1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's time to draft a good QB. Use the 2nd rounder

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frost33, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    If they spent a 4th round pick a few years ago on Landry, I don't see what the issue would be taking a QB in THIS draft. Ben is getting up there in age, not saying is done, but he isn't getting younger, and Jones has proved that he isn't gonna cut it. I would have no issue taking a QB in the 3rd round or so to potentially be the successor to Ben. Gradkowski should be outta here this offseason. Has a cool beard and seems nice but that's about it

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Get on Landry Jones all you want. He did get the team a win vs Arizona and the Raiders.
    Without those two wins we don't make the playoffs.

You live and die by #7 if he is out for the season, season is over.
    The back ups did the job keep the ship afloat, until the captain comes back.

Look at the Cowboys, had the back ups won half the games, they could have maybe still won
    their terrible division.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I do agree we need to draft a QB this year as we need a new 3rd QB, but ideally we wait until like the 6th or 7th round.

4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Problem with that is if you are a good college QB that could be a starter in the NFL, would you want to go to a team where you may have to wait 4 years to get a shot at starter? I think we will have to do more of the same. Scrounge for what is available as back-up until Ben gets too old. Then when we have a bad year, like we did before we picked Ben, get a first round QB.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Marquise Williams from UNC late in the draft ..I am calling it now as my steal of the draft. Last year it was Karlos Williams this year it is Marquise . Some lucky Team is going to get a Franchise QB for cheap..I hope it is the Steelers .. I am not sure why this kid doesn't get much Love , but he can sure play the position..http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/516347/marquise-williams

Look at those passing stats for the last 2 years .This kid is not a Athlete playing QB he is a QB who happens to be a Athlete ....I watched him in HS at the state playoffs and saw game tape on him he has the Arm and the smarts to be a very good NFL QB well worth a late round pick...I can tell you this he would be better than Landry on day 1....

6. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since 1936 the Steelers have drafted these QB's in the first two rounds of the draft.

1st round -

Ted Marchibroda 1953
    Len Dawson 1957
    Terry Bradshaw 1970
    Mark Malone 1980
    Ben Roethlisberger 2004

2nd round -

Terry Hanratty 1969
    Kordell Stewart 1995

Kind of amazing to see how few there are.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    6th or 7th round you're going to get garbage. Bringing in some Vet does nothing to prepare for the future. As much as I hate to even think about it, Ben is going to be gone sooner rather than later. Given his work ethic and leader ship, I want a GOOD young QB to study under him. Again, I point the the Favre-Rodgers situation. Draft one early to develop slowly and prep to take over as the man when Ben hangs em up.

If they're going to waste a 6th or 7th rounder on a QB that's a waste. Dreaming of finding a Brady in those rounds is a pipe dream. Can it happen? Of course, but those stories are far more rare and most players drafted in those rounds are gone pretty quickly.

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Brady might be the biggest QB draft steal ever but at least we picked up Tee Martin.

[​IMG]

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not so sure I agree, I think there are a lot of factors that need to be added other then what round your picked in. One factor I feel is the team you are going to and lets face it right now I am sure any QB would love to come here. Another factor is draft class, 2013 for example Manuel(1)-Smith(2)-Glennon(3)-Barkley(4) were all picked in the 1st four rounds. 2104 Murray(5)-McCarron(5)-Mettenberger(6) a nice group there but the top of the class was Bortles-Bridgewater in the 1st and Carr in the 2nd. Last year you had Mannion(3)-Petty(4)-Hundley(5) and I liked all 3 not sure how they pan out but again you have to add team in as a factor.

When we signed Batch everyone thought he was washed up and he turned into a very nice back up, same with lefty. As a matter of fact Lefty had such a good year with us he ended up getting a starting gig just to fall again.

We have limited picks this year with many needs, to draft a guy THIS year 1-2 might not be such a good idea. I haven't looked much into this class yet but I know I mentioned this kid before but Hogan from Stanford is a kid I think if falls to the 4th or further we have to look at.

10. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be nice to have a qb who might be able to succeed on the roster. However it is imperative Pittsburgh gets help for its d secondary. First two picks on cb/safety. Third pick on nt, then remaining picks on online and more secondary help.

11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We need to sign a veteran back up for the immediate issue of having NO back up. Then maybe spend a late round pick on someone to develop. Jones might be a fine 3rd string QB. He needs to improve , especially if he ever wants to be a #2, but compared to most 3rd string QB's...he's probably not terrible.