1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier's hit changing the rule book.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Mar 21, 2016.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  4. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    attachment-1.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I tried following the link but found the page was impossible to navigate. Maybe just my browser?

But they may as well introduce a fan voting system where if the hit "looks" bad, then it draws a flag...

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The refs won't need to worry about geometry now, whereas before they did, because they had to consider whether an angle was involved. It's easier now. If you hit with the crown of your helmet outside the tackle box, it's an illegal hit. Seems pretty basic to me.

7. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Easier to penalize the defensive players when they are actually trying to tackle the allowed targeted area and the ball carrier then lowering his head at the last millisecond to that legal spot as was the case with this H2H hit.

I think the result will also be a lot more neck injuries, especially to defensive players. You think tackling is bad now in the league wait until the player has to go through his "what is acceptable?" list.

8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    The link isn't that bad if you just click and get through the commercials.

The coverage is vague as can be when it comes to covering that new rule and the Bengal sports beat writer is even worse. Holding his cell phone covering in a selfie mode without even the selfie stick. And to think I was laughing how ridiculous those were not too long ago but here is a situation where it's justifiable, at least if you're going to go for the extremely cheap coverage.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You know what's great about homer newspapers?

They always only talk about things being changed that would have benefited the home team.

No mention of the fact that Peko should have been penalized for the separation of Porter from the training staff in the first place.

ditto on the missed personal foul by 55 with the knee to shoulder area after the sack and ripping his arm off to trying and strip the ball after he was down.

Maybe the gift personal fouls as 55 instigated by stepping on linesmen feet.

Why Munchak got a PF for the cornerback attempting to taunt a runner who was in the middle of the bench area?

same thing for the "group" celebration with the convoy of players and COACHES running on the field all the way to the locker room.

We can go on and on.

I get that they're still coping, but let it go already....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I perceived Shazier's hit to clearly be helmet to helmet but also noticed Bernard's lateral movement to have carried his head into Shazier's path.

This stuff happens. Players will misjudge tackles. It isn't possible to avoid incidental helmet to helmet contact.

My opinion remains that personal fouls should not be enforced during a game. 15 yard penalties for shoving a QB or pushing a guy out of bounds have decided the outcomes of games.

Instead, the NFL should hammer players with fines and suspensions for intentional infractions.

It is a poor joke that Burfict even played the Steelers in the playoffs. Burfict's hit on Maxx Williams in week 17 was so dirty it would make George Atkinson cringe.

Minimum 1 game suspension for any helmet to helmet launching would abruptly end the play of Brandon Merriweather types. And I don't mean incidental contact like Shazier on Bernard that was damn near a form tackle I mean launching. There will always be a gray area and as long as the NFL employs the judgement of Dean Blandino types the sport will suffer.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Another new rule change made, if a player grabs the jersey up high around the name plate that will be considered a horse collar tackle now, so now both grabbing the pads and the jersey up high will be a HC penalty........

12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You have miliseconds to make a decision on a tackle; how's a guys suppose to remember all the places he can't grab someone? Like Sherman said, too many suits making decisions about stuff they know nothing about.

Injuries are part of the game and you can't get ALL the injuries out of football. It's a collision sport; A spartan sport.

13. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-3-22_19-18-39.png

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I get that change though. I've been saying it since they had the horse collar rule in place the jersey and the pads are basically the same thing. That's why 55 didn't get penalized for Bell's injury. he had him around the front and wrenched back. I'ts the pulling back of the upper body with the restriction of the lower body they want to limit as it tends to tear acl/mcl/pcl's

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, more rules to make the defenses` job harder... That`ll make it better...
    UGGHH...:rolleyes::facepalm:

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That's an interesting idea. On the one hand, I like it, because that kind of stuff doesn't seem to affect the game in and of itself; only when the penalty is called.

I suppose the counter-argument is that, if the penalty isn't immediate, then it won't stop dirty play happening (think about how much of a target a QB like Ben is for that ****). A fine doesn't seem to mean much to a player's salary, at least if they're a starter.

What we really need is more consistency in the way they're called. But I kind of sympathise with the refs on that, as so many calls are down to interpretation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How many rules have been created or changed bc of the Steeler's defense? :shrug:

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    All of them... I think.

19. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So is hair tackling still legal????

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Here is the 7 new rule changes to go in effect for the 2016 season:

• Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for Try kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed Try.

• Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether they are on the field or in the coaches' booth.

• Makes all chop blocks illegal.

• Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the name plate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.

• Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.

• Eliminates the five-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.

• Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Throw on top of that..... once they get two personal fouls.... they'd be ejected. So make the tackle wrong twice and you sit a week and get fined.

NFL in 10 years:

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Throw on top of that..... once they get two personal fouls.... they'd be ejected. So make the tackle wrong twice and you sit a week and get fined.

Actually the ejection rule wasnt passed on a permanent basis, it passed on a 1 year trial basis to be taken up again after the 2016 season ends to be thrown out or made permanent....

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Actually its for 2 Unsportsmanlike conduct fouls...not any personal foul.

Also touchbacks will now be moved to the 25 yard line instead of 20.

And just like Diamond said its a 1 year "trial".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...asses-automatic-ejection-rule-for-2016-season

Also teams do not have the pre-designate an IR to return player...the other rules apply, so many weeks on IR/etc. Basically they can pick any player on IR at any team as the 1 return player. I think this is great, so if say like this year when they did Pouncey...if they knew he wouldn't return they could pick someone else who could have.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  24. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    {Under the new automatic ejection rule, 2 players would've been ejected the entire 2015 season}

Probably both Bungles Jones and Burfict.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Renegade video in a few years is going to be really boring!