1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vontaze Burfict blames Bengals teammate for playoff loss to Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Guest, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Burfict was asked directly if he blamed himself for the loss against the Steelers.

"No, I don't," Burfict said.

"There was only a minute left in the game," Burfict said. "Coach always says, 'Trust a teammate to pack your parachute,' and I trusted my teammate. I don't want to say any names, but I trusted my teammates to execute and finish the game."

Burfict is almost certainly referring to running back Jeremy Hill, who lost a fumble to the Steelers in Pittsburgh territory -- after the Bengals got the ball on a Burfict interception -- with just 1:23 left in the game. Unlike Burfict, Hill was willing to take responsibility for the loss.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...bengals-teammate-for-playoff-loss-to-steelers

The comments at the end of the article are a real hoot!

The Vontaze Burfict interview...

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What a great teammate! Love that Gunther wants to keep him as a coach when he retires as a player. Got to keep that toxic Bengals culture going strong

:smashbengals:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    eyeroll.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

If, and this is a big IF, Vontaze Burfect ever starts playing the game the way Gooddell has established it during his tenure then I would love for him to play for the Steelers. He can single handedly disrupt an entire offense for 60 minutes.

Steelers fans may not want to admit it but this guy has a very high football IQ and is a great tackler when he doesn't add the extra crap that sometimes results in injuries.

There is no doubt though that he does need to adjust his game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    triple facepalm.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You'll be waiting a long time, he's a thug pos that has played this way his whole life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    bungals.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Up until now, there were very little consequences outside of just not being drafted. The guy was picked up as a UDFA and made himself a starter and a force to be reckon with in the NFL. Right now, he has no choice but to either shape up or ship out. I'm betting that it is the former if he ever wants to see a successful future. I'm not a big supporter of his current style but if you cannot see talent and potential there then you are either not paying attention or just overall blind.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have to question your eyes sight, never said he wasn't a talented football player. Said he's a thug pos, thought that was pretty succinct.

And, Im betting its the later, he won't change and suspect his next suspension will be half a season minimum.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Ahh, The old thug pos that won't change argument. Seems to me that Ray Lewis was considered that as well for most of his early career but yet he was never suspended once and for some odd reason we see him every Sunday during football season as an analyst. I see very much the same similarities between the two on the football field. Off the field, Burfect hasn't gotten away with the accessory to murder charge and probably won't put himself in the situation if he has half a brain.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why are you comparing off field issues to on field issues? We are discussing Burficts play on the field, his actions on the field is that of a thug pos, not going to apologize if that characterization offends you.

He's played this way his whole college and NFL career. You want to ignore that, go head, you want to like him, go ahead but the guy is what he is, a dirty player.

Doesn't matter how good he is, because his thug pos nature will surface and cost a team in the playoffs just like it did for Cincy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Can a Bengal tiger change its stripes? I'm not sure. The quote from him that gives me pause is the one where he told Goodell that he can't care about injuring his opponent because he might end up not making a play (or something to that effect). Ummm... BS! There are plenty of great defenders who play the game right, and don't cross the line between playing aggressive and playing dirty. Burfict doesn't get it, and I think that line makes it clear. His ONLY motivation to change is to avoid hits to his wallet, and that's a shame.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Get back to me when this big change happens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The most damning is the not taking blame.

You punked out and said you take no responsibility for the loss. It was your "Teammate or Teammates"! WTF?

Did he slip up and say Porter wasn't talking crap to him right after he said Porter always talks crap and starts stuff? I'm pretty sure he said that he wasn't talking crap to him and actually was trying to give him some advise.

18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

If it does happen, I'll be sure to let you know. Only Vontaze can assure that but there is no denying that he has the potential to be one of the best LB's in the league. He just has a dirty reputation to overcome and rightfully so. Not an easy task to convince the league players and fan bases but not impossible either.

It doesn't take much to be labeled a dirty player in this league. Outside of Pgh, Hines Ward was and James Harrison is among the top dirtiest players. I don't agree with that but that's just the way it is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I said this during his draft year. We should have taken a flyer on him very late in the draft. There was way too much potential there to pass up. Imagine the player he could have been if he came up doing things the Steeler way, instead of the Bungle way. He's a force that needs some leadership.

With that said, we didn't draft him and he's not a player I respect whatsoever. He's a piece of ****

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Meh. As long as he keeps being the moron he has constantly shown himself to be for the Bungles he is still helping the Steelers. I applaud Colbert and Tomlin for foreseeing that he could be just as much of an asset for the Steelers while not actually playing for us. Nicely done guys. LOL!

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but I think their foresight is kinda narrow!

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Hahaha awesome. "No, I blame my teammates. I'll take no responsibility for my actions and continue doing whatever I want"

What a clown. So much talent and so little brains. It's a shame because the kid is a player. Oh well, maybe he will find someone new to blame when he continues getting suspended for the type of player that he is.

24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Burfict is a bum/cornball. I look forward to the day when we return the favor and have an offensive lineman run into the back of his legs and end his 2016 season.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He'll probably get himself suspended for the remainder of the season before that can even happen.