1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better start rooting for the Pats next week

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JPP, Dec 20, 2015.

1. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Of course, no guarantee the Steelers can beat the Ravens and Browns to close out the year.

Put themselves in this spot by losing winnable games to Ravens, Chiefs and Bengals

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Heck root for the Broncos next week
    We gonna win this division

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    The interesting part about that Bengal - Bronco game......

If Cincy wins that game, the clinch the division, but it puts the Steelers in line for the 5 seed (assuming the Chiefs win the West) since the Steelers hold the tiebreaker vs the Jets and Broncos now.

4. blitzgirl

blitzgirl Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think we can, right?

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if the jets the chefs and us win out who is in ?

6. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yes we can.

Let's win them both and see what happens. I have a feeling the Bills get up for the Jets game in the last week if Jets are still alive.

What's really interesting- as noted- is that the Steelers can benefit from either outcome of that Broncos/Bengals game next week.

7. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Nothing else matters other than this......it's Ravens week....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm sure the Pats don't need anyone else to root for them against a division rival! As for us, I don't think next week will be a problem. I watched some of the Raven's game today and they are AWFUL! The Browns? Well, they're the Browns!

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The steelers would be 6th seed Chiefs 5th seed.
    Jets would lose to steelers based on common opponents, basically we beat the raiders and they lost to them. We would be tied with division record and conference record it then goes to common opponents.

Also if the pats beat them next week, and we beat the Ravens. That should qualify us for the playoffs.

Pats can lock up homefield advantage throughout if they win next week.

10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Steelers own the tie breaker against the Jets. .we have a better record against the same 4 teams that both teams have played..that's why it shows the Jets looking in

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  12. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    If I play around on the ESPN playoff machine, if we win out and Bengals, lose out, they still win the division. What am I missing?

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We control our own destiny, can't ask for much more than that at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks JPP for making my monitor throw-up. I didn't even think a computer could do that.

15. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Depends, if the Broncos lose 1 too, then they are out.

16. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I saw that too, but I think it's wrong because it's claiming common opponents, but they'd both be 10-4 vs the common opponents. I think it goes to SOV, which the Steelers own.

17. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not quite as simple as that. The Broncos would have to lose both and the right combination of teams win/lose to give the Chiefs the title.

18. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    On another thread, it claims that is point differential, which we currently lose and would have to score 50+ points next week to get in the ball park.

I'm not arguing, truly. I just don't understand how that works. I don't think we have been mathematically eliminated from the AFCN title, but it seems a little more complicated than us winning and Bengals losing.

19. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Actually it doesn't matter.

If the Steelers, Jets and Chiefs win out and the Bronco lose either of their final 2 games. The Chiefs win the AFC West, the Steelers are the 1st WC (assuming they don't win the North) and the Jets would be the 2nd WC.

20. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    They're going to be the 6th seed, play the loser of Bengals/Denver to get a shot at the Pats. Just start planning for that now...

21. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I think it's wrong now - I don't think they have it updated yet. The Steelers and Bengals are both 1-1 vs uncommon opponents (Pats/Colts vs Bills/Texans). Strength of Victory will come into play at 11-5 and the differences are (Colts, Cards, Broncos vs Texans, Seattle, Chiefs).

So if the number of wins by the Colts, Cards Broncos are greater than (or equal to - because then it goes to SOS) exceed the number of wins by Texans, Seattle, Chiefs the Steelers win SOV. Right now the Steelers side of that equation is +2.

22. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Likely, but if Denver loses to Cincy, KC wins out and the Steelers win out, then they're playing the AFC South winner. That's not totally absurd to see happening.

23. blitzgirl

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting. Thanks for explaining.

24. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Clearly the ESPN machine is wrong right now. Here's the tiebreaker in a division. Assuming the Steelers win out and Bengals lose out to wind up tied at 11-5

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more teams in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two teams
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the teams). Split 1-1
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. Tied 4-2
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. Tied 10-4
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. Tied 8-4
    5. Strength of victory. - This is where it's decided. Arizona/Indy/Denver wins vs. Seattle/Houston/KC wins. Right now Steelers are +2.
    6. Strength of schedule. - Steelers hold advantage here too (Pats/Colts vs Bills/Texans) - Bills can be no closer than 4 games from Pats. Colts can be no further than 3 back of Texans. It goes no further than this one.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

• Like Like x 1
  25. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!:I never count on ANY outside help. If we get it fine, if not so be it!

• Agree Agree x 1