1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TE.......

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Feb 19, 2016.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well now with the news on Heath I guess we have to look at the TE's in the draft. We all have heard about Henry but here are a few guys I would like to look at so if anyone knows anything talk about it:
    I have a lot of interest in Adams, need to watch him.

Austin Hooper**, TE, Stanford
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 249.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73.
    Projected Round (2017): 2-3.
    2/6/16: Hooper played well in 2015 as a dangerous receiver for Stanford. He had 34 receptions for 438 yards and six touchdowns on the year, but played better than the numbers illustrate. Hooper was a real receiving threat for Stanford and has some potential as a blocker. He uses his size well and has quickness down the seam. Hooper could be a receiving mismatch weapon in the NFL.

Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 244. Arm: 34. Hand: 8.75.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
    Projected Round (2015): 3-5.
    2/6/16: Adams took over for Rory Anderson in 2015 and had a good season despite poor quarterback play at South Carolina. Adams totaled 28 catches for 421 yards with three touchdowns on the year. As a junior (21-279-1) and sophomore (13-187-2), he had modest contributions. Adams had a solid week at the Senior Bowl, and given the weak tight end class, he could be drafted earlier than expected.

Jake McGee, TE, Florida
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 252. Arm: 32. Hand: 9.5.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
    Projected Round (2016): 3-5.
    2/6/16: McGee and a freshman tight end were unsung heroes for Florida in 2015. McGee made some clutch catches while also blocking well for the Gators. In 2015, he had 41 receptions for 381 yards and four touchdowns. McGee had to pull out of the Senior Bowl early because of an injury. He has some receiving skills while also being a quality blocker.

Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 250.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.88.
    Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
    2/6/16: Higbee contributed to Western Kentucky's high-powered offense in 2015, totaling 38 receptions for 563 yards and eight touchdowns. It was a big jump in production for him.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Beau Sandland, Montana State. small school guy, but has nice hands and could be a guy to throw in the mix. He'll be at the combine too. Varied college career. Went to JUCO, then to Miami, then transferred to Montana State as South Fla did not appeal to him I guess. Seems like an old school type of dude.

clip from his Miami days

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow Turtle nice find I am going to have to watch this kid at the combine, kinda has the Steeler feel to him.

Did you get a chance to look at many TE's, I watched a little on the guys I posted above. While I feel they are more pass catchers I also feel they (some) have potential to be blockers. Yesterday with the sad news of Heath was my 1st peak at the TE position in this draft and I feel it isn't as bad as people think.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm with you NY, I haven't really looked at the position either. I thought Miller was going to play another year for sure. I mentioned I liked Vannett from OSU in a Jeff Heuermann thread last year, so he's one I've liked for awhile. Kivon Cartwright from CSU is another guy I'd like to research. They seem to be pumping out some nice TEs lately.

If they do get Hunter Henry and he plays as expected, that would eliminate one position from the draft boards for years to come, much like Miller did. I had this discussion with Blast last year where they seem to get a mid to late round TE every year. It would be nice to draft a guy high one year and then concentrate on other positions for the years following. A luxury Miller did for us during his prime.

If they go the FA route, the only one I might feel good about would be Ladarious Green of the Chargers. Only 26 still. The rest of the FAs were ho-hum imo.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have watched all 4 Henry games on draft countdown. He's legit in every way, and worth pick #25 IMO. I also watched one Vannett game and was very underwhelmed, but that's just one game.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Underwhelm as a blocker or receiver or both?

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Both. As a receiver he got very few targets, but it looked to me like he ran very slow, rounded routes and really didn't do anything to get open. As a blocker he almost never blocked inline, but was instead blocking in space mainly against DBs. I recognize that was a product of the read option/spread system, but it makes it difficult to project how a guy will block in an NFL scheme. He was generally effective, but not dominating by any means even though he outweighed the guys he was blocking by 25 - 50 lbs in most cases. Like I said, it was one game only, but I wasn't seeing the guy that expected to see.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I even think Austin Hooper from Stanford is better than the kid at Arkansas and we can prob get him In the 3rd rd

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you need to watch a few more elvis. he is a legit blocker. he can get open but OSU didn't use him near enough. that was more scheme oriented though. his jr. year was somewhat better receiving wise but again not enough use in that offense. :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree about Hooper but don't think he will last past the 2nd.

