1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Boykin saga continues

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Read an article yesterday, and Carnell Lake was asked about Boykin, and his lack of playing time. Lake offered that Boykin was not seeing time simply because the Steelers secondary is doing " okay" and the team is sticking with that? We are 27th in pass defense, yet 5th in points allowed, and AB has said more than one that Boykin is the best DB on the team. I'm still shocked he has not played more, and this answer by Lake sounds as if he won't. We've had some injuries over the last 8 weeks, so playing time was available, and he got very little? I still say at years end when he leaves there will be a story that tells the truth, and I'd love to hear it because as of today, the Steelers like being "okay." ( not saying Boykin is The best DB in the NFL but he has to be worth more than one play a game)

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If AB says Boykin is the best DB on the team, that's enough for me. He ought to be playing. When he has been on the field he's made plays. I don't understand Tomlin's love affair with Blake and his apparent disdain for Boykin.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's not a love affair with Blake. Everything I've read the steelers view Boykin as a slot corner and prefer gay there

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Still think we should try Blake at FS with Gay, Boykin and Cockrell playing CB.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That isn't going to happen mid season. Only way that would happen is if they switched Blake to S in the off season, and we all know Boykin won't be on the team next year anyways...

Besides, no reason to mess around with things. We already have a FS that's playing really well this year.

6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Same here, but Philly preferred Boykin in the slot as well. So it was well-known ahead of time where Gay and Boykin's strengths were, yet the FO still felt it necessary to spend a draft pick to get him here? The offseason's last month of Scobee, Boykin, and Vick were perplexing to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Next up: solving our running back depth problem by trading for a running back, then benching him because we think of him more as a fullback and we prefer the running backs we already have.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this guy must be in charge lately > :goofy:

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Boykin isn't as good as some fans think he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Fixed it for you. :whistley:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I think it's as simple as this... We have no idea what to do at the position. History would be on my side I think on this one.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That could be it, they didn't get the player they thought they was getting.

13. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's why even after drafting supposed ball Hawks they get thrown away. Our team values highly those that can't be trusted to man but that can tackle in space keeping stuff in front of them, and the tackling has become questionable as of late so I can't figure it out.

14. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Seems to be their theme

Maybe they don't know how to use what they got in that dept?

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A real head scratcher? Something just isn't right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I said Boykin got caught Bonking Tomlin's wife . There is really no other logical explanation...

17. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    There is something wrong if AB says Boykin is our best DB and he does not play while our pass D is 27th. If we continue to get carved up you cant count on turnovers.

I look to the Vick move and have no confidence in someone, just cant figure out who the dip$#%+ is.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I think this is pretty much it... he won't start ahead of Gay. If he doesn't play I'm fine, I just don't like the panic move of trading a draft pick away for him when we got Ross Cockrell off the street. Where does that put Senquez then? He will be in Boykin's position next year, and it will be more waiting behind Gay on the Depth chart. This is a 2nd round pick we used on him?

Overall I like our secondary, our LB's need to play better to make it easier on the Secondary IMHO.

Blake does seem to play like a safety, I'd like to see the coaches try him there in camp next season. Some people were saying Doran Grant is going to be tried at Safety too so I guess we'll see.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We may never know the truth. This FO is so bi-polar....they make just as many seemingly bone-head moves as great ones.

Boykin was ranked as the #2 best slot corner, the Steelers traded for him a 4/5th rd pick because we had a Big need, AB says he's the best on the team, he produces in minimal limited snaps, had a slight groin injury, gets upset with Tomlin over lack of snaps.......................

Now he is strictly a part time STer only............. and don't forget, our projected best CB C. Allen is out of service....again.

Cajun-

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cortez is done, Cockrell is playing too good to be unseated IMHO.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I would say its was more of an insurance move than panic. Also Cockrell wasn't available when the trade was made.

Does anyone have a link to where Brown says Boykin is the best corner we have? There are several people on here that say it happened, but none of them have provided a source(to my knowledge).

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't have a link, but I believe he said it during one of his weekly radio spots. I don't know if he said he's the best corner on the team exactly. I wanna say it was 'he's the toughest to go up against' or something of that nature.

23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This may have been thier motivation, but you don't trade next year's 4th/5th for insurance, especially if you've also doled out your 6th. Instead, use this year's 4th round pick to spot fill as needed and see what, if anything, you have there.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

The draft was two months before any of this transpired. If our 2nd round pick hadn't come up with a bum shoulder the trade wouldn't have been at all. Just as if our kicker hadn't blown out a knee we wouldn't have traded a 6th.

25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I was alluding to Doran Grant, this year's 4th rounder whom they initially cut. If insurance was all they were looking for, that's a much more sensible option. As for the kicker situation, I think iif they were going to spend a draft pick in trade they should have targeted someone with more value than Scobee. Jacksonville already had a young leg in camp that was pushing him. His accuracy the previous two seasons had been tailing.