1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameball after W @SD

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Vick

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Bell

58 vote(s)
    77.3%
  3. Wheaton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Heyward-Bey

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. H Miller

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Blake

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Boswell

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. J Jones

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. Dupree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Berry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Who deserves the gameball after the Wild Win @ SD?

Only 10 options. If you chose other, please elaborate.

And enjoy the W. The sky isn't falling after all!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Le'Veon deserves the game ball, but our defense should get one, too. Bless their hearts. They have to be exhausted.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Bell has been most of our offense sense Ben got hurt. Although he played better in the 4th quarter, I still think Vick left a lot of points off the board. You can't be afraid to throw down the field when the other team got 9 guys in the box. Even with the box so crowded, Bell was still getting it done. I say they should give Bell options to throw the ball outta the wildcat sometimes to keep defenses honest...

4. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Gotta go with Bell for me. Vick definitely made plays to keep us in it in the 4th, but Bell - aside from when SD crowded the box in the 3rd - made plays pretty much throughout, and answered the call with the game on the line. I'd argue that with Jones behind center that game might have gone much more smoothly and not required the 4th quarter heroics.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    There is no doubt it is Bell,

6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Good point. While not a great D, I've really been impressed at how they've stepped it up the past couple of weeks. At the beginning of the season we were talking about Ben having to lead us north of 30 pts/game to have a chance most weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Boswell? I mean....he made his dang kicks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bell is the obvious choice but I had to give my vote to JJ... i seemed to be in the thick of it tonight.

9. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Bell given the circumstances, but given his play with the game on the line, I say Vick has earned himself the #2 spot (for another week at least)

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Bell, hands down.

My feelings for Vick aside, I've never agreed with the stink-for-three-quarters-then-make-a-couple-good-plays-and-be-the-hero line of thinking. Vick's run was good, and his passes to Wheaton and Heath were good. That's three plays. He blew it throughout he rest of the game, and if he'd played decent ball (I don't mean playing like Ben, I just mean throwing catchable passes to the open receivers) we'd have won this game without drama, given how well our RB, OL, defense, and special teams were playing.

I saw the same thing when Terrell Owens caught the final TD against the Packers in the wild card game. If he hadn't stunk up the place the rest of the game, they wouldn't have needed that play. Owens sobbing and Vick's "Just an ex-con trying to make my daughter's birthday wish come true" "redemption" make for stories, and BOY does TV love a story. Hell, Vick's is damn near lifted from an episode of Futurama, written to skewer the fans out there that fall for that crap. In it, Bender takes up Robot Fighting, a rigged sport in which the most popular robot always wins. So to win the crowd, the first thing he says is, "I'm just an ex-con trying to go straight and get my kids back." He gets the cheers, and wins.

If you're talking about who was best for the team tonight, Vick isn't on the top half of the list. I have no idea how Landry would have done, but if you're telling me to get this win we needed Vick and all his magical capabilities Tomlin gushes about instead of any other aging fringe QB, you're telling me a lie.

Then again, the misrepresented success of individual players for manufactured stories is nothing new. It happens all the time. I wrote a thread awhile back about NFL Network literally re-writing SB 45 to make it look like a certain play happened a certain way, by editing footage and playing an announcer's call from a different play. I guess this one just gets under my skin a little extra. God I hate people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rivers for losing his mind!

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  14. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    With these options...Heath held on to that clutch catch on the goal line with the illegal hit to give us the chance to steal it PLUS all his blocking opening up key holes. HEATH

BUT-My vote has to be-Game Ball Defense!

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I voted Bell. He was a beast against 8 and 9 in the box all game. He's an absolute stud (Columbus represent!!) Honorable mentions to the DLine (Tuitt and Heyward) for stuffing the run and getting pressure, Blake for the pick 6, and JJ (sack and a FF).

