1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We won't draft a TE until day three!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    4th round sounds about right.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we will look at free agency for a te .mark it down

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    With the current pool of TE in the draft you could be spot on Freak.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I respectfully disagree, I think this class is better then most think. Henry, Hooper, Higbee and Vannett are pretty solid. Then you have guys that are better at one part of the game but have talent like: Magee, Williams, Morgan and Coble. I have read some here like Sandland but I don't know much about him and the last guy is one to watch Adams. I read that the bad qb play affected Adams season and when you watch him on draftbreakdown you can see that, I think Adams could be a sleeper pick, jmo.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    All the draft people I"ve heard say this group of TE's are weak.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i would have liked dwight allen but the colt signed him to a big contract ,maybe larsdarius green

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well see for yourself instead of post what other people say and then let me know. Here's the link very curious to hear what your opinion is of each of the players I mentioned after you watch some of them.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?draft_class=2016&position=TE

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know. Is this the same draft people who said Apple can tackle? :lolol:

Have to watch film for yourself, formulate your own opinion. Dont be a sheeple.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Dude, relax. My focus is not on the TE position because Jesse James has been here for a year now and he should be able to do most of heath's duties. I didn't say all his duties, I said most.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    And there is no TE that is going to come in from the draft and be that much of an impact anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I wasn't lashing back to you I was just telling you to see for yourself, anyone can read things but check it out yourself before you can judge. How can you give an opinion on what others say, watch some of these guy and let me know. For the record I am a James fan but I have no problem drafting any of the guys I mentioned. I especially think one guy is a nice fit for our passing offense. I will stop posting about him, lol!

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So NY, I watched both of Higbee's games on draftbreakdown to get an understanding of what you see in him. I would agree that he offers potential as a receiving TE, but I don't see much as a blocker. His blocking success rate against Indiana had to be below 50%. I was charting the plays in my head for the first 10 plays or so and it was like "whiff, his man makes tackle... whiff, his man alters play... engages man, but his man establishes outside contain and turns play inside..." Against Marshall he did better, but not well enough to be considered an NFL-caliber blocking prospect. The only other TEs I've watched much on are Henry and Vannett, and they are both light years ahead of Higbee. Guys like this get drafted every year, and most wash out of the league. He reminds me of Michael Egnew out of Missouri who was a receiving TE that blew up the combine and was drafted in the 3rd round in 2012, but never made it because he couldn't block, and his receiving skills that looked so intriguing at the college level didn't stand out as much in the pros. He even spent some time on our practice squad after bouncing between a few teams. I'm not saying the Higbee is going to wash like Egnew out based on watching just two tapes, but for our system I wouldn't have him on our radar at any point in the draft - not even the 7th round. We don't use receiving-only TEs, and we already have a stable of receivers better than him. That's my view anyway.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

SE, thanks for taking the time to watch him, I have said in another post that he engages but misses. What I also saw was a guy who did block well at some points in his game. Now here is my thinking and why I am so high on him. You can't teach engaging but you can fix whiffing. I know as far as a blocker he is on the weak side and from what I have read so does he cause this is a point some writers have said he is working hard on. Now the other thing I absolutely love is his hands, in the small sample that I have watched he don't drop passes(this in my main attraction with him). Now with that said for him to come into this style offense I am not sure he would pan out but I feel he has a good chance with the right help. We have James here already so why draft a TE at #1 if the Steelers feel James is the guy....which I have heard mentioned a few times now on Sirius radio. The other thing is we are an ever changing offense and why can't we have a pass catching TE? We never ever thought we would be a passing team for decades we were ground and pound and a defensive team....we aren't anymore.

I highly respect your opinion and really am thankful you took the time to watch instead of just read and comment. I do see weakness in his game however I do see strengths that I feel can help a team in the "new" NFL. I will say with all our needs I would not go any higher then a 4th but I feel he is a very nice fit in our system especially with the use of the fullbacks we have on the roster. Another thing is I don't feel this kid could just go to any team and succeed, I do think us, the Saints and the Packers are very good fits for this kids, jmo.

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So what do you see happening next? Looks like you may have hit this on the head.

• Like Like x 1
  15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    wait let me study and see what is left on the table after the first wave ....ahahahahah

• Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Boom. Got Ladarius Green right in a later post too. Nice work freak! What numbers should I pick for the lottery tonight? Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't know your lottery ..try 13 my favourite number ...but don't mark it down this time ...ahahah

btw let's wait to see it official

18. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    13 is mine as well.

19. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    If this deal really happens, I love it! Let's break this down:

WR - Resigned DHB and have all 5 of a very productive WR core back.

TE - You just solidified this group by adding a FA (It reminds me of the Mitchell signing. You lose a vet, don't have a guy you yet trust at the position, so you bring in another young vet you like)

OL - You get back Foster. If you can add Beachum, you have no need to draft any player at the Oline position.

RB - You already are set here thanks to a good showing from Toussaint last year and Nix as well.

QB - You don't need someone in the top 4 rounds, but may take someone in the 7th.

You have just put yourself into position to focus almost exclusively on defensive talent in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  21. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Don't play with my emotions okay?

22. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    What makes you think that I am playing with your emotions:

Projected O Roster:

Ben
    Jones
    TBD
    Bell
    Williams
    Toussaint
    Nix
    Brown
    Bryant
    Wheaton
    Coates
    DHB
    Green
    James
    Spaeth
    AV
    Foster
    Pouncey
    DeCastro
    Gilbert
    Hubbard
    Wallace
    Adams
    Beachum??

That is MAYBE 2 openings on offense.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

there ya go, fixed that for ya tar heel. right state wrong team i'm guessing with thuney. LOL.:smiley1::cool:

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    You called it Freak, lets add TE to the position the Steelers won't be drafting.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess the Steelers didn't agree?

• Agree Agree x 1