering Neal in the 1st anything is possible. :facepalm:

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    As a safety, I think Cravens is more of a 2nd round pick. However, for a team looking for a hybrid WLB/box safety, I would take him in round 1. I would overlook his athletic numbers.

While not the overuling authority, Pro Football Focus, who I do have alot of respect for, has him as a 1st round talent.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If we took Cravens or Neal in the first I would puke.