1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE.......

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    My friend, I've been following this franchise since the pre-Bradshaw days my friend. I'm right there with you in knowledge about how this team operates. And our FO realizes that with the recent morphing of the TE position, you need to have a TE that is a difference maker in the offense. The average, pedestrian TE philosophy is gone. Your # 1 TE doesn't have to be the world's greatest blocker anymore. There are some old and antiquated ways that must be changed; and that was one of them.

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You see, when Gronk keeps embarrassing you over and over, it makes you rethink your philosophies and standards. LOL.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They havent changed anything, blocking is still important to them, very important and Green can block.

No one here said he is Heath with his blocking, you're twisting that all on your own. But the guy can block for sure.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gronk is a very good blocker, he's the complete package. Try again.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Agreed..Gronk is. But he's also a mismatch nightmare in the receiving game. but everyone can't get a Gronk.

So you do the best you can. I've watched Green waaaaaaaaaaaaay before we got him. And he's nothing to write home to momma about when it comes to blocking. He's primarily a catching TE.

If he picks up some weight to handle the blocking duties better, I'm all for that. But I'm telling what he's been before we got him. Try again.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I tend to agree with this. Some teams don't use their TE as much as others in the passing game, but this is a passing league and if you have a guy at the TE position that can move and catch like a WR then it's a good thing. The TE position has changed... its not a glorified T anymore. While you want a guy that excels in all areas, a lot of teams are going with guys that are better receivers than blockers.

If Ladarius is at 250 like he says he is, then he should be able to stay on his blocks a little better. He's been a decent blocker, but not great. He will definitely be used differently than Heath was, so it shouldn't be that big of an issue. We'd be crazy to plug him in and ask him to do what Heath did. He brings aspects to the position that Heath didn't have too. Let's try to use him in a way that he gets to use his strengths.

I'm really excited to see what he brings to our offense. He's basically a big, fast WR that can block some on the line if we need him to. Hopefully he can help improve our RZ offense and take advantage of all the space AB, Marty and Bell create out on the field.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If you are talking about watching him on Sundays then you have a very incomplete opinion of his skills as a blocker. Because if you are like most people, your eyes never leave the football which means you are only aware of Green when he is catching the ball. Doesn't tell you much about his blocking does it.

If you watch him on the All 22 (highly recommend if you don't) then you'll see he does his job, he engages and keeps his man out of the play.

No one is saying he is a great blocker that pancakes people but he can block which is a prerequisite if you want to play for the Steelers. They haven't changed that approach, you're just making that stuff up when you say that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Dude, I've watched Green here in Southern California for two years. I'm in Charger land. And all that is/ was talked about him is his receiving skills. His blocking is nothing to write home to momma about. Never has been. Maybe he's told Tomlin and company he wants to be a more complete TE and be a better blocker. And the FO went with that. But all I can tell you is that what he has shown with the Chargers was grade "C" blocking; and I'm being kind on that. I'm telling you what I've seen. Hopefully he takes the next steps in becoming a more complete TE.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You sure write momma a lot.

Like I said, watching Sunday football isnt the same as watching film, its clear as day he can block to anyone that wants to look. Saying he can block isnt the same as saying he blocks like Heath.

Yes, hes known for his receiving skills, no one is disputing that.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    And I think the prerequisites have changed a bit. And I submit Green as proof of that because this organization could have stayed with the status quo of the type of TE's they historically take; but they didn't. They went and got a speed TE. And gave him good coin to boot! So I dont think he's here to block 50% of the time. LOL.

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    A TE who was getting cuncused up too. Doesn't seem like the "mix it up in the trenches" type of guy. But I could be wrong. We'll see.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Rumor has it that when the Steelers lost out on Coby Fleener, who signed with the Colts, they went after L. Green. If that's the case, I would think the Steelers were looking for more of a receiving TE to begin with. Dwayne Allen was the Colts blocking TE for the most part and Fleener was the receiver. Might have heard this from Schefter or LaCanfora on NFL network I can't recall. If true though, it would give an indication of their goal to get a receiving type TE. I'm not saying they are moving away from the all around TE (blocking and receiving), but maybe they wanted to add another element with Bryant's troubles. Just something to add to the discussion.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

this could be an addition because of bryant. we also have added some blocking and i expect we could see harris used as an extra blocker during the season while green helps out in the passing game. spaeth and james and nix will be counted on with harris i assume to allow ben to stay upright and green to become a guy defenses have to account for more. all this just make defending us more difficult. green will have his share of blocking duties as well, but we have options to our disposal. :cool:

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

you'll love this article

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/03/22/384442/

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    See?? They went after two catching TE's. And we know Fleener is a terrible blocker. LOL. It's hard for people to admit to change. There is a change in TE philosophy on this team. At least at one of the TE positions.

16. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
  17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They do mention Henry, but it's more about Tyler Higbee. (NYs man crush lol, like mine on Sandland, who's pro day was today, over 10 teams in attendance and it snowed, lol)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No one ever said Green wasnt primarily a pass catching TE, only that he could block. And before you incorrectly reply to that, it just means he can block, not that he is the best blocker in the world.

Whether you want to admit it or not, if you don't block, you don't play for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow thanks for the post, what makes me happy is a lot of what I was pointing out here was pointed out in this article. Heck I even pointed out the block they showed on the TD in one post. The sad part is I think TE is off our board and if this guy noticed him you can bet other teams are and I would not be surprised if he climbs into the 2nd round. I didn't know about his injuries they do worry me. Just a question for you and anyone else who wants to chime in, does this article change your opinion on him?

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

:sign0020:

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    you can always add reviews like that into the mix no doubt. But I like to see a couple games to be sure. A lot of great reviews out there about prospects I don't like (emanual ogbah for example). everyone has their own take and see different things. I did like the article for pointing out some of his blocking so I can look for that in games, that's where they're most helpful imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh I thought you watched some when we(I) was going on about him. Not for nothing but a lot in that article is what I have been saying. If you do watch him look at how many balls he drops....I don't think I saw any that he did. Also he does whiff on some blocking but he does get some good block in as well, none better then the one in that article pointed out ad that was a td run. Very good hands, good after the catch and does block.....oh man man crush coming back out!!!!!! lmao.....

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

maybe SGSteeler?? I haven't looked a ton into them except some late rounders. And Henry after the initial hype. Once they signed Green, I have been concentrating on D

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I know me and Blast were talking about it I just thought you were in the conversation, no problem don't waste your time we need to focus on D now. However if we end up him I may go ape ****....... lol