1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE.......

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 19, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    That's a nice Butt you have there, but he's returning for his senior year I believe.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks, I've been working out.

I hadn't heard he was returning to college, apparently neither has the author of the article that I was reading about him in :hmm:

Edit* Article was written in November, he announced he was returning in December. Too bad, oh well, my search continues.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think I've decided against wanting a first round TE. Henry would make sense as he would probably start immediately, but with our offense idk that a TE weapon is the best use of our first round pick. We have so many other guys on O who deserve the ball that a guy like Henry could be overlooked. If we can snag someone in the 3-4th round to compete with James, then I'd be happy with that.

In our offense, we basically need the TE to be a good blocker and be able to find a soft spot in a zone and sit down in it. We can get good enough production from James and a guy like Vannett to make a later TE pick have better value to us. I'd rather use pick 25 on the secondary or on pass rush. FA can change that of course, but that's the way I see it as of now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would fall in line with that mode of thinking SG. I wouldn't hate the Henry pick but wouldn't pound the table for it either. It would be a "safe" pick, as I think his floor is very high. I would like to see one more year from James and add another mid rounder or FA. James could be using Miller's retirement as motivation to make his move as the starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we do have xavier grimble sitting here. he could possibly make some noise at TE this year too. we may not have to draft one at all this year. :shrug::cool:

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is why I have been looking for someone other than Henry, I'm not sure that is the direction the Steelers will go in the first rd.

However, the last first rd pick they spent on a TE? Heath Miller. He was taken at #30, Henry, if he's there and they take him would be #25. History may repeat itself.

I would be excited about the pick, if he lives up to his billing, an already difficult offense to defend just got that much more of a nightmare for defenses.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    grimble is a big body and a pretty good receiving TE. 69 catches at USC. i'd like to see what daniels can do with him this year. there are some good ones in next years draft as well. it at least leaves our options open. it will be a tough decision on will j. this year. nix played well. can will j. become a full time TE?:cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I had targeted the TE position in the 3rd round, with Heath's retirement as one poster said
    history may repeat itself. Todd Haley has always liked the TE position,as has Ben. The TE position is very important to the Steelers and must be productive in the 60-75 Rec/year range to take some pressure off AB/Bell. This is a must needed position NOW. My friends Spaeth shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but I am one of the few that thinks James can step in. I also want to draft a guy, this may not be a very deep class of TE's this year but I think it is a lot better then people give it credit for. If the Steelers go with Henry at 25 I am good with that I think he is a pretty good talent. I also have no problem with guys like Hooper, Adams, McGee, Vannett and my favorite Higbee. So let's say we get rid of Spaeth and draft one of these guys, we have JJ, Draft pick and Grimble. That is 3 young guys and not a whole lot of experience, I kinda have mixed feeling about that. Not saying it is good or bad but I need to think about how that would affect us.

I have talked here about Higbee and here is what a writer had to say:

Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky - 6'4", 243 lbs. A former receiver who runs excellent routes for a Tight End and has really fine hands. He's been working hard to become as good at the blocking side of his game but isn't quite there yet. From what I read it seems that if he was two inches taller and twenty pounds heavier he would be challenging Hunter Henry for the top spot in this year's admittedly poor class. Missed the Senior Bowl due to a sprained knee.

This kid to me has Jimmy Graham written all over him, the more I watch the more I see it. Put this kid in our offense with our weapons watch out and I haven't even talked about the one problem......the red zone. James and Higbee with AB, Bryant and Bell.....how do you cover that there???? Just my thoughts, like I said Henry would be fine but I feel just about any round in the top 4 we have good options.

