1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Merrill Hodge....Nfl guru

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NDsteelerfan, Jan 31, 2016.

1. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just went back and re-watched what Hodge said about manzel before the draft(and Clowney, also). He was so spot on, that it is almost scary! Can the steelers hire him for their draft analysis team? Can't miss ever!

• Like Like x 2
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Would be interesting to see what MH had to say about Burflict back when he was in the draft. I still rank Hoge up there with Rocky Bleier as far as Steelers who played over their heads with enormous heart. His individual effort carrying the team in the playoffs back in '89 IMO still ranks near the top of the list with 180 total yds against Denver (L 24-23) and 120 against Houston (W 26-23). But for Bubby's mental lapse near end of Denver game - might have made the SB that year. Thanks for the great effort Merrill. :applaud:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He was spot on with Tim Tebow also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    Wonder what his take is on the carson wentz kid. Seems like media darling, but what does Hodge think? Hmmmm.....

5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Has he ever said anything about Blake or perhaps Steven Jackson? (sorry couldn't resist :hehehe:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I heard him do a motivational speech at a high school for the kids. He was excellent.

7. NJSteelerFan

NJSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He's one of my favorite Steelers alltime! Played with a lot of heart.

8. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    And Johnny Manziel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, that's not exactly hard. The vast majority thought Johnny was a total ass who didn't have anywhere near enough arm or brains for the NFL. And Tebow? We knew he couldn't throw. Just saying. Show me a player he was right about where most others were wrong...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, he wasnt exactly a lone voice on Manzeil and Tebow :lolol:

Love Hodge though :steelflag:

11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    ^^^^
    Skip Dickless should lose his job over this. I loved looking back at this and seeing that smug and pompous attitude as he starts to refute Hoge and knowing that he couldn't be more wrong. What an ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    I just love how he says that who ever drafts him in the first round, will be fired within 2 years.....nailed it! (Drops mic)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tangofoxwhiskey

Dec 8, 2015
    I brought up Manziel because I saw the clip posted by Bobbybiz live on ESPN, and it was the first thing that came to mind on a thread about Merrill Hodge predicting draft busts. It may not go down a modern day Nostradamus prophecy, but it was as dead on right as Skip Baseless was (is) wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    HMHI!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    No, that's cool. I wasn't giving you a hard time and I like Hodge. I just don't know how good he is at talent evaluation or not. Bayless has always struck me as an idiot.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I often wonder if Bayless is just a contrarian, if he really believes half the garbage he spews, I feel sorry for him.

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of the talking heads should be called babbling heads because talking implies speaking words that make sense. Not referring to Hoge in this case.

19. tangofoxwhiskey

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm with you, Lambert. Hodge is my favorite on ESPN- he's such a blatant Steelers homer. Ryan Clark is good, too.

Like others on this thread, I do wonder if shows like First Take deliberately predict stardom and bust for new players so someone can say "I've been with you from the beginning Johnny [or whoever], while [this talking head] said you were going to be a bust." After all, they will want the player to come on the show if he makes it in the NFL.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's a story about Hoge from over the pond.

One year, one of the main TV channels here covered the superbowl. As they didn't normally cover NFL, they had to fly in experts to sit in the studio with whatever muppet they had lined up to present it. In this case, they brought in Hoge. So they asked him a question, and he immediately turned to the camera, and did a ten-minute exposition of the finer details of the game, with perfect clarity.

You could see the host utterly bemused, and thinking: "nobody faces the camera when doing analysis. Why does he just give some inane clichés and let me speak again?"

The next week, the same channel were covering Champions League football. They had ALL of their analysts talk directly to the camera, and try and give in-depth, lengthy accounts of the game. Basically, they were all trying to be Merril Hoge.

It didn't work. It was a bit car-crash to be honest. The next week they went back to the usual ****.

Hoge should still be proud of that, though.

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I see what you did there

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In a word AWESOME. yes you should always try to be yourself unless you can be Merril Hoge then you should be Hoge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hoge never stopped rooting for,steelers even as a sports broadcaster