1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison Wants His Kids To Earn Trophies

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 16, 2015.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    what ever happened to ribbons?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I love Simon Pegg

3. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    ooops

is that Seth Green?
    :hmm:
    ;)

4. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

might I add

I think I have a good idea on how one of his kids would act about said dog's death

:shrug::dancing:

5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Im prty sure in Marino has won a few trophies,, and not just for participating in something

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I just want my kids to look at something and say OK that's the best I ever did that now how do I do it better. I'm sorry but when my oldest completes his goals in aerospace engineering he will look back and be thankful that I told him great job now how can you do it better. I'm giving him the tools to be extremely successful and the will to put in the necessary work to get there. I'm his father and my goal is for him to be successful and a good person. His teachers are amazed by the way he treats his fellow students. Sorry I'm not of this new age thinking of everything is wonderful and you are entitled to everything bull****. Life is hard and these kids aren't prepared for it. Life hands you nothing so why should we hand our kids everything? So you can question my methods all you want but when my kids grow up and go on to do everything they want in life I will sit back and smile knowing I did what I needed to do as their father.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    MOJO RISIN

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I am on the fence with this one. I see both sides of the argument. I agree with what Shaner says here: 'Telling them that they're never good enough unless they're the best, which is unrealistic in almost every case. Let kids be kids and let them enjoy sports without feeling the need to be the best."

Our culture of "competition" tends to lead us down the wrong path: cheating, lying, stealing...doing anything to win. Notice this in new England, where there is no such thing as integrity,

At the same time, it is a cruel world. So do we teach kids to develop a thick skin, or do we teach them something different: that to change our cultural values, we need to change our outlook.

I think my only problem with these "participation trophies" (as shown here) is that they are generic and simply handed out for...well, the sake of handing them out. When I was in Little league, there was a happy medium. We didn't get trophies; we got little plaques that were personalized to show what we did for the team. "Highest batting Avg," "Best Fielding Pct.," "Charlie Hustle Award," "Best encouraging teammate," etc. The emphasis was on something we did. It had nothing to do with winning, merely demonstrating our contributions, even on a team that stunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm confused. I get that's a line from a Doors song, but what does that have to do with Marino?

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. Honestly, I thought participation awards had no value. I agree with Shaner's original point that JH's methods may be setting them up for 'a boom or bust' life. I agree with you though, when I was younger, the 'participation awards' were at least personalized to reflect a player's attributes, even if it was 'good hustle' or 'stays positive'.

11. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012

Jim's exposure was in Miami

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I also tend to think that kids can see straight through an award that's too generic. You'd like to think Harrison's kids know the difference between a participation trophy and a superbowl ring, for example. But like I say, there's a whole load of context and variables for these things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    and they do look a like

14. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    you realize american kids are stupid and fat

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    oops
    i meant Dan and Jim

16. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    If these are participation trophies, and they competed, then they earned it.
    (I'm not going to tell someone they didn't earn their marathon run participation medal, just because they couldn't keep up with a pro from Kenya.)
    Should not be returning them, unless his kids never showed up.

If he wants to explain to them that placing trophies are on a completely different level than participation trophies, that's something else.
    But JH seems to be the one acting like all trophies are the same.

17. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I am kinda on the fence about them too, having 2 young kids myself. On the surface, participation trophies don't really mean anything, I agree with that. However I have found one MAJOR benefit in the case of my kids. My 7 year old daughter, who is the more athletically gifted of the two is the one always on the fence and dragging her feet about going out for tee ball each year and we have to stay on her to go out and stick with it and she does very well. I believe that getting that participation trophy has been a deciding factor that has motivated her to keep going and playing tee ball the last two years. As she gets older hopefully she will find that motivation elsewhere but for now, that benefit alone is well worth it.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree with what he says. I'm sure he explained it better than what was posted. My old man always said did you give it your best? If so then good... Nothing to hang your head about.

Problem is in our society the wedges are driven a bit different than back in the day. Kids are awarded just for being present and not doing squat which sort of nullifies any participation at all. They're not taught to strive in whatever field... They're taught some BS ideology of fairness and unfairness and awarded excuse after excuse.

I don't think James is approaching his boys nor snubbing his boys with the notion that pro athletes don't accept such accolades. He knows they're kids! He's teaching them a life lesson of busting ones hump and being rewarded, not being given something just for being in the area at the time.

My girls play sports, the damn org doesn't keep score or stats... Infuriates me! Even kids need to know not everyone wins all the time and that's when good parenting comes in to explain the jots and tittles of life outside of the PC and warm fuzziness that seems to have overtaken real life in their schools, shows, after school programs etc... It's maddening and explains why there has been such a drop off in countless categories generation to generation!

Good job 92!!!

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    can't wait for the games

when its
    gold silver or bronze

hey kid
    here's a penny ran over by a train
    wear this around your neck ,you..............

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    When I was growing up, my dad was an all-star little league and pony league coach. My oldest brother was an all star pitcher and my other brother was an all-star 2nd baseman. Me? I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a f.....g boat and couldn't catch cold. In the mid 60s in No. CA. (of course), if you were in little league, the rules stated that everyone that wanted to could be on the team and everyone got a chance to hit whether they played defense or not. I don't remember if we got participation awards or not. I was on one of those teams even though I didn't (and don't) like baseball.
    My dad quit coaching a game he loved and did well at coaching because of the "everyone's a winner" rule changes.
    IMO, you do a disservice to kids who aren't good or don't like the game by telling them they're "winners" just by participating. If they grow up believing that, they're in for a rude awakening when they get older and find out that we're not all created equal. If we were, we'd all play for the Steelers!

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I get a participation trophy at work every two weeks (aka, a paycheck). Now if I could just talk them into giving some oreos and juice box ... :hmm:

22. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

:this!:I'm pretty much inline with your thinkin' dobbler! When I played little league back in the 60's only the winners got trophy's, and I wasn't a winner! It sure didn't scar me 'cause I sucked at it! Hell I'm 60 now and I STILL don't know if I'm good at anything:lolol: OH! What was cool our little league field (right field)was right outside the left field wall of Forbes Field. One day the Pirates were playing and someone hit a homer over the left field wall landed in front of me in right field and I thought it came from the batter and picked it up and threw it home! OOPS! (Sorry got carried away for a sec.) Good for you 92!

• Like Like x 1
  23. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I like the way you think James.

24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw this on theblaze.com today and I was reminded again of just how much I love this man! I'm sick of these "sports" leagues for kids that don't even keep score. This year was Ben's first year to play tee ball and I would only let him play in a league that keeps score. He honestly didn't care too much about it since he's only 4 but I would get him in the yard every day and practice with him every day and the next game he got "Most Improved Player" and by the end of the season he was playing a lot better and getting runs and rbi's. He got a trophy at the end and he loves that thing. I want him to learn competition and that if he works hard he can have the things he wants if he's willing to sacrifice to earn them. Good job James . You're a Steeler through and through. No handouts. Just hard work and self reliance. We need more of that.

25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it has to do with his signature. Actually, when Jim said that it was his alter ego and if you rearrange the letters in it it spells Jim Morrison.