1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Bryant ever play for the Steelers again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i know they won't release him now, they'll wait and see how things work out over the next yr. But the fairly terse team statement about how they were disapointed, that he needs to understand that he has to make changes in his life and that he needs to develop discipline, all point to me that they're fed up.

With a year of idle time on his hands, and a track record of not being able to comply with the substance policy despite repeated warning and punishment, I can't think that the odds are good that he'll right himself.

Given that, it's quite likely that we never see MB again in Black&Gold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I really, really hope so. It would be awesome to see him get straight and be the NFL comeback player of the year in 2017 as a Steeler. However, we've seen how this type of situation usually plays out with young NFL players who have these issues (Blackmon, Gordon), plus we saw how the Steelers handled Santonio a few years back. Given all of that, if I had to wager money, I would say that he's likely played his last game as a Steeler. Hope my guess is wrong.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't see why he wouldn't be given another chance of he's serious about trying to turn his life around. He is an awesome talent and we have him for two years after his suspension is up. That's two years of having an elite type talent on a rookie salary. That's huge in the NFL.

I will say that if he isn't that serious about changing his life or if he screws up again between now and the end of his suspension, then yeah he has played his last down as a Steeler (and likely in the NFL).

4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-3-15_13-44-7.png

And we know what the haze is from

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree with what both, Elvis and SG, had to say.

The Steelers, traditionally don't mess around with this type of stuff, but if the kid is having other problems, leading to the drug issues, then maybe they want to give him an opportunity to get his life right. I hope we can keep him around because, as mentioned, he's a phenomenal talent and we would have him for 2 more years on a rookie contract.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He'll play again. As SG said, they have him for 2 more years. If hes entered rehab as has been reported, that shows he is trying to turn things around, the Steelers won't turn their back on him if he's trying.

However, once he is back on the team and things are rosey again, I think the more important question becomes, can he avoid another suspension. I don't know but I absolutely believe he will suit up for the Steelers again.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If Coates emerges, I'd let Bryant build back up some trade value and then I'd move him.

8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    If he really has a problem beyond being a pot head... and if he's really trying to get help and work on it... he'll be back and could still have a long, great career. Obviously, we know what the down sides are.

It's out of my mind for 2016. Brown, Coates, Wheaton, Bey, Someone ... and let's roll!

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    We will see how he handles this but from the sounds of it he is still in their plans for the future.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm going to say yes. He has too much upside to cast away.
    Not like the Steelers are on the hook for his pay this year, what do you have to lose?
    Chris Carter had his share of problems and he straightened himself out.
    Bad part is that he had to leave the Eagles in order to do it.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If he doesn't get his head on straight, he won't be playing for anyone

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He could use somebody like Cris Carter to be his mentor

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Costs nothing to wait to see where he is next year. With a clean noggin, he has a world of potential. Otherwise, nothing lost that isn't already lost.

I wish him well.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would like to believe he will but I have serious doubts. He just comes off as somebody who really couldn't care less to me. Hope I'm wrong though and he gets it together. It'd be a shame to see such talent go to waste.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets talk about who we have available to us, enough about who is not here.
    MB has left a lot of people/teamates down.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A year is a LONG time. The Steelers will give him a bit more rope. He won't be getting paid this season being on the commissioners suspended list. Hope the kid gets the help he needs and I believe that the pot is just a part of his issues. One more gaff and he will be gone...

17. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Are you kidding me people? This dude has flushed his chance to get a 70 million contract down the toilet for some weed------------ The chances of him getting his head straightened out are slim to none........... There not gonna cut him cause they do not want the bengals or ravens to pick him up. If the steelers really wanted him back they would have said you are gonna protest this, go to your treatment facility and get your head straight and then get ready for the playoff run. This tells me they can not stand him and will not reserve a starting spot for him..........

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It's more likely the Steelers told him not to appeal, serve your suspension and get your **** together or your gone.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will get another chance if he still wants it . Maybe playing Pro Ball is part of his problem ? If it is he may not want to come back .

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Carter was a head case on drugs his first 4 years in the league, hardly a role model for a young player in his 3rd year. As far as Bryant coming back here, teams tend to move on without a player on a 1 year suspension, if this season pans out as we expect it too, they most likely will not have bryant in their future plans....

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What better person to give advice then from a guy who has been there and beat his demons. People in Bryants situation tend to respond better to people that have been where they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Just to clarify things. The intent of the question is not whether the Steelers will cut him loose. At least for now that answer is obvious: they won't because it costs them nothing to keep his rights for a year, and see how things turn out.

The real question is: Do you think MB's behavior will be such that he has no further violations and that he gets to a point where he can be re-instated? And will that happen before the Steelers lose the last of their patience?

My guess is that there's less than a 20% chance of that happening. And we've likely seen the last of Bryant in Steeler uniform, or any other uni for that matter.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm nit picking on one note above. He is suspended for a year. He is not eligible to "get ready for a playoff run". It's a full year.

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bryant already has two strikes so he only has one more chance. This situation reminds me a lot of the one with Tim Worley. Cowher came in and told him he was going to build the offense around him and then he got himself suspended for a season. Barry Foster made it a non problem for the Steelers. Hopefully Sammie Coates does the same.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Duh Carter had his own demons with alcohol and drugs, he straightened his life out after the Eagles cut him.