1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we still win the North?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It's a lot of stats, and no word how bad Dalton's thumb is, but if we end up tying the Bengals, which is a lot to ask, do we win the North? Somebody help me out with the stats and numbers....

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes I think we win

Aj gonna throw a ton of ints
    Ben gonna throw a ton of tds

We win out and r the 3 seed

3. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    yes we can.

The Bengals/49ers really isn't that crucial- because it's the Bengals losing the last 2 AFC games, while the Steelers win out, that would give them a div. title deep within the tiebreakers. If of course the Bengals lose out- and the Steelers win out- the Steelers win the the div. by a game.

The Steelers can even be the #2 seed.

4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If they lose the last two games they are 4-2 in the division and so are the Steelers. So what is the next tiebraker after that?? If it's conference record they both would be 8-4 as well. So what would be the next tiebraker then?? Common opponents.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Does it also seem likely they could win out and miss the playoffs? They are the 7 seed right now.

7. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    If the Steelers win out and the Jets and KC win out they get in over the Jets based on common opponents. So if they win out they are in period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    if they all win out the Steelers go to the playoffs and likely face Cincy in round 1

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've heard that, just don't know why they aren't the 6 seed now.

10. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Cause the Jets are 6-4 in the AFC and the Steelers are 5-4. So it's basically just a technicality as to why they are ahead now. They have played one more conference game. Good news is playoffs don't start tomorrow so it doesn't really matter that the Jets are ahead of us now. If the Steelers and Jets both win out they wont be ahead of them in 3 weeks when it really matters.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    The Broncos are losing to the Raiders now 15-12. Another interesting tidbit if the Broncos lose today and the Steelers win out and the Bengals lose their last two games at Denver and against Baltimore the Steelers would be the number 2 seed in the playoffs. It's a long shot at this point but with the Dalton injury now it's not completely impossible to suggest this couldn't happen.

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Dalton done for the season, not sure if that includes postseason

13. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    Win the North? and get this, I just ran a bizarre scenario- which requires the Patriots to lose out all 4- in which the Steelers finish as the #1 seed.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Stranger things have happened

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Man I want to believe, but the Steelers scare me...

They are playing better due to Ben being back, but the defense was making the backup qb look pretty good, and the offense struggled once again to put it in the endzone outside of two drives.

This team needs to still get better to make a serious run.

16. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Not if the Chiefs don't lose a game, because they'd win the West and get the 2 seed at 11-5 in that scenario.

17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Noticed the O problems myself - seems they got out of sync after the 2nd quarter. Not sure why...

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They wont know how long Dalton will be out until he gets an MRI today on his thumb, since it is the digit that is important to grip the ball on his throwing hand, it's going to be crucial in how long he rehabs, my guess is he wont be back anytime soon.....

19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Scenario #1: Steelers win out and take #2 seed as Bengals and Broncos stumble. 1. NE; 2. Pit; 3. Den; 4. South; 5./6. KC/Cincy. In this situation, Steelers get a bye but might end up with KC or Denver at home in a tough divisional round game. It would be preferable, of course, that somehow the Steelers get Cincy or the AFC South winner.

Scenario #2: Steelers win out but still end up behind Denver and have the #3 seed. 1. NE; 2. Den; 3. Pit; 4. South; 5./6. KC/Cincy. Believe it or not, this scenario might NOT be advantageous, if KC ends up at #6. The Steelers would be better off hosting a hobbled Cincy team.

Scenario #3: Steelers win out and take WC. 1. NE; 2. Den; 3. Cincy; 4. South; 5./6. Pit/KC. In this case, the Steelers really, really, really want a #5 seed, in order to draw a weak-a$$ AFC South opponent. Furthermore, it is possible....VERY VERY possible that at #6 KC wins in Cincy and then goes to Foxborough and beats the Pats to force a #6 at #5 AFC Championship game at Heinz. This is what we would have to hope for.

KC is the only team that can possibly beat the Pats. I don't see the Steelers doing it with their secondary. Plus, the offense would have to put up huge numbers, and we all know that Ben is good for at least one really bad, costly interception a game, and I do not trust him or the Steelers' O to play mistake-free football in Foxborough.

20. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Scenario 1 or 3 can't occur unless the Chiefs lose a game. I can't see that happening. The Steelers are likely the 6 seed because of that loss to KC.

21. bim94

bim94 Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    It can absolutely happen. If the Chiefs can lose to both the Bears and Vikings, then the Raiders can certainly beat them too. I think the likelihood of the Chiefs winning out is similar to that of PIT's chances to do the same. Neither of which are required for PIT to claim that 6 seed. In any case, I like the breakdown and insight of 12to88 and I am with him...rooting for scenario #3.

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We will win out, unfortunately I do not see Bagels losing out. If they do then awesome! Man, KC and NY need to lose a darn game, what the heck!

23. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers win out and they clinch no worse than the 6th seed... no help needed. Add in 1 KC loss and the Steelers claim the 5th seed. For the division...there are 2 ways it can happen. #1 Steelers win out and the Bengals lose out. #2 Both teams tie at 11-5 and Cincys losses are the 2 AFC games they finish the season with(Den,Balt).

24. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Our chances look positive in taking the AFC north, though I wish someone in the org. would present our secondary a book on tackling for Dummies, and one for the D on how to keep your foot on the gas. If were fortunate enough to get in the playoffs, our tackling & push must improve if were going to go deep in the p/o's. Need to keep the pressure on the entire 60 mins and get the 6 points each visit to score and stop the Boswellic dependence.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately so is losing. -Vince Lombardi

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We just need to win out. Go into the playoffs on a 5 game win streak, that would be good. I think we can play with anybody, as long we don't beat ourselves.
    Turnovers are everything.