1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cody Wallace penalty

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, this was the point I was trying to make. Penalties are situational.

I'm not sure I buy that it set the tone, either - it's not like the Broncos receivers were afraid of being hit because of what our back up centre did. They were afraid because the defense played more aggressively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Are we talking football, or are you still sat by your mortar launcher? I never know with you, sarge...

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually he went against a 300 pound lineman in Wallace. LOL!
    Plus green font equals sarcasm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

There is that. I don't understand with the regular posters and how they don't get the green font. It's been around for awhile now.. Not as long as beating off defenders and pimply dan but long enough for it to catch on lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I don't know why this one play got so much attention. It really wasn't that high on the dirty scale.

Down the road Wallace won't get the benefit of the doubt regarding his intentions and he shouldn't just like Burfict shouldn't.

I do like that Wallace has a streak in him, and the Steelers are lucky he is playing as well as he is. He is a helluva lot better than Mahan was hahaha.

Still dirty though.

I'm pretty damn impressed so many Steelers fans are seeing past allegiances to admit Wallace is often over the line. That's pretty cool.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No, of course he hasn't done as well as us people that don't watch 25 hours of film per week think. The Steelers OL is protecting Ben and running the ball at remarkable levels but poor little Cody Wallace's performance is being picked apart by Ron Jaworski wannabes and he just isn't cutting the mustard. The fact is he is anchoring a line that's playing better than any offensive line the Steelers have had in the last decade but all I hear from some folks is how Wallace just isn't getting the job done because his name isn't Maurkice Pouncey. Hey, we're winning, our running game is thriving (without our thoroughbred) and Ben's jersey is staying clean. The guy in the middle of the line snapping him the ball is Cody Wallace and I for one am appreciative of the job he's doing this season! And no, I'm not going to order "all 22" and I'm not going to watch hour upon hour of film to try to pick apart his performance. He's not Pouncey, I get that, but he's also not helping to bust the Steelers salary cap while rehabbing from injury which is what Pouncey has been doing of late (through no fault of his own).

Give the guy some credit. He deserves it!

Here's an article that may give a little additional context to Wallace's mindset. And I don't care what anyone says, the shot 97 leveled on AB was designed to take him out. I'll admit it was before the whistle, but he saw an opportunity to take out the guy that was getting ready to eat their lunch! I don't blame the guy, I would have done the same thing. But I understand why Wallace, in the heat of battle, would let the Broncos know that there will be retribution for that kind of CRAP! Unfortunately, on the field of play and in the heat of the battle at times you really don't have time to analyze what an appropriate response should be and what the repercussions of such a response will be. These guys play at 90 mph for 3 hours. It's a game of read and react. Wallace read that the guys in the other uniforms were trying to abuse our primary difference maker in the Black and Gold and he reacted to that. Does it look dumb after the fact, YES! But I'm willing to cut him a break. I think those of you calling him a thug and a criminal because of this need to chill.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-...xpecting-fine-for-lunge-into-broncos-defender

Here's another article about Wallace that I found pretty interesting. It seems that no less than Antonio Brown and David Decastro speak about him in glowing terms:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151118/SPORTS0403/151119422

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Exactly. You don't see players like JH, Mitchell - or even Peezy when he played - taking cheap shots after the whistle. They let their intimidation speak volumes during play. I have no problem with hard hits to send a statement, but stupid ones like Wallace's just make me SMH.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Right. You actually see players like Peezy taking shots BEFORE the whistle and getting ejected IN PRE-GAME WARMUPS! And Harrison came that close (holds fingers a millimeter apart) to getting ejected from the SUPER BOWL of all games after he lost his cool and windmilled the guy blocking him. We've also talked about the Lambert situation in the Super Bowl a few years ago. And Mean Joe Greene...I won't even go to some of the shenanigans he pulled. Look it up!

I think we all need to understand that these guys are warriors. They are extreme competitors and at times the competitive juices can make you do things that you regret later. To me the bottom line was that Wallace got flagged protecting one of his own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Why do you keep bringing up Mean Joe Greene?

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The hit on Brown that angered Wallace (and myself) was totally legal, but it was cheap. AB was under control and going down so the extra love tap by Jackson (I think) was unnecessary. Totally allowable by the rules, and we see it all the time, and I'm not trying to debate if it was right or wrong, I'm just saying it was excessive. Nothing that Silverback hasn't done or won't do in the future if given the opportunity.

