1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

7-Round Mock Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whats your concerns with Apple? Also, have you checked out Jalen Ramsey CB/S? He projects more as a safety right now but I like those dual threat guys. I've seen some reports with him being the best safety in the draft and some saying he has a 2nd rd grade. Thompson is another one who is like that, Ill be watching some film him too.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I know you didn't ask me, but the main concerns with Apple are that he is a poor tackler (form and willingness) and pretty much overall lacks any type of physicality. He seems like he shies away from sticking his nose in there and is content with hanging on until someone else cleans up. Gave up some extra yardage by just flat out falling off tackles after the WR snags it. He's really good in man coverage tho and doesn't get lost very often. Teams generally threw away from him his final season. Definitely locked up his side of the field from a coverage standpoint.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft season is a funny time, I read the exact opposite, in short, that he's an aggressive physical corner that excels in run support. :lolol:

The biggest knock I came away with, was that he is young and most likely will not be of much help in 2016.

I'm putting together a list of players that I want to watch film on, hes one of them, let you know my thoughts on him when I do.

So far, in addition to Apple, I want to brush up on these guys too:

Jalen Ramsey: S/CB Florida State
    Kendall Fuller: CB Virginia Tech
    Darian Thompson: S Boise State
    DeForest Buckner, DL Oregon
    Austin Johnson: DL Penn State
    Andrew Billings: DL Baylor
    Su'a Cravens: ILB USC
    Hunter Henery: TE Arkansas
    Austin Hooper: TE Stanford

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't watched Apple yet, other than watching a couple of Ohio State games this season. What I saw in that limited watching was the coverage ability that has been mentioned. I'll have to watch some film and see more. I get very down on defensive prospects who won't/can't tackle, and if that's what I see in him I'll downgrade him significantly.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I had those same concerns after watching what I could on Marcus Peters last year. Thought the dude just could not, or would not, tackle anyone. So far, with that and his character concerns, I've been way wrong. Everything I've heard about his tackling in the NFL has been at least somewhat positive. Maybe Eli Apple turns out the same way. :shrug:

If we can't get Ramsey or Hargreaves (probably the two "complete" CB's), then I vote for coverage ability first and foremost in my CB prospect. With Shazier, Mitchell and some of the other guys (probably Dupree soon) flying around making tackles, one of them can help out a poor tackling CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, I watched a game of Apples and yup, tackling isnt great, tackles high and tends to bounce off or whiffs altogether. Need to look at more games but not pleased with what I saw so far. He also seems to get taken out of the play quite a bit. Maybe it was just a bad game.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He just has such bad form, idk that it's totally unfixable tho. He gets taken out of the play because he won't run through guys, he tries to go around them. He is excellent in coverage tho. For a big guy he pretty much never pressed, but excelled in off man. Teams threw away from him all season. He could be a reasonable scheme fit.

I'd be a little wary of drafting him in the first, he just isn't complete yet... but he would definitely be an upgrade in our secondary. He's a good player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is what I talked about in a previous thread move up if you feel you have a premier player. Dreams are fun
    and The Steelers are a couple of players/pieces away from winning a Superbowl.

9. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Just a reminder that this thread is here for mock drafts... Just... Y'know... A reminder.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just a few tweaks..
    1-4 stays the same
    Add these 2 to the 7th...
    7. David Onyemata DT 6'4" 300 Manitoba
    7. Roger Lewis WR 6' 199 Bowling Green (caught my eye watching some smaller school prospects)

Taking G Cody Whitehair off. <32" arms and he may not be in the Steelers sights.
    I'd add OG Joshua Garnett Stanford as an alternate in the 2nd. 6'5" 325.
    Saw some more film of Miller CB and not quite as high on him as previous.
    Cannot find any film of CB/S Sean Davis Maryland from 2014 when he played Safety. He was at CB for 2015. Nothing flashy at CB so he may be better at S. I would stick him in for consideration in the 4th.

Loving the 2nd round lol! Jackson, Thompson or Garnett would be steals imo.

