1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

7-Round Mock Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 21, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Gay is a good #1 for the Steelers defense, he's not a true shutdown CB. The Steelers weren't going to go pay for a true #1 CB in free agency, they got a hometown discount in re-signing Gay. By the third year of his contract if he sucks, they can cut him his contract isn't that big.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    gay is at best a decent #2 corner but has made his living as a good slot corner. we still need a #1. willie was a good signing for the money we paid no doubt, but we are not there yet.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Gay isn't a true number one nothing. At best, he's an "okay" number 2 but he'd be best in the slot. We need to draft a new # 1 cornerback and I don't care if he's a rookie because we can help him come along with a safety shaded his way and as the year goes along, he'll get better. But the key is getting that veteran safety that can make the right calls so he can be helped.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Forgot my links to some Derrick Alexander highlights...

pretty quick for a big guy, and he hustles. Saw a swim, rip, bull rush, 1-arm bull. That's some pretty good clay for John Mitchell to mold in the later rounds.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gay knows how to play football, and especially how the Steelers want it played.
    He is not the greatest cb in the league, but he knows how the Steelers want him to play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nice highlights for sure. He looks like he can line up anywhere in sub packages and have a chance to get pressure. I'll have to look for complete games on him. There are none on draftbreakdown.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

full games, all the rest seemed like highlights

he kills a guy on the goal line stand in 1st qrtr vs OU

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I just did this one on the Fanspeak Premium simulator. I think some folks will like the early round results. I started offering trades to get Hargreaves in the mid teens, and finally found a deal at pick #21. I traded this year's 4th, and next year's 4th. I also traded out of the 2nd to pick up a 4th, and then traded down again to pick up a 5th. I don't know much about my picks in the 6th and 7th. Every player I've watched was gone by then and I just made gut choices.

21: R1P21 CB VERNON HARGREAVES III FLORIDA
    64: R3P1 S VONN BELL OHIO STATE
    89: R3P26 WR BRAXTON MILLER OHIO STATE
    129: R4P30 DT JAVON HARGRAVE SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
    168: R5P28 CB JONATHAN JONES AUBURN
    221: R6P45 ILB BLAKE MARTINEZ STANFORD
    230: R7P8 OT KEITH LUMPKIN RUTGERS
    247: R7P25 G ALEX REDMOND UCLA

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    SE, I like picks 1, 3, 4 and 5 not a fan of Bell and don't know much about the rest. So you got me interested and I did one with a the idea of gaining picks while still hitting our needs via BPA, let me know what ya think:

Round 1 Pick 30 (CAR): Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson (A)
    Round 2 Pick 27: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 10 (MIA): Adolphus Washington, DT/DE, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 16 (PHI): Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 9 (MIA): Jack Allen, C, Michigan State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 25: Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana (B)
    Round 5 Pick 10 (NYG): Kevin Byard, SS, Middle Tennessee (C)
    Round 6 Pick 45 (COMP): Yannick Ngakoue, OLB, Maryland (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 13 (OAK): Anthony Zettel, DE, Penn State (A-)
    Round 7 Pick 25: Jake Coker, QB, Alabama (C)

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I really like Jack Allen. If they can get him and keep Finney and Allen as the interior swing guys, I'd be happy with that. I'm not sold on Hubbard and although I appreciate Wallace stepping up for Pouncey, I'd be fine with Allen taking that spot.

Ngakoue in the 6th would be a steal.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah early in the offseason I was pimping Allen and a few people were on me cause of Pouncey. I like the kid a ton and I think with Pouncey's history having a good backup can't hurt. I really love this draft cause we get a lot of positions taken care of with quality players. I was temped to pick Adams in the 7th to work on our "qimmick" offense with him and Miller. Also Frankie Williams went undrafted and I would sign him as well which imo would give us on heck of a secondary......Byard can pick it a little worried about his tackling but hey can't have it all.

I look at this draft like this...Secondary fixed for 3-4 years maybe more, adding Braxton helps our depth with the loss of Bryant, Zettel was once considered a stud so him here is a nice pick and you mention Nqakoue is a steal........

