1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Boykin saga continues

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Nov 20, 2015.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I have to disagree with that. Grant has shown absolutely nothing while Boykin has played in the NFL for a couple years. That in and of itself makes him better insurance. Let's not forget when/if we lose Boykin to free agency we more than like will receive a compensatory pick. Which pretty much nullifies the draft pick we traded away. As far as trading for a kicker we don't know if Scobee is the only one targeted. I'm pretty sure that young kicker was struggling as bad if not worse than scobee early on.

/edit I just checked on the Jags kicker. So far he's missed 4 fg and 3 PAT.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think they intended on playing Boykin... Then Cockrell became available (via roster cuts), and simply out-performed Boykin. That's it. There isn't anything fishy going on, they just think Cockrell is better.

Also you can't count on a current 4th round draft pick as your main insurance due to injury. Especially if they weren't seeing enough in him to make the initial 53. I like Grant, but if he was forced into action this year it could've been disastrous. At least this way we will have a player who we know has performed decently in the league if one of our corners go down.

Also we will make that pick up next year in compensatory picks anyway. There's a real possibility that Beachum is gone. Also we have other FA's who won't be here next year (Boykin is one). We may not get a 5th and 6th to mirror the ones we gave up, but we will get multiple picks.

You can't be afraid to spend a late round pick on NFL caliber insurance sometimes. I wouldn't advocate it every year, but most of the late round guys are just depth anyways. You'll get lucky every once in a while, and that's why you try to keep those picks... But in some situations moves like this are fine. It didn't turn out as well as many fans had hoped, but we have a quality depth player if we need him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Crockrell and Gay...are good to go. Blake, is the type of player...just when you are about to make a case for him to be replaced....he makes a splash play.
    Now, don't forget next year,we have Boykins,Grant,Allen,and Golston.Although I think Allen is gone and boykins,grant,golston will be backups with the opportunity to unseat this years starters

4. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe Boykin could return kickoffs?

5. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boykins playing time is limited to save a draft pick. He plays less than 65% we don't have to give up the 4th round pick. Simple as that

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I get what you're saying about depth, and agree it has to be managed. My problem with the Boykin move is in the overspend to backfill a single area - a 2015 4th (Grant) and a compensatory 2016 5th targeting a single need and little-to-nothing to show for it. This affects team depth at other positions. I'm not saying Grant was the answer just because he was drafted, but in terms of cost I think the team should have waited until the roster cuts started coming down before investing another draft pick at the position. But obviously they saw potential in him becoming more than just a backup to Gay.

I don't really think compensatory picks should enter the discussion when considering trading off a draft pick; it's too hard predict if you'll even get one, let alone where. Only 32 are handed out a year, and the league won't release its formula in calculating how they're determined. Salary, playing time, and postseason accomplishment all play a part, but Boykin won't yield much return there. Beachum's would depend on the size of contract. Personally I don't think he'll see a substantial offer outside of Pittsburgh, but I could be wrong. Even if he isn't re-signed the team will surely sign another OT, which will cut into any compensatory potential. Either way, they're meant to buffer signficant FA loss; using them to cover trade overspend has a good chance of putting you in the hole in terms of overall talent and depth.

7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    My point wasn't about how Scobee's replacement was doing, but that the Jags had brought in a guy to potentially replace him because of his performance over the past couple of seasons. I think the wiser play would have been to try out more FA kickers and/or wait for the roster cuts to begin before anteing up a draft pick for Scobee.

Grant may or may not show anything at the pro level, but my concern is with the amount of resources the team is spending at the position for little return. Obviously the secondary is an issue that needs to be addressed, but they've now tossed a 4th and conditional 5th next year that have little prospect of return at this point. Understanding that no one scores 100% in this area, I think the FO has to get a lot better in terms of efficiency when acquriing and developing their talent.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you. If all we were really looking for in the DB department was insurance and ST player, why not keep our 4th rounder for that - if all he is gonna do is basically play ST, makes no sense to give up future picks instead of using our own pick this year. We basically kicked out 4th round pick to the curb and then gave up a pick next year for something that we already had in the 4th rounder.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, there is one thing that we are all overlooking. At least ....TTHEY ALL CAN CATCH!! Do you remember the days when our CB's couldnt an catch an int... even if their life depended upon it?!

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Boykin won't be back next year his contract is up.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd like to be making what he's making to be doing what he's doing.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would think he would be back if they would give him a chance to play

13. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I've read this and I just don't buy it. What we aren't privy to is what is happening at practice. Maybe he doesn't know the coverages? Does he have an attitude? I just don't believe they would risk wins over a draft pick slot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Has nothing to do with snap count. He's barely playing ANY snaps, if it was just a matter of keeping his snaps down, they could still get him some playing time.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm sure Boykin wants nothing to do with the Steelers after this season, he will only play this season if there are injuries.