1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

7-Round Mock Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 21, 2016.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Please no SG lol! Very overrated imo. Watched about 4 MSU games this year and watched a lot of Calhoun. I didn't see much of anything from him and am confounded by the rankings for him. I still have 2 more recorded to watch, but I doubt my opinion changes.

Maybe you see something more that I don't???

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I wasn't suggesting playing Shazier at safety. That's silly. I mean that you can do a lot of those box things from Shazier's position.

Cheers

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk he always played pretty well against my buckeyes haha the very few MSU games I've watched he's looked pretty good to me, so that's why I have that opinion of him. I definitely could be wrong since my sample size on games watched is so low. Which edge rusher(s) do you like the best?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im usually against giving up a first rd pick but might be a good year to try and trade down. Having two 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders would be nice.

They might be able to pick up another one by trading Suisham too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It seems like every year is a good year to trade down around this board haha

I actually think this is a decent year to not have that many picks. We don't need a lot to get us over the top, and we are a pretty deep team as it is. I just want a starter or two in this years draft.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except this year it actually is ;)

We're short draft picks, makes sense to get them back and picking at 25, not a big sacrifice to give up your #1. Of course, as always, you have to see how the board is unfolding, maybe somebody you really like drops. But if there is nothing special there, I hope Colbert can pull off trading down.

I disagree about it ever being a decent year to be short picks, its such a long shot that draft picks pan out, you decrease your odds being short.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    depends what we do in free agency and who fall at 25 , i'm more worried about the rats when they pick high usually pick good

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    To be honest, I don't have a favorite yet. At least one that would be available at 1:25. No one's really jumping out at me. Noah Spence is intriguing, but will KC get past the ecstasy addiction he had before? I'm sure he'll be tested at the combine and it will be researched in interviews etc.

How did Josh Perry look at OSU? For some reason, I didn't catch many OSU games this year.

IMO, the OLB class this year seems very underwhelming whereas the DE class seems very good. A lot of guys in that first 3 round range. That dude from Manitoba, David Onyemata, 6'4 305, could be a nice mid to late round prospect. Haven't seen his film, except the shrine game.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I watched one 7-8 minute video of his play vs South Fla I believe. Did you watch him a lot? If so, what did you think? He seemed to have some nice numbers this past year. He had some trouble disengaging from blockers in that game. Other than that, I'd be interested in seeing how he tests out at the combine.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm and Sec man so I haven't got to see him much but the little I did I was impressed with his length and speed off the edge
    I wonder though if he will play DE or switch to linebacker in the NFL
    Anyway I think he could b a steal in the 5th rd

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Interesting Turtle, I saw this young man in HS what a talent,It was like men playing with boys not sure if he has his head screwed on?

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing, though. When you trade out of the first, you lose the ability to exercise a 5th year option on a player. If you draft a guy who ends up being awesome, the 5th year option provides some leverage in negotiating the 2nd contract. I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots depending on who is left on the board at that time if we can pick up a 3rd or a 4th. The 1st round worthy DBs and pass rushers may be gone by then.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't necessarily think it's "good" that were short picks, but if we had to be this is the year I think we can pull it off.

I disagree about it not being a big sacrifice to drop out of the first having pick 25. The first round pick is the most valuable thing we own in the offseason... Eight spots in the first round is an astronomical sacrifice. Something drastic would have to happen for me to be okay with us to droping back that far. I just think dropping back those spots to gain a late second or third is poor asset management IMO.

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I JUST HAVE A ? WHAT DAY DOES THE DRAFT FALL ON THIS YEAR, I HOPE ITS NOT MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND BCAUSE I WILL BE AT ROCKLAHOMA THIS YEAR:sign0011::hardrock:

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Its April 28-30

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    1. Kevin Dodd DE Clemson 6'5" 275
    2. William Jackson III CB Houston 6'1" 200
    3. Karl Joseph S WVU 5'11" 197
    4. Sebastian Tretola OG Arkansas 6'4" 320
    7. Barry Sanders RB Stanford - the son of Detroit's Barry Sanders, he backed up McCaffery but had a 6.2 YPC. Why not lol?

All 3 of these guys could go higher, especially Dodd (mid 1st) and Jackson (early 2nd). Definitely some wishful thinking on my part but you never know. Joseph has been all over but maybe the injury he had last year drops him to rnd 3.

Alternates
    1. Cody Whitehair OG Kansas or TE Henry Arkansas
    2. Thompson S Boise St or Harlan Miller CB SE Louisiana
    3. Jihad Ward DE Illinois or Jack Allen G/C MSU

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    well done.

LOVE the Dodd / WJIII combo with first and 2nd pick. I would go in a different direction with the 3rd round safety (Joseph is like a Shamarko clone IMO. Looks great as a hitter/disruptor on college tape. But takes too many **** for brains angles, and fails to make the basic/simple plays too often). But love what you did at 1 and 2.

18. IggySteel

IggySteel Active Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have seen a lot of people wanting Eli Apple in the first round. As an Ohio State homer, I hope NOT. He is pretty decent in coverage, but tackles like Antwon Blake. We have enough DBs who can't tackle. We don't need another one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree, I would pass on Apple as well.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I can see the ST29 comparison and he does take some bad angles. You would have to hope the football IQ is better. Some other safeties would be better but I think they'd have to pull the trigger in rnd 2 and flip flop with taking a corner in rnd 3.

Note - I didn't go CB in rnd 1 because I just don't think Hargreaves, Fuller, or Alexander (not sold on anyway) are there. Not a fan of Apple.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I have a dream where Vernon falls into the teens and we pull off a Troy type of trade up.

Dreams are fun

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagree with that. If they can get an early 2nd rd in return, wouldnt be a big drop off. I wouldnt want to do it while picking at 15 but at 25, I dont think they would be sacrificing much.

I also wouldnt want to do it if we had all our draft picks but with no 5th and 6th at the moment, I think it would be a good move.

23. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015

As always, it's impossible to say whether you'd trade down or not, it depends entirely on who is on the board.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course. We're spit balling here. Under the right circumstances, that's what id want to do.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Maybe Mark Gorscak can re-start him over and over again on the 40 and Hargreaves will run a slow time. Work it to our advantage!

• Like Like x 2