1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE.......

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just because it shouldn't be addressed in the first doesn't mean its not a need, it's just not the most glaring one. I'll be surprised if they don't take one by the 3rd.

2. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm not saying it shouldn't be addressed at all; what I'm saying is that it's not the priority that people make it to be OVER the needs in the secondary.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    vernon davis isn't the blocker heath is either. heath made our run game better and he helped our passing game by receiving and staying in to block to help our tackles out and keep our franchise qb upright. we beat the broncos once and had them beat a second time if it wasn't for a fumble. i rest my case.:cool:

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Dude, there are a bunch........a bunch of blocking TE in the league. Finding a TE that can block won't be an issue. And Jesse James will be better with a season under his belt. So I"m not concerned with finding a TE that can block. But I don't believe in using a first or second round pick on a TE when our other needs are much more of a priority.

TE that can block are a dime a dozen. :rolleyes:

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not that can block and catch as well as Heath did. Usually its one or the other. Heaths blocking was so good it was like having an extra lineman and then he could also go out and catch as well as he did. Theres not a dime a dozen of those.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    True....and there isn't one in the draft either. So our best hope is that Jesse James makes that leap because he's getting first crack at the position.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO it's a real weak class,any TE selected before the 4th unless Henry makes it to our third ,which won't happen would be a wasted pick in our small window we have to win in. I like JJames and his potential ,he is either underrated or overlooked athletically I think he has a good chance to be a very solid player for us.
    Spaeth is serviceable for now but my wildcard is Will J. They really like Nix at FB so I think that gives WJ a chance to focus more on the TE position. I always felt he is underused and has the skills to make a good H -back which is essentially what Heath had become.....JMO. Priority is to strengthen our D ,offense has all it needs ,just need to keep our stars healthy.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    One of the things I'm frustrated about is that we need to add depth. It's been a real issue. But how do we do that and adequately fix the areas we need to fix? What I wouldn't give for an additional 4 picks.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Vernon Davis is a shell of his former self and I personally wouldn't want to waste the FA dollars. If they sign anyone, I'd be on board with L. Green from the Chargers and I'm not entirely sold on him either. I hope they don't draft a TE in the first 3 rounds. Just too many skilled defensive players and the TEs did not impress me much. I'd take Sandland with the first 7th rounder if he lasts that long.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I hear ya. If we used ALL our draft picks just on the defensive side of the team, I wouldn't be too mad. But I have to admit that I'm fixated on upgrading that secondary with real talent. I'm underwhelmed with the guys we drafted last year in the secondary.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

This is why I have been saying trade back, just a couple of picks could yield us 2 extra picks.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    did
    did i say we need one in the first or second dude? we do have a need though as you said it wasn't a need. if we use one as a receiver and one as a blocker that takes some other weapon off the field. we need another good one that can do both. heath helped this offense function a lot more than you are giving him credit for, believe it. we have been trying for years to find one to replace heath and have been unsuccessful so far. it's not as easy as you think. :cool:

13. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I know it's not easy to find a TE that can block AND catch. Your right. But there isn't one in the draft either. So with that said, we got Jesse James last year and he's going to be father along then anyone who we get in the draft or free agency. By now, James is familiar with the system, and knows exactly how to prepare and knows what's ahead for him and what is expected of him. He's our best opition; He's going to be our starter. So just securing another TE that can block can be done easily. That's what most TE's do.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Scott Chandler may be a decent, inexpensive retread to pair with James and Spaeth (or a later round pick) if he passes a physical. He failed a physical with the Pats prior to his cut, but that cut was at least partly cap-related, so I don't know how serious the failed physical really is.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess the Steelers thought the TE position was pretty important:). Now lets go get that safety and edge rusher and CB and we will have all bases covered.

17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    They sure did. And it was with a pass catching TE too. At 239-240, he won't be known for his blocking.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He blocks fine, 240lbs isn't Dri Archer :lolol:

Steelers wont put a guy on the field that can't block.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I"ve watched Green for two years.He's "okay" at blocking. Nothing to write home to momma about.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers disagree with you so I guess you are wrong :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i guess will j. is gone now. if grimble still shows up, it could be a year we keep 4 TE's until spaeth finally retires. it also gives us one more year with JJ as we ease him in the offense more. :cool:

22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Not true; Steelers disagreed with the majority in saying the TE has to be a bone crushing blocker. And Green isn't. They disagreed with YOU! :roflmao:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe the majority said they have to do both and the bone crushing thingy was all you. green can block and i think james daniels will help him along. no he's not heath miller. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah grasshopper, you have much to learn. Clearly they don't disagree with me. If you know anything about the Steelers, then you'd know they'd never bring in a TE that doesn't block well. Blocking is pretty important to them, important enough that Tomlin has said that if you can't block, you don't play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep Grimble and get rid of that POS Spaeth. Thats why we have coaches. We don't need to hold onto this dead wood.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016