1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We won't draft a TE until day three!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Mar 5, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

:shrug:..... What the hell do I know anyways, I am just a fan behind a puter...lmao! It was fun talking about for awhile, love talking this stuff with other fans. No matter what I am rooting for the steelers, so come on Green get in the endzone, lol.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You were right about the "move TE" tho. Green is much more of a pass catcher than he is a blocker. I didn't think they would target a TE like that. I was wrong haha maybe your boy Higbee would've been more of a fit than I thought.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

LOL, I just see this team with the FB now to step in for what we lost in Heath and the TE being another weapon.....at least in my mind. I can hope maybe Higbee in the 7th???????????????? lol

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

We signed Green; A pass catching TE. I accept your apology.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What the heck is wrong with you, I think the conversation was about talent in this TE class......which you still haven't answered, only what you read not seen. As for an apology..............not a chance. I think I was the guy talking about a pass catching TE!

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you mean that he isnt Heath in his blocking abilities, who is but he blocks pretty well. You dont play for the Steelers if you cant block.

From what I saw, Higbee was pretty bad at it (sorry NY!) but I agree with Elvis breakdown.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    The front office answered the question. They went and got a free agent to answer that need. Not a guy in the draft. And you were the guy talking about a pass catching TE AND a TE that can block.

Green weighs 240; not going to be able to block against the bigger D-line guys; he's hear for pass catching.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Still the question was to you, for you to do the homework. This has nothing to do with what the front office did, you made a statement about this draft class being weak....FROM WHAT YOU READ. I put out the link for you to watch some guys so you could give all of us your opinion from what you saw on film instead of what you read on the web.

Now with that behind us you still have me confused about a pass catching TE. Yes I want a TE that can block as well and if you have followed my postings you will see I am leaning towards TE's who are more pass catcher friendly then blocker friendly.....hint hint HIGBEE! But they do need to do both, and I am sure Green will do both.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    :noose:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Noooooo

I didn't need to do any "homework" on a TE class that is average at best. And the FO agreed with me by answer the need through free agency. So, just because I didn't feel the need to do homework on a sub par group, the FO validated that. They didn't want to invest too much time in them either. Obviously. LOL

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I look at "real" need areas like our secondary, OLB and D-line (depth) . That's where our FO is doing their "homework" on. :rolleyes:

Don't have time to look at a position where nobody is special in. Those guys come a dime a dozen.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thank god you are not in the front office..............

13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not devaluing the TE position. But we drafted a guy (JJ) last year. And everyone is acting like the sky is falling at the position. It wasn't; it isn't. We all know the three areas we need to address to get to where we want to go. That's where my focus is.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Good talent evaluaters don't have tunnel vision and that's why Colbert is good at what he does, oh wait that's right you don't like Colbert.....now I understand!!!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Cleveland has a few of those.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Lmao, stupid auto correct..................:sign0020:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    He's getting paid to do his job in that fashion; as a fan, I'm not. Oh wait....seems this "gm" your praising hasn't done anything significant for the area called the "secondary" in over 5 years. Yeah...that's a guy who sure has been looking at every position on the team. :rolleyes: The proof is in the pudding.

18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Colbert has left our team high and dry in the secondary for years and you say he's great????

You go look at the last draft at how the Chiefs punked him and took Peters and then the Ravens swooped in and took Maxx Williams. Please.

Colbert isn't the worse GM; but he damn sure isn't anywhere near the best.

You don't buy a windshield wiper to fix a flat tire on a car. In thsi day and age, there are athletes in the secondary. Our history has athletes in the secondary from Woodson to Carnell Lake. And those guys excelled. So for Colbert to act like you can just put a warm body in the secondary and were suppose to be able to excel is a joke and an insult to our history.

19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Clevland may have a few but they have no GM. LOL. No one who supplies any direction. And that's the way they like it.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You keep driving the one point home about the secondary, that's all you got and that ain't much. You are forgetting the fact that they had an answer in Allen, it isn't Colbert's fault after getting the big contract Allen fell off the face of the Earth, he's a GM not a Physic. As far as Peters goes it has been talked about enough here already, move on:beathorse:! Now listen I don't believe I said Colbert was great I said he has done a great job, as you continue to bash him. I will not disagree with you that our secondary is crap, but as a team who don't build thru FA I think he has done a very good job making this team competitive every year thru the draft. You can't fix everything thru the draft, but all in all he has been good for this team overall.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The steelers never would have selected LG if he can't block, in the Steelers
    offensive game plan, it is a must that the TE will block. Yes the position
    will be expected to catch 70-75 / year but blocking is very important.

22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    You made it a point that a GM looks at "every" area of a team. I just showed you that Colbert hasn't seriously looked at the secondary in 5 years. He's focused in on 5 areas max. Colbert isn't the worse GM in the league. But he's nowhere near the best either. That's all. Move on.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Stop stop stop with all the Colbert hate, so lets look at something right off the bat we had 2 of the best S in football back there we also had Ike. Now if you want to say we didn't prepare for their loss fine but don't say he only looks at 5 areas max. If he looked at only 5 areas max he wouldn't have a job and we wouldn't be competitive every year. Injuries have played a major role in the last few seasons during our playoff drought.

2011 back to back picks at DB in the 3rd and 4th round tried to help the depth there. Oh and by the way one of them guys proved he was good enough to be given a big contract. We addressed the safety position in 2013 in the 4th round and just this past season CB in the 2nd. You don't hit 100%, sorry it don't happen. You are pretty new here and since you been here I have to wonder if you are even a Steeler fan, and if so why....I think I asked this around your 40th post but all I heard was more hate.

Our secondary is bad....BAD but no need for the hate on Colbert. If anything we all should thank the lord he is here cause as a team who don't spend in FA we have to rely on the draft so when we do re sign our guys they work out. We are competitive every year, Colbert has to have something to do with that cause we won with Cowher and we won with Tomlin what is the connection.......COLBERT!! Now let's move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ill add that he drafted a CB in the 2nd and 4th last year. Added Mitchell as a FA the year before.

Doesn't sound like he's ignoring it. You can't address every need at once in the first rd though and his focus there has been rebuilding the line. An approach I agree with.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Couldn't agree more. Wonderful job up to this point by the Steelers. Now lets go get a safety, cb, olb/edge rusher and cut
    Will Allen, Shamarko Thomas, Cortez Allen & Antwan Blake and Spaeth, and you have had a pretty decent off season:)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016