1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameball after W @SD

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Vick

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Bell

58 vote(s)
    77.3%
  3. Wheaton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Heyward-Bey

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. H Miller

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Blake

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Boswell

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. J Jones

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. Dupree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Berry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You forgot to mention that SDPOW is sponsored by "Super Colon Blow". :bscow:

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point, well made.

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bell for sure, but I'll give an honorable mention to Roosevelt Nix. He crushed his guy on that last play too. He had some great blocks from the backfield when he was back there. Nice play on STs as well. I kind of questioned why he was on the 53 with Will J. but he showed some very good things last night imo. Gotta love it when the guys not usually in the spotlight have big plays.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Still, two FG's and a TD for a crew that was on the field the bulk of the second half (let alone the game itself) ain't bad.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Ask Dallas how their back up QB situation is... Ask the Bears how Jimmy Clausen worked out for them. McCown in New Orleans? The truth of the matter is that Hasselbeck and Vick are the only ones that have won a game. There's a reason why they are back ups... They aren't good enough to start week in and week out.

No I don't prefer style points. I prefer wins, and if Scobee could kick, or our coaches play call a little differently, Vick would be 2-0.

A Vick led offense scored TD's on the final two drives of the game to win. He overcame adversity (or just a sh*tty 3 quarters of football), put it behind him, and won the game. I'm not saying he's the best back up in the league, but he deserves a lot of props for what he did. If we had any other back up in the league under that situation we leave San Diego 2-3.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here I am finding myself in another rare moment of totally disagreeing with you :confused:

I dont know how Vick deserves props. If he didnt play like poop for nearly the entire game, his late game heroics wouldnt have been needed.

Sorry, but he played like crap, he doesnt get a cookie for making a few plays. He needs to play much better than that. And if the Chargers DB's didnt go to the school of Ike, the game wouldnt have even been close.

Very lucky they arent 0-2 with Vick right now. :poopy:

9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He deserves props for putting 3 quarters of bad ball behind him and making plays when we needed him the most. We scored TD's on the final two possessions of the game and won. There are starters in this league who can't do that (some of those guys get paid huge money too).

Yes he does get a cookie lol we won the game. He threw a 75 yard TD pass then proceeded to lead the team down the field with a really good ball to DHB, a scramble for 25 yards and a beautiful ball to Miller to get us inside the one and set up Bell for the GW TD. We needed him to make plays and he did. When the lights were the brightest he was money.

Does that make him a superstar? No. Does it make him the best back up QB ever? No.... But I find it hard to believe that some people still won't give him props where they are deserved. He earned it.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Oh, and Blast... I'm glad we disagree. You are a very passionate debater. I enjoy the banter haha

11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    In reference to the bolded.. huh? By your own admission he isn't the best back up in the league, but any other would have lead us to a loss? I disagree, even if you're just focusing on the 4th quarter TD drives. If not, I strongly argue that a lot of backups could have guided a more even-handed offense the first three quarters, thus negating the need for the late game comeback.

Certainly, I give Vick props for the plays he made. But that doesn't justify his being a good option as our #2; his reads and accuracy are erratic, and have been most of his career. As I said in the game thread, someone needs to answer for why a 4th round selection was used on Landry Jones three years ago, yet we still cannot trust him to play safe-keeper for a few games. Why is still on the roster?

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont agree, he played terrible for 58 minutes and did his job for 2 minutes. Thats unacceptable, even for a back up QB. And if he serves up those meatballs to Arizonas DB's, they will devour them. Yesterday was a count your blessings and get the heck out of doge game.

:duel:

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You said that he made "plays" and you can BARELY pluralize that word. Someone asked me today about the game and I said "Well Vick had about 30sec of good football and about 59:30 of bad". I'm glad we won but honestly we could have easily lost that game on some incredibly boneheaded throws. I, in no way, would want to keep Vick around when Grad gets back even IF they planned to cut Landry and keep him. I would rather have Landry than Vick and I'm a huge Landry detractor. Nothing personal against him. He can't help that he was moronically drafted but he still should be able to come in and play after a few years of watching. Still I think he ultimately has more upside than Vick.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Miller, because with the way he was hit could have fumbled the ball and would have been in trouble.

15. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I meant under the certain circumstances we were under, which was needing two TD's on the last two drives to win the game. What other back up QB could do that? I think that answer is close to zero. I'm not trying to justify the bad play leading up to those last two drives. I just think he is one of the few, if any, of the guys out there who had the stones to put all that behind him and get the W.

For as "bad" as he is, he has completed 64% of his passes and passed for a 85.8 QB rating as a Steeler. All with only one pick on a Hail Mary to end the half (sure there were some drops, but DB's drop balls all the time). So it's not all horrible... At least the numbers aren't.

At the end of the day, Vick is a one year stop-gap back up. I just feel the need to defend him because I think he takes some unnecessary shots on this board. I understand most of you hate him because of what he did, but he isn't the trash heap player you all make him out to be.

16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course he has more upside than Vick. Vick has almost no football left in him... This is more than likely his last year. Landry has more upside solely on the fact that he will be in the league next year and Vick may not be. I actually think Landry could end up being our back up next year and we bring in someone else to be the QB3. Or we just bring Gradkowski back for that.

But yeah, I realize Vick is a one deal with us. That's not what I'm advocating. I highly doubt we bring him back yet another year older. I was just defending the guy because I think he gets a raw deal on here because of who he is. I think he is better than what he has gotten credit for.

Be careful what we wish for with Grad though. If Vick has been so awful, then what should we expect from Grad? He has never completed more than 54 percent of his passes in a season (Vick 64 as a steeler), and has only once posted a season with over a 66 rating... Which was an 80.6 (Vick 85.8 as a steeler). I'm sure the lack of weapons has something to do with it, but there is a pretty big gap he would have to close between himself and Vick.

Just my opinion though. Hopefully Ben comes back soon and we don't have to worry about seeing anyone else take any snaps. I'm sure we can both agree that Ben is pretty good, right? Hahah

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Be careful with those swords Blast, you might cut yourself. Didn't your mother teach you not to play with knives? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Boy, oh boy, that is a tough one. I voted Blake for one reason:
    Down 3-7, having SD at our 46 and a rolling SD offense, which started the drive at their 5, they could have easily scored a TD, going up 3-14.
    By then we may have to force Vick to throw more passes and use less Bell runs.
    I think if that would have happend, game was over. Instead Blake made a crucial turnover and there was not a huge pressure on Rivers. This turned the game in our favor.

None the less Bell had a heck of a game. Give him credit, too.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If Vick played for the Raiders and Browns like Grad did, Id like to see his stats then :lolol:

I have no doubt that Grad would be playing much better than Vick if he was under center right now. I dont know how anyone that has watched Vick these past two games has come away with anything other than "wow, hes freaking awful".

20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He did... He played for the Jets last year, that's essentially the same to me haha

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Even the Jets are better than those two clubs :lolol:

But Vicks numbers are bolstered by his Atlanta/Eagle days, far more talent that Grad ever had to work with. Looking at Vick since 2011, I think youd agree that there is nothing good about his stats.

22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I think you're circling your agrument around a strawman. To your first point, the premse of needing two TD's late could quite easily have been avoided had the offense been run more smoothly for the first 3.5 quarters. I'm not laying the blame entirely on Vick for that, but I think had they plugged someone more familiar with the system, able to make a few better reads, and a few better throws, they would have at the very least kept the defense off the field a bit more so they weren't as gassed later, and possibly tallied a few more points along the way as well. Either way, they would not necessarily have needed to perform the 'heroics' involved.

As for the high completion rate, the offense has had to be dramatically adjusted for Vick since he's been with the club all of about 9 weeks. This includes a number of short and bubble routes which have greatly facilitated that number. The Chargers openly challenged Vick to beat them deep for nearly the whole game because they knew his infamiliarity, as well as his previous troubles with reads and accuracy. So there's more to the story than a simple completion rate stat. The reason for alarm at the drops isn't so much that they could have been INT's, but that the passes themselves were so off the mark.