1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why no love for Coach T???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by slickster10, Sep 20, 2015.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    FACEPALM

2. grayghost668

grayghost668 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015

you like him you can have him,,,, no where is it written that as a Steeler fan I have to like the coach

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I judge my head coach by how many playoff wins he has. Last 5 years don't look so good. If we didn't have a HOF QB I'd have less issue with our playoff record the past 5 years. Problem is we do. I don't think it's asking too much from a HC to win playoff games when you have a top 5 QB. Sure you might miss one here or there. But it's been a trend of late. Good coaches don't miss the playoffs with stud QB's. It just doesn't happen. Maybe a fluky season with injuries could cause this..but we don't have that excuse. So far my grade for Tomlin is a very generous C. Another season with out a playoff win and I'll be praying for his removal.

Beating a horrible 49er's team doesn't get me too excited. Sure it's nice to see us beat a team that's going to have a losing record. That's an accomplishment for Tomlin if you look at his recent record against bad teams.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Marino missed the playoffs 7 times, at one point 4 years in a row. Still a team sport no matter who your QB is, without the supporting cast, you're not going to win. They are restocking talent now and are starting to win again, its not a coincidence.

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    This was refreshing to see:

The Steelers got up on a team and didn't let them back in the game...a la Cleveland last season. That has happened too often in the Tomlin era. Not in this game.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    sucks to be you;)
    he'll be here for a
    looooooooooooooooooooooong
    loooooooooooooooooooooooong
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooong
    time

• Like Like x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Come up with something original instead that same dumb argument that fans that don't like Tomlin always use. The Rooney's don't feel that way they keep him around.

8. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Right. Because the Rooneys go through coaches so often?

A lot of "the Steelers are doing this so they are right and I am right because I agree with what they are doing" around here.

You're right in that the Cowher comparisons get old. Especially when Tomlin's recent playoff history is the biggest knock against him. Cowher isn't coming back and if he was the "New NFL" would not suit his style.

Tomlin controls his destiny. He does have a top 5 QB, and a very good front office behind him. He says every year that his job is to win Superbowls so...

Elway got rid of John Fox because he felt there wasn't enough fire when the Broncos lost. Fox was 38-10 in 3 years with Peyton but 2-2 in the playoffs. Tomlin was 27-21 and 0-1 in that span. (Fox also took team Tebow to the playoffs and even managed to beat...)

Sometimes it just depends on who your boss is. Marvin Lewis knows what I'm talking anout haha.

9. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Someone should start a poll. Tomlin is 43 now. How old will he be whrn he leaves the Steelers? 47? 52? 57? 60+?

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The thing with Tomlin is his players would run through a brick wall for him and that is what you want out of your head coaches. He is a motivator of men. He still hasn't had a losing season either and has brought this team back from the brink a couple of times. There's a reason why every time they take a who do you want to play for poll he always comes in at the top of the list. He's not Cowher and you are never going to see spit flying from his mouth as he is chewing a player out on the sidelines but that is not his style. Leaders come in many different forms and fashions. He may not be the most hands on coach in the league and he lets his coaches do their jobs but that is what they are there for.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    That's a good one but its hard to tell. I do think the job is his as long as he wants it. I fully expect the playoff losing streak will end this year. So when does he get tired of it? I thought Cowher would still be the head coach of the Steelers but with his wife's issues and his daughters going to school I fully see why he left. Hell 20 years from now we could still be arguing over Tomlin.

12. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014

Haha that would be amazing to still be arguing over Old Man Tomlin.

Tomlin does a really good job as the face of the Steelers. He also lets his coordinators have a lot of freedom versus some other coaches which I feel is a great sign of character. He has had some good input into personnel as well. I know Leveon was his guy all the way for one.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

But can he win on the road?

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

HAHHAA. Good one steelersrule6. There are only a handful of players now left from Cowhers reign. What will they say then ? haha

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    And Tomlins win was much sooner then Cowhers.

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't count Ben as a Cowher guy I count him as a Rooney and Colbert guy since Cowher didnt want Ben so who does that leave Miller?

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dang, trying to remember who Cowhers pick was going to be, I've seen it before. Anyone know?

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I seen it as well but it was a long time ago and I can't remember either.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought this was sarcastic at first. I'm still not sure.

I get the Cowher's players argument from a few years back, but seriously... the guy is in his 9th year.

By the by, the whole "Cowher's players" arguments seems quite specific to the Steelers. Presumably Browns fans don't argue that Pettine can only win with Romeo Crennel's players? (Or do they...?)

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sean Andrews, o-lineman. As I recall.

I seem to think he thought Rivers was the better QB, as well.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I just did some digging and you are correct thank you Dan Rooney for stepping in and saying he learned his lesson from passing on Marino.

22. grayghost668

Aug 29, 2015
    I don't need your permission to dislike the man <snip> of course there is always someone who thinks his opinion is the only one that matters,,,I guess your it here

I can deal with it as long as he doesn't put the team in the crapper,,,

<Mod edit, there's no need for that.>

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats right! Phew, yes, thank you Mr. Rooney :thumbs up:

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah her opinion is normally a pretty cool one and we all like her around her and her opinion around here.

25. grayghost668

Aug 29, 2015

kind of odd that a few of you think that just because he is the coach and so far he has not had a losing season that everyone should like the man,,,like I have said before I don't need anyone's premission to dislike him,,, HE IS THE COACH AND WILL BE UNLESS SOMETHING ,,,SUCH AS,, SEVERAL LOSING SEASONS IN A ROW OR HE DECIDES TO MOVE ON