1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

7-Round Mock Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by 08SteelCurtain, Jan 21, 2016.

1. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    A bit optimistic, but:

R1: Karl Joseph (SS)
    R2: Kendall Fuller (CB)
    R3: Javon Hargrave (DT)
    R4: Pharoah Cooper (WR)
    R6: Jatavis Brown (LB)
    R7: Tyler Ervin (HB/KR)
    R7: Tavon Young (CB)

Other Considerations:
    R1: WJ3, Butler, Billings, Reed, Robinson
    R2: Cash, Neal, Kenny Clark, Kamalei Correa
    R3: Simmons, Killebrew, Jihad Ward, Braxton Miller
    R4: Dadi Nicolas, Kenyan Drake, pass-rusher
    R6: B. Allen, Josh Ferguson (pimping)

Pre-Draft Edit: Added Tavon Young in the 7th.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You should add their position and school they went to for the people who don't follow college football that closely.

I don't know about Cravens yet. He may not be an NFL SS. More of a 4-3 LB like Arizona did to Deone Buchannon. I can dig the Sutton pick tho. I know we need some secondary help, but I don't see us going DB in the first two rounds. Probably only one. I'd expect an OL, OLB or a TE in there somewhere.

3. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I think since we have always made use of fifth LB/blitzing SS's, Cravens would be a great fit. Coverage wise, the skepticism is fair

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sutton is returning for his senior year I believe.

5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Round 1. OLB
    Round 2. SS
    Round 3. TE
    Round 4. CB
    Round 5. DT
    Round 6. OG
    Round 7. DT

Now, whoever is the top player at OLB, SS, CB or TE is who we pick in round one.
    I don't see us taking a CB high because we have two unknowns in Grant and Gholson.
    We need people that can get to the quarterback. Either with a OLB or DT.
    Heath has been great but we need to upgrade his position.
    I want to upgrade the LG spot just in case we don't resign Foster. And even if we do, we need some more athletic so we can pull to the right.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No 5 and 6th

7. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    1. Eli Apple CB Ohio St
    2. Bronson Kaufusi DE BYU
    3. Darian Thompson FS Boise St

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like Apple a lot. Don't know much about Kaufusi tho. I think we need more of a SS type than a FS tho. We don't really have a true SS on the roster (assuming Allen is gone). Golden can play SS, but as a converted corner he would be better at the 3rd safety/FS role I think.

9. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Everyone keeps saying that... I disagree. I see a team that is going to play more and more Cover 2 with their safeties, in which case they become more interchangeable. Mitchell can play SS. He played SS at Ohio, and he played his first 4 seasons in the league at SS for Oakland. When he went to Carolina, he became a FS... in a Cover 2 scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that we could use more of a ball hawking FS someone who can cover a lot of ground. Mitchell can easily play SS and I think he is better in confined space. Also if Shamarko is ever gonna amount to anything it would be at SS as well. Both guys like to hit and are built for it. The talk of moving Grant to safety is most likely at FS but we could use someone who is a natural at the position and not someone who is changing positions.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also consider Mitchell a SS, We have to get that ball hawking, tackle willing FS in the fold
    somewhere whether it be thru the draft or FA. This would be one of the pieces that we are missing
    for the Superbowl run. You also have to ask yourself, will the Steelers try to improve their sack totals
    from the OLB position? Draft Pick? Will the Steelers Cut Shamarko, Thomas, Will Allen, Cortez Allen. Blake?
    I think if you see purging of the DB's listed above you will have a good Idea where the Steelers are looking to improve.
    I also believe they will draft Heath Millers replacement This year. Of course all these thoughts hinge on the cap that I am not up on, but with Ben
    and AB cap price going up, along with other signings. I am sure there will have to be restructuring? Hopefully it will not handcuff the Steelers. Barring injuries, we are close, add a few more pieces to the puzzle you have a Superbowl contender that can WIN the Superbowl.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    will we get a 5th or 6th for cotchery?:cool:

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well Mitchell didn't start playing his best ball until he was moved to FS. He wasn't exactly a good SS in Oakland, but he was a good FS in Carolina and has been a good FS for us. I think it's fairly obvious that he is a much better FS than he is a SS.

That's fine if we play more cover two. We should emphasize finding a guy who can cover space pretty well, but I still think we need to get someone who is comfortable in the box too.

We were at our best with Troy and Clark. Ryan was far from a "ball-hawking" safety that everyone is calling for. We just had a special SS who could do everything. Troy was excellent in the box and excellent in space. I know there won't be another player the same as Troy, but we need to find someone who can do both.

Our problems at the S position won't be fixed by drafting a FS, then moving Mitchell to his weaker position IMO.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    1. kendell fuller cb VT
    2. vonn bell SS ohio st.
    3. nick vannett TE ohio st.

jeremy cash would be a good choice too at SS from duke.

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't watched much film yet, but so far I'm liking Fuller and Apple as guys who have a shot at being available at #25 (although NFL network has Apple going top 10 in their current mock). It's pretty early in the process yet.

16. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Here's mine

Rd1 Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
    rd2 Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
    Rd3 Willie Henry, DT, Michigan
    Rd4 Eric Murray CB, Minnesota
    Rd5 Yannick Ngakoue, DE/OLB Maryland
    Rd6 Byron Marshall rb Oregon
    rd7 Sean Price TE south Florida

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I'll do one too

1. Scooby Wright (OLB - Arizona)
    2. Jeremy Cash (SS - Duke)
    3. Nick Vannett (TE - Ohio State)

I don't want to get too deep into the draft just yet tho. I know I'm missing a corner. Look for us to have some interest in Deandre Houston-Carson from William and Mary in the mid to late rounds. He played CB and FS, and pretty much dominated. He's 6'2" 195.

Edit: if you don't like Wright's injury, I'm completely okay with substituting him for Shilique Calhoun (OLB - Michigan State).

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Dodd in the second would be sweet!

You couldn't find two more guys that start with "K" for rounds 4 and 7? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Wow, top-10 for Apple? That's cool. I love how this draft process morphs from January to April. Guys we've never heard of now will be in the 1st round mocks come mid-April.

I think Fuller will be there at #25 and may be our guy if we want a CB. Right now I'd bet on a DL.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, i like dodd as well. i think they messed up kendall is the brother that plays for chicago i believe. kyle is the one for VT in the draft.:cool:

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Well, he was behind Branch and Huff his first 3 seasons. I'm not going to claim to have scouted the Raiders closely during those awful years.

What you see as "fairly obvious", i see as poor assumptions. There's absolutely nothing in Mitchell's tape (with the Steelers) that leads me to believe he couldn't play SS within our scheme.

You are implying that Mitchell is not comfortable in the box. I disagree.

And that was very much a Cover 3 scheme. If we want to play that way, I'd have Shazier playing the Spy role.

I strongly disagree. Our problems in the secondary are coverage problems. Not "in the box" problems.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

nope it's me thats backwards. kendell is this years version. either way i wanted kyle then and want kendell now. :smiley1::cool:

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like that we disagree about this, I don't think we've been thread opponents yet haha It's been a good debate

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    some speculation we'll get a 7th for Brice McCain