11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Homer draft

1. Braxton Miller (WR - Ohio State)
    2. Vonn Bell (SS - Ohio State)
    3. Nick Vannett (TE - Ohio State)
    4. Deandre Houston-Carson (CB - William and Mary)

I ran out of buckeyes for the 4th pick lol in all honesty tho, that draft would kill for us. We'd fill some positions of need and get a hell of an athlete in Miller. You can replace Miller with Noah Spence (OLB - E. Kentucky... Also a former buckeye) if you can't fathom drafting a WR in the first. OLB is a realistic need too.

I know there's less than a one percent chance of it happening, but Braxton Miller is the one guy in the draft this year I want to see in a steelers uniform.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  13. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    1 - Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor. Probably the most dominant player at his position available for us and still very young.

2 - Artie Burns, CB, Miami (FL). Track star with football skills to match and a good frame.

3 - Sean Davis, S/CB, Maryland. Tweener S/CB with a good all-around game.

4 - Max Tuerk, OL, University of Southern California. Athletic technician coming off injury could back up every spot on line.

7 - Jake McGee, TE, Florida. Older dude who pulled a Russell Wilson and transferred to FL after he graduated from VA. Injured in 2014 and played in multiple schemes for multiple coaches. Excellent frame.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i like burns a lot GB. he's physical too.
    tuerk as well. would be a nice addition.
    carl nassib from penn st. is a kid i really like too. DE for them. reminds me of a chickillo type player but better. long, strong and physical. check him out when you get some time. wardis will like this. :smiley1:
    canady from va. is a corner i like too. could probably move to safety.
    dj white a corner from GT looks like a fine player to me. i'll bet he will move up the boards before it's over.

one thing is for sure if we want to get more physical in the secondary, artie burns and karl joseph from WVU would be two good picks to do that with.

heck, i'd take something like:

1. burns CB
    2. nassib DE/OLB maybe kyler fackrell OLB here.
    3. vannett TE
    4. joseph SS

thats a pretty physical bunch right there that would improve a team. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if Burns gets a Byron Jones-like bump into the first round after annihilating the combine. I like your mock as it's a well-rounded group with some toughness. Will have to check out the other guys you mentioned.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He could also function as the emergency QB if the need arises.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't care much for Ronald Darby in last year's draft (track star as well), but he covered very nicely the few times I watched Buffalo this year. Didn't see how Darby did in the tackling dept though. I'll have to look more into Burns. Huskers played Miami early in the season but he didn't stand out. I was not watching for scouting players though, more for brewskis in the neighbors garage and Tommy Armstrong bashing lol!

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like this list also, these guys are football players.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we go safety 1st. cash, bell, thompson.

2. vannett TE
    3. white CB
    4. ward DL
    7. G/C/T
    7. OLB
    7. QB/RB/WR:cool:

20. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    If we had a 5th round pick and either Cardale Jones or Christian Hackenburg fell there I think that would be tremendous to have guys with that much potential learning for a few years behind Roethlisberger.

21. 08SteelCurtain

Sep 20, 2015
    I think this would be my ideal draft if we were to sign Weddle. I really like Killebrew's potential, and Floyd may have the fastest first step I've ever seen. Anyone think he falls this far?

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd love to have Cardale Jones. He's got such a great arm. He really suffered from Herman leaving the OC job to take over as the HC of Houston. OSU runs a college offense, and Jones seems like a Pro style guy to me. He's a great guy too. Would be a perfect match

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    1. Kevin Dodd (DE/OLB - Clemson)
    2. Taveze Calhoun (CB - Mississippi St.)
    3. Nick Vannett (TE - Ohio State)
    4. Deandre Houston-Carson (FS - W&M)
    7. OG/OT
    7. DE/DT
    7. QB

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we need way smarter than that at qb. :cool:

25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    its not like all the top QB's are highly intelligent guys. I think he has the tools to be pretty good. With all the top end talent we have in offensive skill positions and his ability to throw the ball vertically, I don't see why he couldn't develop into a decent option.