1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know this was talked about in TWD thread but figured it warranted its own. Can't wait to watch this tonight!

• Like Like x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes! I'm really looking forward to this. Should be intense once it gets going.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been looking forward to it. I hope it stands up on its own right and isn't a "B Team" type show.

At least I know that Kim Dickens is usually good in everything.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats my fear too (see what I did there). Once the "outbreak" has been established, I don't know how they keep it from being TWD West Coast. But, people a heck of a lot more creative than me sit around all day thinking this **** up, hopefully they got something good.

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Not two bad of a episode i guess, it went prty much the way i thought it would go..

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Setup pilot. Also what I expected. Looking forward to where it goes from here.

That said:

Already hate the teenaged son. IDK if it's the actor or writing, but he sucks and can't die soon enough.

Edit: I just learned he is played by the son of Stephen Dillane (Game of Thrones' Stannis Baratheon). I didn't notice a resemblence.

Generic step father guy has a good actor but he's kinda bland. I hope to actually give a damn soon.

Kim Dickens is great. So don't waste her with making dumb decisions.

Teenaged daughter is cute. Don't care other than that. Actually pretty annoying.

When TWD premiered, you immediately connected to Rick and Morgan. At least I did. No connection with these characters.

On a lighter note, I nominate Gloria for hottest walker ever. ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I liked it for the most part. In reality, I think this thing would have exploded much quicker, don't think it would be spreading this slowly but I get it, have a season to fill. They should have done more to give you the impression something was wrong, they did the missing person posters, the weird kid with the knife but should have been news reports of missing people on the rise, things of that nature.

I don't have a problem with the cast, think they all did a good job, I didn't like Carl at first in TWD either so maybe the son in this one will grow on me too. The stepfathers real son is the one who can't get eaten fast enough IMO, and he only had a very short scene :lolol:

Hope the daughter sticks around and I second the nomination of Gloria as the hottest walker ever.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It was about what I expected in terms of a setup pilot. The more the son was in a scene, the more I thought of Edward Scissorhands and Fear and Loathing. Not sure why. :hmm:

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I can see that. He definitely has a more Johnny Depp like appearance than his actual father.

In fairness, her only competition is Andrea's little sister. The field isn't exactly a large one. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    The guy the junkie son killed, was HE the daughters BF ?

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. I don't believe so. But the BF is probably walker food either way.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought it was. The way they were talking about him (by name) and the parents knew his car by sight. They also went to help him. I knew the black guy was going to get it pretty quick. As soon as I saw him and the daughter I told the wife that he's not long for this show......

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I would have to rewatch it. But they didn't look the same to me.

I just assumed the parents knew him by name because he was a "friend" of their son.

If he WAS the boyfriend, that's going to really make things angsty between brother and sister. Ugh...

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It wasn't the same guy. The boyfriend's name was Matt. The "friend's" name was Cam or something like that. I thought the same thing, @Ray D. They just knew him because he was a friend of the son's, presumably before he became an addict.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ahh, got it. Couldn't re-watch it as we don't have DVR on the AFN satellite feed. Thanks for the correction!

• Like Like x 1
  16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I liked it. The slow burn. I liked the Mom from Deadwood and the Dad from Training Day. Think it will be good. Hopefully get me past the stench of True Detective Season 2.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I finally got a chance to watch episode 1 last night. I was a bit underwhelmed, but TWD has certainly set a high bar for comparison. This is my wife's first experience with the WD franchise, and she seemed to like it enough to be interested in episode 2. However, I think it's going to have to ramp up to draw her in beyond that.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was a bit underwhelmed too, but understand where they're going. What I don't get is that if everyone is already infected with the virus, you would have to imagine this thing is spreading QUICK. You mean to tell me hardly anyone dies in LA on a day to day basis? all you would need is one or two dead people and it will hit the fan.
    I would have prefered more of a slow burn, I think.
    And yes, I can't stand the junkie son either.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I think LA averages something like 150 deaths per day. I'm not sure if that's just the city or LA county.

Let's say even 25 of them are from brain destroying events (aneurysm, stroke, shooting, other trauma), that still leaves an awful lot of potential walkers spreading rather quickly. Easily 1000 within 7-10 days. Yes, they'll bite/kill/turn others as they spread. Yes, many will be killed even accidentally by police or someone else as they attack. But I still think 1000 in the first week is a conservative estimate.

After the first week? It should start spreading exponentially.

But...

Perhaps not everyone is infected... yet. Maybe even the "infection" is just beginning. Remember all of those corpses stuck in cars on the freeway outside Atlanta in TWD season 1? Why didn't they turn? One theory is that the heat from being inside the cars cooked the brains. Robert Kirkman said it wasn't a mistake and there was a reason (although he declined to say what it was). Either the cooked brain theory is right, or maybe, just maybe, they died before everyone was infected.

Also keep in mind that we only really saw 1-2 days. And it's just beginning. I expect things to ramp up to biblical levels quickly.

20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Well i decided ,, i dont like the Travis guy,, he is kinda weak (IMO) to be in a leading role.. the junkie kid dont bother me, the kid with the acne , i like him was hopeing he would be a bigger prt of the sho......... LOL he sure was wrryd about his knife, that he broke into the school and got it .. lol

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm liking it, I had a little issue with the pace of things falling apart but you have to remember, this has taken place in 2 days so far.

Heres a good little interview with producer Dave Erickson. Cool little tidbit in there that I didn't pick up on in the first episode when the old guy flatlined in the hospital next to Nick.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-boss-defends-818622 (there are no spoilers past episode 2)

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I enjoyed it. I thought the daughter was going to get her face chewed off, but fortunately the brother started foaming from the mouth.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Junkie brother is growing on me. I half suspect his seizure was staged to force her to stay.

Alicia is gorgeous but still is coming off rather cold to me which makes it hard to like her. But she did soften just a bit with both her boyfriend and when she thought her brother was in peril. I'm not writing her off yet. (Is it just me, or does she bear a strong resemblence to Emilia Clark from GoT?)

I really liked Kim Dickens this time around. They gave her a chance to shine a bit.

Love the pudgy nerd. I hope it's not the last time we see him. Right now, he might be the smartest person in LA. Not many people would figure to loot a school first since there would be no competition.

The dad does seem a tad weak or passive to me. But maybe he's just confused and stunned. I'll wait to see if he grows.

Things are ramping up nicely. Maybe not quite as fast as we'd expect. But then again, we're seeing it through the protagonists' eyes. It could be already worse than it seems.

Love Ruben Blades as an actor. I hope he sticks around a while.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Only thing really bothering me about Alicia is the damn ear plugs, who the heck listens to that much music! :lolol:

Maddy deserved to have her face chewed off, are you kidding me? After the encounter with Calvin? Really???

According to the link I posted, Ruben Blades and his family play a big role.

Cliff Curtis (Travis) has some tough guy credits to his name, I suspect you will see him transform into that as it progresses.

I think Tobias will stick around for a bit.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't have teenaged daughters, eh? ;)

I thought mine were born with wires coming out of their ears.