1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What did we learn this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm curious, because of some of the personnel decisions they've made over the course of several years.

Looking at the situation they had and having to play guys that were cut multiple times and not dressed for most of the year, what goes into those decision?

You had a bunch of unproven players showing that they could step up and play (some better than the starters they replaced). What's really going on with the player evaluations? Or is it just that those guys were more hungry for the chance that they played above their ceilings?

2. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    We learned that Ben is getting older and is getting more injury prone

Le'veon bell can't make it through the season without getting hurt

Antonio Brown is the best receiver in all of football

Susiham won't be back next year as our kicker

Steelers have never lost a game all season by more than seven points

Ryan mallet and Johnny Manzell threw more yards against our defense than Peyton Manning

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We learned that pass D isn't very good

Injuries are hard to overcome but not impossible

We like to go deep on 3rd and short

We have a tackling problem

We have a strong foundation for next season

Real steel is fond of ledges

Ben is a warrior

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Agree to all and add:

We still suck at special teams coverage, and it really hurts us.

We should always take two kickers into training camp, so we don't end up spending $6 million on them in one season. (With the cheapest one being the best...)

We should review a player's injury history before signing them to a big contract.

We need a big, physical corner to match up with the big receivers of our opponents; two would be even better.

We need a ball hawk safety in the worst way. (Hopefully, it's Senquez Golson.)

We would get byes in the playoffs if we stop dropping games to inferior teams each year.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm gonna say Big Al is a player! It's crazy to see where he started the season and where he ended.

I think I would start him next year at LT. He went toe to toe with some great players and held his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Antwon Blake is the worst starting CB in NFL
    James Harrison is still an upgrade over Jarvis Jones
    We have a new LT
    We have a new kicker
    We need to draft a cb
    We have Cody Wallace no need for Pouncey
    We need 3 good RBs to last the season, or else we will fumble Again Next year in the playoff
    Our punter needs to learn how to kick in windy wheather, he cost us the game.
    Ben is the best qb in the NFL
    Antonio Brown is the the best WR in the NFL

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's it guys....get it all out...we're here for you.....:drinks:

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    There's apparently no limit to how much Steelers stuff I'll buy.
    It gets worse as the season goes on.
    I'll keep right on doing it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    and it is possible to get playoff help from a non contender in week 17.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we learned that our defense usually plays better when we are more aggressive in coverage, especially when we are rushing 4. I'm not saying that we need to go Cover 0 and throw caution to the wind, but we shouldn't be afraid to mix in more aggressive man and zone coverages with 1 or 2 high safeties.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    I learned our Defense has to work on 3rd and long drills not just goalline drills.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    It's all Tomlin's fault;)

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think we knew this already, though...

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just my thoughts,

We learned that Ben could benefit on some off season condition and workout to help his quickness and footwork in the pocket. This year he has slowed down in that regard and one reason he gets injured more.

We learned that Boykin was better then Blake and coaches waited too long to notice or are too stubborn to change.

We learned that you should play your backup a little in order to get them some limited playing time instead of waiting until playoffs to see what you have. I.e.: Coates, Boykin, Jessie, Chickilo, Toussant, Todman, etc.

We learned that backup quaterback Jones stares down his receivers and easily gets his passes intercepted.

We learned that we played played better when not giving up 10 to 12 yard cushions in the secondary.

We learned that we are very weak tackling in the secondary.

We learned we need a ball hawk type saftey.

We learned that we need to address our secondary in the draft as in no.1 and no. 2 draft picks.

We learned sadly that Heath is getting older, slower and has maybe one more year.

We learned that our kicker is awesome, but our punter is shaky.

We learned we need to do something about our special teams and special team coaches. Enough is enough, when we go the whole year and don't have anybody that can field punts other than AB. Weak kickoff returns and many special team penaltys.

We learned that we need better backups for Heyward and Tuit as they played too much during games and got tired at the end of games, you could see that near the end of games their pass rush slowed way down. Thats why we needed to blitz more with our secondary in order to get to the QB. This really hurt us against Mallet, and Mansel.

We learned that it helps to be. 1st or 2nd seed in the playoffs and in order to get that we must beat the teams your suppose to during the regular season.

15. Steelers412

Steelers412 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2015
    We need to have 3 running backs in rotation next year. So many benefits - Maybe Bell can actually be healthy for the playoffs and your back-ups get some experience and not relying on them to do it all in their first game ever in the playoffs.

Don't use Bell in the passing game as much especially against the Bengals.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I learned that Steeler games give me hangovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    We learned not to smoke dope if you happen to be a world class running back.
    We learned to only use practice squad guys when we play against the Bungholes.

But most of all, I sure as hell hope the rest of the team was paying attention to how much higher a level that James Harrison was playing when it came to the playoffs. It is not "just another game" and you could see it in a few players, but...NOW THEY KNOW.

Be very afraid, the rest of the AFC...if 10 of our players could ramp it up another notch, there will be no stopping this team.

18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Harrison needs to get the entire defense together during the off season to practice tackling

We need a dominant pass rushing DE/OLB

We found a kicker

We need a punter

We have two CBs (unproven) waiting in the wings

Blake needs to play special teams only

Wheaton never ever needs to return another punt

We need a left guard

19. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    On 3rd and 1 we might as well punt cause we ain't getting a first down

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Pretty much.....we learned that going forward this team would be much better off adopting more of a move the chain offense ,not saying you don't take your chances down the field but the benefits of keeping your O on the field and your D off ,not to mention keeping Ben healthy. It would help us in close games and the playoffs.
    We also learned something but it's nothing new that beating the teams your supposed to gives you a better chance at a division title and a bye and the chance to get injured stars healthy and rested.....

21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We learned that we need to build the defense of 2008

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wallace isn't as good as Pouncey geez.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We learned that we have a damn good football team. We were missing so many key pieces and still made it as far as we did and probably came a lost fumble away from beating the top seed in the AFC on the road.

We need a starting SS and another CB
    ST unit looked great for a change. Boswell earned himself a job next season
    New punter
    We're pretty deep at quite a few positions
    Most of our top flight talent is young, so we need to figure out who is getting paid
    We need to stay healthy

Were a Super Bowl contender when healthy, so we need to do what we can to keep the most important people on our team and look to improve the weakest spots in the draft. In today's game you are going to be weak at a position or two... You just have to hit on those positions in the draft the following season. I hope we can.

24. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This one sticks out to me the most. We are so close people, so damn close to this team becoming not just a champion again, but a dynasty. I hope to God Tomlin and Colbert do whatever it takes to build up our secondary this year. If we can find a stud DB in this draft, Golson plays like a 2nd rounder should, and we can avoid the ridiculous # of injuries we had, oh man do I like our chances!

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need CB'S.
    We need a FS .
    The SS needs to be more of a Ball Hawk and less of a hitter .
    Need to continue to move on to the 4-3 as Shazier is probably our best defender and he needs DL coverage..
    Wallace is a good Center and should stay at that position....
    AB is the best WR in the game.
    Bryant has the tools to pass Bryant if he works for it...
    Miller is getting close to the end ,sadly ...
    Wheaton never needs to be the returner, he is terrible at it..
    Blake is the worse CB in the NFL and should be moved on ,but they probably won't..
    Need to start getting the BU'S more work ..
    Find a way to stop giving away games that we should win..
    This Team has a lot of Heart ...