1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin butchered clock management

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by numbah58, Nov 1, 2015.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been a staunch supporter of Coach Tomlin but the clock management outside of 2 minutes was atrocious. If he uses 2 of his timeouts before the 2 minute warning we would've had at least 1 more play, probably 2... Pathetic..

2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Throwing in the middle of the field didn't help either

3. Steelerfreak

Steelerfreak New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I think Tomlin and Ben have the most impressive clock mismanagement resumes in the NFL today.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    can we just hire a 15 year old kid who plays madden all week to call in the correct TO calls into Tomlin's headset?

5. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    That's funny cause my teenager was yelling "why are we not calling TO!" The world will never know.

6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

Tomlin lets his coordinators call the game. Tomlin does two things... Clock management and challenges. He can't seem to handle either

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Eagles already did.

8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Has the media ever asked him about it? That's an honest question. Not rhetorical. I mean if we can all see it then you KNOW he has to. RIght?!

9. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Only thing that separated L. Jones and Ben today was their names

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hanging onto the timeouts opens up the entire field as a opposed to just the sidelines

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    17 points, Ben! That's all the defense asked you for. They played their tails off today and you couldn't give them 17 points? Especially after that first drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    SURPRISE!! lol

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben was rusty, it was to be expected but that interception was on Williams, he has to go get that ball, not fall away from it, if he does that, the defender cant jump in front.

I blame Haley, what the hell was that game plan??? Our gimpy QB hasnt played in a month so lets play BA ball. Im sick of Haley trying to outsmart everyone, I hope some other team does lure him away with a HC job.

I'm almost done with Tomlin too, his bad clock management hurts us time and again and then today he accpets a 5 yard penalty when there was a 4 yard loss on the play. Gee, I wonder which is better, 1st and 15 or 2nd and 14.

Haley, Tomlin and half the players on this team do the stupidest things.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's because the Bengals were taking away the deep balls, using double coverage on AB and Bryant. The middle of the field was open that's why Heath caught all of those passes.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So you agree with my reasoning in the IQ thread?

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Is this what Tomlin has said are his reasons? I'm honestly curious. I can see your point but I'm curious if this is his reasoning or yours. Also though sometimes we just don't use our TO's wisely regardless of the situation.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt see it, Ill go read it.

18. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tomlin is a moron. Always has been. But, he will be there until he retires unfortunately. People will see if they haven't already how terrible of a coach he really is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, you won't often hear me defending Tomlin on game management, but on that penalty he didn't have a choice. It was a false start, and the play officially never happened. But... I agree generally about him consistently killing us with stupidity. We should't have been sitting on our timeouts before the 2 minute warning.

20. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Ben was doing stupid things long before Haley got here. He has never thrown the ball away when in trouble.

That wasn't Williams on the sideline INT on 2nd and 6. It was the FB Johnson. You really expect a 250 lb FB to stretch out like a WR? That ball should not gave been thrown late to a FB who had finished his route and who was being covered by a cb.

3 and 6 or a game changing INT that made it a 6 point game hmm tough call.

Some of Haley's calls are questionable as are those of any OC. He still directed the second best offense in the NFL last year.

Prior to Haley the offense consistently finished 10th-15th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin has always been a horrible game manager. It's nothing new. We've been seeing it every year when he flubs a game or two.

Why in the world don't you kick a Field goal of 51 yards when your new field goal kicker is hitting on a 100% of his FG tries and Extra points and they're all right down Broadway? Trade that for a net yard punt of 18.

He never uses his TO's wisely. Should have had at least 2 extra plays at teh end if he just calls time with 2:38 on the clock.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont recall that being a false start penalty, I thought it was a holding call. Even the announcers questioned why he accepted it. Not that announcers cant be wrong.

I meant Will, and yes, it was his fault, he didnt have to stretch out for Gods sake he just had to move towards it, would have hit him right in the bread basket but instead he was falling away from it.

The best thing Haley has done since he got here is have Ben get rid of the ball quickly and for some odd reason, today he chose to imitate BA ball. You think Ben was doing that on his own?

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley didn't imitate BA. Haley doesn't tell Ben which receiver to throw to. Haley draws up plays, which may very well have a guy running a deep route. That doesn't mean Ben needs to throw to that guy, especially if he's being doubled. If that's the case, which it was, that means there's some guys likely running shorter routes who are either uncovered or facing 1 on 1. So instead of throwing to Bryant who is being doubled, look for Brown who is 1 on 1, or heath who is uncovered, or Wheaton, or the RB, etc.

Don't blame Haley for drawing up a play that has a man running deep. Many plays have that, it's up to the QB to make the right decision.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. cjcdallas

cjcdallas Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Wouldn't be a big deal but this is like the 3rd game this year that this has happened. I am ready for something to change.

25. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm talking on the final drive ...'they were in a prevent we could have used the sidelines and got the same 10-15 yards they were giving us. Thus stopping the clock and leaving us more time to score.