1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Harrison Wants His Kids To Earn Trophies

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 16, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I saw this yesterday, and didn't think it was news worthy, but it seems to be getting a lot of play today. Here's what James Harrison has to say about his sons getting "participation trophies".

I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I saw it on facebook this morning. I have to say I agree but since I was raised in that time where if you didn't place you didn't get squat. Although I do see the need to not squash every child's hopes and dreams there should also be a line for not blowing smoke up their rears either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I saw this in the twitter section on this site

all I can say is:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

tough love

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good for him!! Make them give back the juice boxes too!

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have two trains of thoughts on this subject.

1. I agree with his principle of not believing in participation trophies. I grew up in a time when participation trophies weren't handed out. You either won a trophy or you didn't.

But...

2. He's almost turning his kids into martyrs in a way. There's ways of expressing his beliefs without taking away the trophies given to his kids. He can explain to them that although the trophies are nice and all, when it comes to sports, there needs to be a balance between having fun and winning. Simlpy participating isn't good enough. With that said, what pisses me off a little isn't that he took the trophies away. That's really not a big deal and although I disagree, I can understand it. His statement about your best not being good enough is downright insulting. Not everyone can make it into the NFL. Not everyone is good enough to earn trophies in competitive sports. If his kids tried their hardest but came up short, that's perfectly okay. He's sending the wrong message. All you can do is your best. It sounds like he's setting his kids up for a boom or bust life. Either they'll make it big, or they'll be failures, there's no in between.

6. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    good points

I'd also like to add that this can be applied to parents of kids who are STEELERFANS
    it's either boom or bust
    and also the fact that the kids better be STEELERFANS
    most of the time

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have a point Shaner but lets remember that he may not be expressing his thoughts and beliefs in the best way possible given the limitations of the medium. That character limit can really hamstring you when you are trying to convey the subtleties of your personal thoughts. He may actually have something more in line with what you are getting at.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sorry but in the sports world your best really is never good enough and that's how you get better. That's what drives you to get better. If these guys or really to me anyone thinks what they are doing is good enough then they aren't trying to get better. I don't know that's just the way I look at it.

9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe, but I can only comment on what he says, not what he might be thinking. I just didn't like his comment and I think that type of attitude can be damaging to kids. Yes, it's a cut throat world out there, but let kids be kids. There's no reason to expose them to it right away. That doesn't mean they should get trophies for doing nothing, but there's a happy medium in there somewhere.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    JH has a point, joining up for sports in his mind is no great feat and not worthy of an award, but on the other hand if his kids are proud of the award and it encourages them to stride for bigger and better goals I don't see where any harm has been done, obviously his kids are aware he is a strict parent and don't want to get on his bad side.....

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    But we're talking about kids, not pro athletes. There's a huge difference.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's not different. He is teaching these kids to always strive to get better. Say you best isnt good enough is basically saying never be satisfied. You can teach a lot with youth sports and instill a lot of values with it for everyday life. My one kid is so fricking smart it scary but he is always pushing himself to learn more and do more. So I'm sorry but if you accept that your best is good enough you're never going to get better.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  13. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    wonder what James would say to his kids if they performed bad after their dog died?
    just asking because it kind of is related to the Jesse James thread (that it became).

It really shows that there are infinite variables in life and there are very few truefacts about it.

what I feel is

TTF gave us all a house to come and live in and even though we are here as STEELERFANS we will not always get along or agree on all aspects of the multitude of discussions we have here or the way these discussions are presented

as long as they fall within the house rules TTF established

now for some reason
    I want to go listen to a block of music by
    Corrosion of Conformity

14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I Don't believe in participation trophies either... That being said, didn't Deuce Stayley get a SB trophie/ ring for not doing nothing..;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    So, in other words, Dan Marino needs to throw his HOF bust in the trash. He wasn't a winner.

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    well if he is okay with it then so be it

but if it was me and I was an nfl qb who never won a super bowl which is the ultimate goal I think I would have it in a storage unit atleast if not at my next auction for people who think it is worth more than I . At least it is beneficial

17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    I wouldn't brag about it

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Nothing more informative than when a pro sportsman decides to pontificate on developmental pedagogy.

Wait, no...

I'm fairly sure I'll be in the minority here for thinking that maybe - just maybe - there's a range of contextual factors at work with these kind of things that teaching professionals and educational psychologists have theorised, researched and developed over a long period of time. So maybe - just maybe - James could engage with some of that? Better yet, ask the school what it's all about, what the idea is based on, how they see it fitting into their wider development?

Probably too much to ask. FWIW, I don't really have a view whether giving kids trophies for whatever is a good thing or not, so I'm not looking for a debate on it. I just get fed up with the way these kind of things get reduced to sporting clichés that are too clichéd to even be used in sport anymore.

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    you're british we don't care ferner

20. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I need a King George emoticon or something.

21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Henry the 8th would work:eek:

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I just think that's a sad way of raising kids. Telling them that they're never good enough unless they're the best, which is unrealistic in almost every case. Let kids be kids and let them enjoy sports without feeling the need to be the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    you do not win you do not get a trophy

one must consider if life is a competition

I'm guilty of being too competitive and it usually ends up involving gambling

so that's my blue ribbon trophy
    money in the purse
    to buy a new purse

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Henry says

Damian-Lewis-as-King-Henry-VIII-in-Wolf-Hall.jpg

nobody competes with him.

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    My son is 7 and has been playing baseball for 3 years now. He has 5 trophies, 3 of which are participation trophies and 2 are Championship game trophies. He is proud of all of them and I wouldn't want anyone to take that enthusiasm he gets when showing all of them off away from him at that age. As he grows older, I would like to see him earn these trophies just like I expect him to begin earning his way thru life by making sound decisions. I feel participation trophies are important at an early stage of life but with time can be very harmful if it continues beyond the age of 10.