I tend to agree with you Snack about Vick. He was bad for 3 quarters, then played great in the 4th. Definitely doesn't deserve the game ball. However, he did win me over a little bit more with that comeback (I guess I count as a Vick supporter). gotta give the guy props for the comeback. There aren't many (if any) backups in the league that could pull that 180 in the 4th quarter and help lead the team to victory.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well first, I disagree. Second, does that mean you prefer style points?

The way he played through three quarters, most backups in the league wouldn't have had to make a comeback, because they'd be ahead. The way our team played tonight, it took a bad performance from the QB to dig us into that hole. The question isn't, "How many backups could have led us to a TD with 3 minutes left?" It's, "How many backups could have beaten the Chargers tonight, considering the way our RBs, WRs, TEs, OL, defense, and special teams played?" My answer is, "Almost all of them."

TV would have you believe he's some kind of miracle. Please. They're reading the script they wrote the minute we signed him and have been dying to say out loud. It's like how news stations have obituaries prepared for old people, except more pointless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This. LOL What a crybaby.

But Bell for sure. And although I'm happy as a clam that we got the W, some serious eyebrow raising for a 2nd straight week about the questionable playcalling. You could say it was gutsy to do that at the end for sure. But common sense says you kick the FG and try to win it in OT. We'd all be singing a different tune right now if Bell had been stuffed and we lost (absolutely no time left on the clock to call a TO).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I really don't think ST played that great though honestly because didn't they have like 4 penalties? We did have good field position a lot though and then would squander it because we have a totally 1b qb. Vick had a couple of good plays and I'm glad but I'm hardly optimistic about him going forward. He has no brain for football. I don't see how he can't audible when he sees 47 defenders in the box. I don't see how he can keep making throws to the sidelines with a corner closing and staring guys down the whole time. Play like that against Seattle or AZ will get us stomped so bad we might as well just stay on the bus. We still desperately need Ben and a few good SECONDS (literally) of Vick are not gonna change my mind on that.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    True about the ST penalties. One wiped out that big return. The punting was mostly awesome though, we made a long field goal (big news in these parts), and the coverage was good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah they punting was good and dude....Boswell looked alright too! I know those kicks were a little close to the uprights but they were at least on the good side of them. I honestly think if we'd have had Boswell from the start we'd have a better record right now.

21. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Wow, what a game. With a backup QB, I don't take any game for granted. Ask Dallas.
    I voted for Bell, because...come on, he was Hercules tonight. 8 or 9 man fronts, wildcat formations...he delivered. I truly believe we are witnessing something amazing with him. He is the best all around RB in the league at this point, and I think #2 is a distant second.
    Vick was who I thought he was gonna be. I felt he regressed from last week, even with the extra practice. Sure, he was on the road...on the west coast against a suspect defense. Sure, he stunk for 3 quarters. But on the two drives they absolutely needed something, he delivered.
    When he scrambled for the first down on the last drive I thought, "Welp...here comes the FG and OT." I can't remember the last time the Steelers drove down the field on the last possession of the game and scored a late TD when trailing by 3 points.
    I am waiting with baited breath for Ben to return. I hope this team can post a few more Ws in the meantime.
    This is a great win and we should enjoy it.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Didn't see anyone mention the all important player who helped out on several occasions and rattered Rivers at key times - The 12th Man - Steeler fans screaming their friggin heads off at the Murph! They had to be exhausted and completely spent at games end. Way to go. Sorry I couldn't join you - first game I've missed at SD in about 40 years. :clapping:

• Like Like x 3
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    other. and that other was dave decastro on the bell TD. that boy got parts of 3 guys that could have stopped bell on that play. other than that tough game. we looked bad except for a few big splash plays. we won't be up against beat up o-lines like that very often. we have many holes on defense and the offense was mostly putrid. very lucky we got a win tonight, but i'll take it. pulled one out of our arses tonight.:cool:

24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Blake with the pick six. Defense really stepped up tonight. SD has a good offense. The D kept them in the game. Take away some penalties and they would have given up less points. Don't forget, credit to their kicker for a 54 yard field goal. I thought they would punt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1