Wallace's reaction was cheap, dirty, and illegal. But it was an adequate response-in-kind to the hit AB took. It's only getting a lot of attention because of how blatant it was. DeCastro plays that dirty game all the time, hitting dudes after the whistle in scrums, trying to dig his fingers into the facemask, etc. I don't know if it's his Stanford pedigree but he gets away with it because he's more subtle than Wallace. Anyway, if they (the opposing team) are going to come into our house and try to be the bad guy on the block then I fully expect our players to attempt to stand up to it. Wallace did that. And I bet everyone in that locker room loves him for it, expect maybe Foster who seemingly doesn't like aggressive play (re: Geathers). A 15-yard penalty to me is worth it, especially that early in the game. Now if we play these guys again hopefully they will be focused on retribution against Wallace instead of playing a tight game.

Also, had AB fumbled on the play, Bruton would've been in prime position to recover. The next time someone fumbles and our guys are just standing around watching I'll be clamoring for someone to "Wallace" the pile. I'll take the penalty and possession any day over no possession and a clean image.

Again, what Wallace did was cheap and dirty, and definitely illegal. No question there. But some of us are saying that sometimes crap like that is necessary. It happens in hockey and baseball, and probably basketball too. You're darned tootin' it should happen in an impact sport like football.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I see what you're saying Jack, but by this logic Chris Kemoeatu would be one of the greatest player the Steelers ever had.

But he wasn't. Why? Because not all penalties equate to playing with heart or being an uber competitor. Some amount to being a dick.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Have you seen some of the stuff MJG did back in the 70s? Remember when he punched the Bronco OL in the stomach with his fist? Remember when he elbowed the Philly OL in the head after the whistle? Remember when he took the football and threw it into the stands during a game in which the Steelers were losing? I could go on for a while. You probably don't remember because you're a young whipper snapper ;). But my point is that when the competitive juices start flowing a switch flips for some people and they may react in ways that they ordinarily would not react. What Wallace did was not a smart thing, I understand that. But come on people. We want to throw the guy under the bus for trying to protect a teammate (though in a somewhat misdirected way) in the heat of an intense gridiron battle.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    By what logic? I'm not saying that being an "on the edge" player makes you a great player. I think at times though we're willing to overlook our superstars if they play with an edge as opposed to the trenchmen like Wallace and Kemoeatu.

And I thought Kemo was an absolute idiot by the way. The difference to me in what Wallace did and what Kemo normally did was that Wallace seemed to be trying to protect one of his brethren. I'm okay with that.

14. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The message was to the Bronco LB/DL corps... not their offense

• Like Like x 1
  15. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We would have all been whooping it up if Debo and come in like that and knocked the ball loose... tell me you wouldn't! Cody was seeing red and possibly wasn't quick witted enough to pull on the reigns when the play was over (honestly I don't recall if he had built momentum when 97 was in the processes of "tapping" AB)

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you borrow Glenns chip???

You're a riot, Jack, you start thread like this and then get all bent out of shape when people don't slobber heaps of praise over a marginal talent like Cody.

He's a dirty player and took a cheap shot at someone and hurt us in the process and I dont care what YOU think about that ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You really can say that AB was not "targeted at the head and neck area" after watching that gif?

Yes it was before the whistle, but I'm damn certain his intent was to hit him in the head/neck and knock him out the game.

Wallace took a reckless approach at retribution and hit the wrong guy. I dont fault his intent. I fault his execution. If the refs are going to let things get to that point in the game, teams will start doing thier own enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I never know either Thigpen82 this time it is just in general Ha!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he also broke that leg before Dr Wallace hit him

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw one guy try and strip the ball and another guy that was trying to knock the ball loose. It's football, see plays like that all the time.

I don't see plays like Codys all the time though.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    There we go! That's the Blast I've come to know and love over the years. Our discourse lately has been entirely too civil!! :lolol:

As Fonzie would say...EXACTAMUNDO!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It doesn't matter. AB was a runner at that point, head is fair game. Besides, the guy hitting him played D line... There's a really good chance he's more than half a foot taller than AB. What's he supposed to do, drop to his knees so he can hit AB in the numbers? Lol

There are so many ways of warping this to make it seem like less of a big deal, but it's not. I have my own elements of homerism, but not nearly enough to justify that hit. If this happened in a Raiders/Rams game there would be almost no one defending the cheap shot.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It would be more like getting mad at someone for throwing inside to our best player and then having your pitcher peg someone in the dugout.

• Like Like x 1
  24. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    WHAT DOES AB AND DD KNOW
    You know you have to brag about the man who hasn't played ALL SEASON and WEARS A FREE HERNANDEZ SHIRT OR HAT and FIGHTS WITH PEOPLE AT A BAR IN FLORIDA and WAS A THE SCENE OF A SHOOTING WITH SUSPECTED SHOOTER and DID I MENTION HASN'T PLAYED ALL SEASON

• Like Like x 2
  25. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    FRIENDS WITH A WOMAN BEATER and IS HURT ALL THE TIME and DID I MENTION HASN'T PLAYED ALL SEASON

• Like Like x 1