Another option I read about who it sounds like is more of a blocker the receiver is Bryce Williams East Carolina. They say he is a project and if the Steelers feel James is the guy we could afford him later on but if they don't feel James is the answer then we can't afford a project.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this. I'm really not thinking TE in the first. However, I've watched everything I can find on video of Henry, and I think the comparisons to Heath and Witten are dead on. Thinking long term, the pick makes sense, but could hurt in the short term unless we plug a number of defensive holes in free agency (unlikely). Also thinking long term, if we have a TE in the Miller/Witten mold, he would be a great security blanket for a young QB a few years down the road, and would help the running game that we'll be relying on heavily when Ben has retired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there is some pretty good film on grimble. 69 catches aand 11 TD's at USC. he is also an economics major. he seems like a smart guy too from interveiws i have seen. i'm a little more excited about this guy after having done some research on him. under daniels we may just have a gem already sitting here. i think james also improves greatly from year one to two. i don't think there is any way spaeth isn't here as a mentor to these guys this year. there is some good video on gamble in the highlighted thread above. :cool:

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Bench press results, thoughts?

Name School Height Weight Bench (reps at 225 lbs)
    Jerell Adams South Carolina 6'5 247........
    Stephen Anderson California 6'2 230 16
    Ben Braunecker Harvard 6'3 250 20
    Thomas Duarte UCLA 6'2 231 12
    David Grinnage North Carolina State 6'5 248
    Temarrick Hemingway South Carolina State 6'5 244 18
    Hunter Henry Arkansas 6'5 250 13
    Tyler Higbee Western Kentucky 6'6 249........
    Austin Hooper Stanford 6'4 254 19

Ryan Malleck Virginia Tech 6'4 247 18
    Jake McGee Florida 6'5 250 17
    David Morgan UT-San Antonio 6'4 262 29
    Beau Sandland Montana State 6'4 253 23
    Nick Vannett Ohio State 6'6 257 17
    Bryce Williams East Carolina 6'6 257 19

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

henry has shorter arms. smaller hands. still did less reps. thats not a great sign. his blocking wasn't the best either not terrible but would need to improve in the pro game depending on how he's used for a team. that alone i believe makes him less of a fit for us. i think he drops out of the first.:cool:

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    His tape is good, both as a blocker and receiver. I'm not too concerned about how he looks or performs in shorts. That said, I am having trouble seeing us going TE in the 1st, and I feel pretty certain he'll be gone by the time our 2nd rounder comes up.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Henry was a disappointment at the combine, he was one of the TEs that decided not to workout.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    David Morgan had a really good combine. Don't know much about him yet, so I'll have to catch up on him. But he seized the opportunity and that was good to see for him.

Still liking Sandland, he certainly looks the part. Dropped two in the gauntlet, but Hooper dropped some as well. I didn't see any more drops in any other drills.

Vannett looked good on the few drills he was in.

I wasn't blown away by anyone, but it was good to see how they compared in those drills amongst the other TEs.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, Morgan put himself on the map for sure with that showing. If you find any film on him, let me know.

My one thing about Hooper is his drops, needs to clean that up.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    found one on youtube. Not a great 40 time but his 3 cone was good.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks Turtle. Have to say, I'm liking this kid. Definitely the best blocker I have seen so far and I was impressed with his ability to catch the ball. Somebody to keep an eye on.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am just curious how people feel now about the TE position in the draft? I know some were very down on it I feel like there are some real good guys in this class. As time goes by I am thinking this is more of a deeper class then most originally thought.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I would've been satisfied with the Henry pick in the first but after his poor bench showing and measurables (arm length, hand size) at the combine I would pass on him in the first. If he would've been more freakish athletically I would've been fine with him at #25. If we draft a TE at all I'm thinking it'll be the third day now.

Ideally my first round pick is a guy with athletic traits with at least some positive film to back it up (like Dupree). I think we can find that at safety and or DL/OL this draft.

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is my opinion on the combine, I don't think you can change your mind based on what a guy does in shorts. A lot of people here liked what they saw on film from Henry, some didn't. His 40 or hand size don't change what we saw on film....jmo. I like some of the stuff at the combine other stuff is worthless. Like the bench I like that for lineman and LB's but what does the bench have to do with the QB or WR? Hey here is another one how many linemen you know are gonna run 40 yards? To change how a person views a prospect cause of a work out in shorts is wrong, watch game film that is you biggest proof, jmo. Not calling you out on this GB just talking in general.