1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

List your top 3 draft needs

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by cajunyankee, Oct 30, 2015.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Anybody but Blake
    Safety
    Anybody but Blake

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Cockrell is not UFA, he's ERFA. He'll be back.

Why do we need a true 34 NT? We play less than 50% of our snaps from a base 34 front.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My bad on Cockrell he is an ERFA but still even with him coming back is CB still not one of our biggest needs????? So I guess mistake or not you get my point. My need for a true 34 NT is so we could play more 34 base and also maybe have him play up front when we aren't. We are so bad vs the run since we lost big snack I want to get back to that. I love Heyward but seeing him in the middle is killing us, jmo!

4. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    CB all the way.

As for NT/stopping the run. We are 6th in rush yards against, and 2nd in Rush TDs against. It shouldn't be a concern, in relation to CBs.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Ok fine throw out stats but do answer me this are you happy with our run D???? I am not, when I watch a game I see this team give up big chunks in the air and on the ground.

6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, I am perfectly content with our run D.

I understand that in a cap and free agency world you can't build a generational run D, have a pass rushing presence, a secondary that can play man, a top tier passing game, an offensive line of pro bowlers, and the leagues best QB/WR/RB combo...

We need to be able to stop the pass, all of our focus should be on that (via man corners, range safeties, and pass rushers... A 3/4 NT? Is pretty low on my list of needs

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I hate seeing the occasional big run given up by our nickel D, but a 3-4 NT remains low on my list.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well as long as you content with our run D we have nothing to talk about, I am not content with our run D. This has nothing to do with the cap era or the best qb/rb/wr like you say it has to do with guys playing there position. Look how many 1st round picks we have on the D and we can't stop either....imo!

10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    As long as you realize it's an opinion completely unsupported by... Facts

We stop the run just fine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Totally disagree, it is my opinion but watch the games and let me know how we are vs the run.....last week was a good example. Stats can be made to look one sided, when a team is real bad in one area the other area looks good cause teams don't need to go that way vs us. The fact is our D is bad no matter how you try to sugar coat it......

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You were close to having a point... Our secondary is so bad that teams run against us less, that is true. So that could have an impact in our 6th overall rush defense in rush yards against per game...

BUT...

We are 5th in Rush Yards against per attempt at 3.8

So, you're still wrong

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    An now I see why you have been thru "many message boards" like you posted in another thread. Not here to argue with you and I am not wrong.........

14. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Now THAT you are right about! :this!:

(Not the run defense, that you are factually wrong about)

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I hear ya. Teams are passing against us 63.3% of the time. Run 36.7% Our rushing defense may be good statistically but are they stopping the run on 3rd down? or in crucial times of the game? I can't find that stat. Maybe those runs are sticking out to you. I feel pretty good about the run defense, but like you said, why run when you can throw all over us. Teams are converting 41% of their third downs. There's an area we could improve. Houston tops at 29% and Jax last at 46%.

Last draft I had some flirtations with Malcolm Brown (drafted by cheaters). He's been in for them 44% of the time. Shelton with the Browns 48%. Brown's last year had Rubin with 38% in 13 games. So drafting a talented NT upped their play it would seem. Very tough to compare teams and how they use players. Just giving an indication. McClendon in for us 34% of the time. So chicken or egg. Would a stud NT play more for us or not? No offense to Big Mac, I think he's doing a good job. But he's a FA this year. Tough question because a dominate NT can also open the pass rush by occupying blockers too. I am never against adding studs to the line on either side of the ball, but I think it comes down to timing. We could really us some premium picks on the secondary so I would tend to argue against a high pick at NT until some of the other glaring needs are met.

side note: Vince Wolfork had 73% for New England last year in all 16 games, that's crazy for the big guy.

16. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I agree that NT is not a primary need. If we can retain McClendon and McCullers, we are fine there. The entire secondary needs a makeover and new talent to come in, addressing it In Free Agency and the first couple rounds.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    So many teams use 3, 4, and 5 WR sets now a days that a "true" 34 NT is almost a dead breed in today's NFL. Even a good number of TE's are more like WR's than traditional TE's in the passing game. We don't run much base defense because we don't want LB's matched up with WR's and receiving TE's all day. We need the extra DB out there for matchup purposes. So I wouldn't even look at a "true" 34 NT until at least the 3-4th round.