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Are you using that First Pick site? I don't find that one to be remotely realistic in some of the trades that are offered to you. I tried it a couple of times and gave up when someone offered me their 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders to move up a handful of spots. Fanspeak's premium draft is only $5 for the season, and let's you choose between several online big boards like CBS.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I use the first pick site, I just do it for fun. Thanks for the info on the other site.

14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We would blow our draft using a second round pick on a Wr.LOL .

We can use our 6th round pick for that.

15. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Bump. Let's see who gets closest. I am predicting a trade back, but let's assume they do not.

16. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    R1: Karl Joseph (SS)
    R2: Kendall Fuller (CB)
    R3: Javon Hargrave (DT)
    R4: Pharoah Cooper (WR)
    R6: Jatavis Brown (LB)
    R7: Tyler Ervin (HB/KR)
    R7: Tavon Young (CB)

Other Considerations:
    R1: WJ3, Butler, Billings, Reed, Robinson
    R2: Cash, Neal, Kenny Clark
    R3: Simmons, Killebrew
    R4: Dadi Nicolas, Kenyan Drake pass-rusher

Pre-Draft Edit: Added Tavon Young in the 7th.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  17. britishsteel

britishsteel Active Member

Apr 24, 2016
    What do you think to my draft?

R1 Andrew Billings DT Baylor
    R2 Vonn Bell FS Ohio St
    R3 Sean Davis CB Maryland
    R4 Kenyan Drake RB/KR Alabama
    R6 Tevin Carter Utah SS
    R7 Elandon Roberts ILB Houston
    R7 Moritz Boehringer WR

Only seen them on tape but all seems to show a bit of Steeler about them IMO.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Pretty good, but I think Sean Davis' best days ahead of him may be at S and not CB. If that were to happen then we would have taken 3 safeties and no corners. Just a thought...

19. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    From the "what should they do?" perspective, I don't like it. Any defensive tackle they take must be able to rotate at DE as well, and Billings isn't that kind of guy. Vonn Bell would be a great pick in the second. Sean Davis was one of the 30 visitors, but is more safety than corner. No need for a running back until next year. Don't need yet another safety in the 6th. Roberts is OK. Boehringer has the measurables; can he catch?

From a "what will they do?" perspective, I think it is highly unlikely that the draft unfolds this way. Can't see them going NT in the first, and never understood how Billings was linked to the Steelers in so many peoples minds. At least three of the picks will be from the list of 30 visitors. I think we will see a 5/2 split of, defense to offensive players, with a WR and OT on the offensive side. A wild card is a back up QB, which I think is likely if the right one is available in the 4th round or later.

20. britishsteel

Apr 24, 2016
    Fair point. Maybe Xavien Howard then, not sure he will be there for us in 3 though

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Round 3 seems to be a dead zone for CB imo, where we pick anyway. WR Pharoah Cooper could be an option in the 3rd or Caleb Benonoch maybe

22. britishsteel

Apr 24, 2016
    My reasoning with Billings is the ability to collapse the pocket especially on 3rd down, too many times last season we gave far too much time for opponent QBs to pick us apart. His destructive qualities together with Tuitt, Cam, Shazier and hopefully Dupree could give us a front 7 to be feared.
    Drake looks to be a ST monster/ change of pace back and kick punt returning is arguably one of greatest needs, Cyrus Jones could be another option and a CB/KR is probably a good fit, but I loved Drake's tape.
    I agree WR is more of a need than most people think and I like the look of Cooper and Tyler Boyd, but I think they will be gone by the time we want to take them.

23. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I've heard it all about Billings. He won't be in the game on third down. He's too short to rotate in at DE. Therefore, I believe it is highly unlikely that Billings will be the choice. Who knows, though? Last year Mel Kiper only got a few picks correct and he gets paid for his opinion.

24. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    Would not mind this, I think Bell could be a great compliment to Mitchell's in-the-box style.

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Wow, turtle, you think Benonoch has moved up all the way to the third? I really like him as a developmental tackle, but he's been available in the 6-7th round range in all the 100's of fanspeak.com mocks I've done (man I love that site!).