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Draft breakdown has 2 games. Notre Dame '15 and Michigan '14. I had watched the Notre Dame game first, and didn't see much. He looked better in all respects in the '14 game vs. Michigan, though it still looks to me like he takes more time than I'd like to see for him to get up to speed in his routes. He did make some nice blocks against bigger players though.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Turtle, I finally watched some of Henry and I liked what I saw. If he is our pick I am fine with that, one thing that stood out was how he blocked down field when someone else caught the ball. Did you get to see any on Higbee, he reminds me of Jimmy Graham. Not sure if we are looking for that type of TE but in this NFL I think he could be good if not great.

As for the FA market a guy I would also look at is Fleener, not sure if we already have this here with James but I would keep him in mind. Also speaking of James does anyone feel he could step in?? I do but I also feel we need to add a Henry, Higbee or Green/Fleener, thoughts??? Just checking to make sure I wasn't dreaming but Heath did really retire right????????? :facepalm:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, he's not fleet of foot in the quickness department, though he has decent speed but his blocking to me has a lot of heath miller type of blocking game in it. his hands are good when thrown to. he's not going to burn them off the line though with precision routes. :cool:

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think TE immediately becomes a need. Certainly within our 1st 3 picks. Can we find another Heath type at #25 who could come in and contribute as a rookie? Or can we find a capable value type in round 3?

I like James but he has to show that he can be an every down blocker and can be trusted and relied upon to catch the tough throws over the middle on 3rd down.

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    bottom line for me is, if you feel you need a te in the draft, take the best one. henry is the best one and imo by far. I think the combine will show this more but his film should be enough to convince anyone. if they don't address it in free agency I don't understand why we would settle for the 4th or 5th best if he is there in the first

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I kinda agree however we don't know a few things. Like how do the Steelers feel about James? We all sit here and give our opinion which is fun but if the Steelers feel JJ steps in then TE is not a need. Another thing how do the Steelers feel about the pass defense, if that is their 1st priority then I think CB/S could be had in the 1st.

One question I have is are we looking for an offensive weapon or a guy who is a blocker first pass catcher second? I think in todays nfl it is offense offense offense. I am not against Henry but keep your eye on Higbee at the combine, the more I watch the more I like.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with your thoughts on james. I do also feel that outside of 2 cbs that 3 thru 12 are similar. I think that can be addressed in 2nd and 3rd. I really feel henry is that guy that comes along every ten or so years

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    TE not a need
    let the new guys go
    defense is the need

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If we cut the new guys, who's going to play TE? :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think Heath's retirement should affect our early drafting strategy at all. If Henry checks the most boxes for our FO I think he would've been drafted with or without Heath. I can only assume that our FO has the foresight to understand that Heath had limited seasons left and had a plan to replace him.

Right now, other than Henry, I'm liking what I read about McGee from Florida. Could be a later option to compete for TE3 duties with possible growth up.

If we miss out on a TE in this draft I'm fine with The Outlaw being our TE1. I think he'll do good enough for us with another training camp under his belt, especially with a lot more time with the 1's.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i still like vannett in the 3rd. i think his blocking is better than henry. henry the better receiver, but just because of more opportunities. vannett has good hands when thrown to. i just think vannett would be a better pairing with james. with our wr corp and rb's the receiving value comes second for our te's. :cool:

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I like this TE Bryce Williams kid a lot, he has wide receiver moves, has the size you want in a TE and is a projected 4th rounder and is ranked in the top 5 in some draft projections, I think he will go higher in the draft, late 2nd or late 3rd round; good value here with loads of potential:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1892488/bryce-williams

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think you are right, Diamond. There are names that will pop up as we move closer to the draft, like Bryce and this guy, Jake Butt, I'm liking him, too.

Here's a little breakdown on Butt.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have seen it proposed that maybe we don't use the TE the way we used to in this offense. We currently do a ton of 3 WR, 1 TE, and 1 RB. Would we be more dangerous with 4 WR and 1 RB? It gets Coates on the field and increases the team's speed. Thoughts?

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow, the kid from Michigan is definitely a match up problem with his size. I like what I see from him.