Now if we can find someone who could man the NT spot in the base D, and also be a force in a traditional 43 DT role (for when we go to nickel D)... Then I'd be on board. The position flexibility is key. I'm assuming that's what you are implying, correct?

It's tough to find guys that fit a traditional 34 NT role that are athletic enough to pull off the nickel DT role tho. If we could get someone like that, then I'd be all about it. I just think we have more pressing needs elsewhere.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I agree and let me say this, I do not want to draft a true NT in the first I still feel our biggest need is CB. I guess where I am getting off track is with the 34 NT is I think we need to find guys who can play inside instead of putting Tuitt and Heyward there. With us running the kind of D that we do it makes no sense for a true 34 NT. However I feel if we keep going 34-43 we are always gonna have these kinds of problem.

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think I'd target a quick disrupting DT in the mold of Aaron Donald rather than a plugging DT in the mold of Casey Hampton. At least for an early pick. Our OLB's aren't getting it done and we need more help from our interior rush to help keep pressure off our OLB's. Tuitt and Heyward should not be logging 90% of defensive snaps, having a guy that can come in and give them a breather in passing situations would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and I think this is what I have been trying to say. Just because I feel NT/DT is one of our biggest needs don't mean I want to draft one in the 1st. I wanted Justin Ellis a couple years ago I thought he would have been a nice pick for us, but we took Archer instead!!! That was the same draft Cockrell was in and did I mention we took Archer in front of both??? Ok just messing around, that was the past sorry to bring up that running back again, lol! Back to the topic I do agree strongly with your post, lots of people just think our lb's are to blame but I feel up front is where it starts.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You would target another Tuitt?

I have no problem with Heyward and Tuitt logging 90% of the defensive snaps. Tuitt is 22 years old. Heyward is only 26. They are the 2 best players on our entire defense. They should be on the field as much as possible.

We can have a guy who comes in to give them a breather without investing a critical draft pick that should be focused on real areas of need, not backups.

I guess that's where I am confused. If you don't want to address it in the 1st round, then it's not your biggest area of need. We can sign someone for this role, we can continue to develop someone for this role (Walton), we can draft someone let for this role... it's not our biggest need, it's an area where we have 2 pro bowl caliber players. It's one of greatest strengths, not a weakness.

22. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn't necessarily target another 3-4 DE, but ideally a 4-3 penetrating DT, because we don't have that on our roster and I really think it would help our defense. I wouldn't draft one if a comparable DB was also on the board, but if there is really nothing else to take and a good DL is there, take him, especially the later in the draft we get. Getting our defense off the field on third down is a need of ours, so any position/player that could help with that would be a welcomed addition.

I think 90% of snaps for a DL is too much. They're basically wrestling on every play, followed by a short sprint. They can't possibly be 100% effective late in games. I think the 90% number is more necessity than desire considering who we have in relief.

23. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    What? a penetrating DT... is exactly what Tuitt is when we go nickel. He's the B Gap UnderTackle. The definition of a penetrating DT. Unless we are getting in to a larger discussion about changing our base defense. I'll assume your desire for a 43 penetrating DT was in relation to our nickel defense, in which case, problem solved... we have said player in Tuitt.

While 90% isn't ideal. Given their age as a tandem... it's nowhere near an high priority issue. Backups can be found to spell them

But if we are getting into a larger discussion about scheme... I hope the continue down the hybrid path. Tuitt and Heyward are scheme versatile. And Dupree has edge athletics that are rare and should be exploited.

DE - Heyward - 2 Gap/5tech
    UT - Tuitt - 1 Gap/3Tech
    NT - McCullers - 2 Gap/1 Tech
    DE - Dupree - Leo

Stealing from Pete/Seattle

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so this thread is top 3 draft needs not 1st round draft need. I have said CB is our biggest need, I think DT/NT is an area of need, IMO I feel one of our top 3 needs. Yes we have both Walton and McCullers and maybe they are the answer but I don't know that. For the record I like both I just don't know or have seen enough to judge if they are the answer. I know we disagree on our run defense and that's fine I feel we need help there. You don't have to agree but I hope this helps clear up your confusion.

25. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I always thought of Tuitt as more of an overpowering strength guy, like Heyward and Aaron Smith. I was thinking we need a guy that wins with quickness. Keep in mind I only see portions of the national games so I may be missing out on some things that Tuitt does. So if we're talking solely about backing up Tuitt and Heyward, then yeah, that need, while present, isn't as pressing as DB or even some on offense and we can look to FA if we need a veteran guy to do it.