1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Landry!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For the win and for vindicating your supporters here :lolol:

Good job kid, welcome to the pros :applaud: :steelflag:

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  3. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was all for Vick starting over Landry... It's the other way around now

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    LOLLandry no more! Good showing by him. Better than he ever did in the preseason.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The offense just seemed to come alive when he started.

One reason is obviously because suddenly the full playbook was in use.

Could another reason be - just perhaps, not at all sure on this - that Jones is more "their guy", rather than Vick?

Just thinking out loud.

Anyways, well done LJ. Granted, only half a game played, but did a lot to dispel the unwarranted negativity he attracts around here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I was totally against Landry in the preseason, but after much thought and seeing vick play, I wanted him in there for sure. After lookig back at the preseason, landry didn't get to play at all with the starters and many of those camp fodders dropped well thrown balls by him. I say let ben sit another week and let landry start. We need ben fully healthy.

7. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  8. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes sir. But I don't think I have ever been less surprised about an outcome. This will probably be the only time you will ever here me say, but "I TOLD YOU SO!!!", not to you you of course.

I believed with every ounce of my being that Jones can throw a stronger and more accurate pass. I saw just about every game for the Sooners since they are the only college team I follow closely.

Unfortunately this fiasco with Vick has left a very sour taste in mouth, especially for Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I picked on him quite a bit.

But I couldn't be happier for him or more proud of him today. He got his opportunity to show what he can really do, and he came through in spades.

Seemed a LOT more confident too. No deer in the headlights today.

I'd buy him a drink if I could. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was actually happy when they drafted him, but that deer in the headlights is the only thing that ever worried me about him. I don't how many third and long situations he would just blow at OU. I also never felt he was very clutch, but with team he doesn't need to do that. Just get the ball to your playmakers, let them do the work for you....just like today.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd agree with that I know a couple of times where it looked like Foster didn't give his all in protecting Vick.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Jones just gets rid of the ball quicker. Bang bang balls out. Maybe it's that trust thingy that was discussed in another thread?

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I lost the feed for the big TD play but just watched it on NFL.com and Troy Aikman said it right on the clip a simple slant route, Jones could throw it and Vick can't end of story for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sorry for doubting you Landry :applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The hot read to Heath was a thing of absolute beauty. That was a drive extender and we need our backups to make those exact throws. The key to winning with a backup is death by a thousand papercuts and as long as we keep making those little plays like that we can be fine until Ben gets back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I asked this question in the gameday thread, but how many of us believe that Landry Jones could be the heir apparent to Ben?

I don't want to overreact to his strong performance today, but I've always believed if you surround him with some good weapons that he's smart enough and has a strong enough arm to be an effective quarterback in this league. Many of us (looking at you @Myronwemissyinz) have judged him through the prism of how he's looked playing with scrubs and practice squad wannabes.

I'm more optimistic about the post Ben era and our backup quarterback situation as it stands with Landry asserting himself today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They just said on Cooler Talk that the players were saying on Friday that Landry had literally just had the worst practice of his whole career. Then comes out and does this. Man that's really something and I'm extremely proud of him and I've been SUPER hard on him.

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It was Brady-esque! ;)

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If anything we've at least found a serviceable backup that we already have on the roster and that in and of itself is a huge blessing for this team in particular.

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    EASY! You'll make enemies around here with that talk. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you had to look at his preseason play and say ok I see the progress he is making now can I see him run the first team and see how he does with a non vanilla game plan. given the performance today against a very good defense he showed he can play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I guess he is not sleeping during meetings lol

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok... He did a nice job in relief, and I think he established that he's a better option than Vick. Talking about him as heir apparent to Ben seems a bit premature to me. Let's see how he does starting against KC next week.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Vick looked simply pitiful. Landry's got the job if Ben doesn't come back next week. Nice job!

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The headline scrolling at the bottom of the screen on CBS is "Landry Jones leads Steelers over Cardinals". Did anybody see that coming? Love it!

• Like Like x 2