1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Way Up in the 2nd?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HugeSnack, May 1, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So there was some report (grain of salt grain of salt) that the Steelers are trying to trade up right now to take the first pick in the 2nd round. That's a 23 pick move, which would cost at least our 3rd round pick. Here are my thoughts:

- My gut instinct says I don't want to do it, because there's good value in rounds 2/3, and I don't want to lose an entire player. I think we could get two quality CBs in our current spots, or one quality CB in the 2nd and a quality player at some other position in the 3rd. Would you sacrifice our 3rd to get the #33 pick?

- Trading just a few spots up (say, by using our 5th rounder) wouldn't be so bad, if a guy we like is sliding. But that's not the report.

- Who could it be for? Eric Rowe is the first name that springs to mind. There are some other talented players at positions that aren't big needs for us. While I could see the Steelers taking a guy like that if he fell to them, I don't see them trading up for it. If they really like Rowe, maybe they pull the trigger. No one else seems like they're worth it - there are guys at positions we don't need so much like Collins, red flag guys like Collins, and guys at a position we need, but are not sure things, like Collins. You only make this trade for a safe bet at a position of need that you feel is a steal at that pick. Anyone have a name that fits that description besides Rowe?

- Could it be they'd trade next year's 1st rounder for #33 straight up? That way we'd still have all our picks and would actually have 3 picks between #33 and #87, which is the period I just said has a lot of value. Of course, we lose a 1st rounder next year. We've never made that trade since I've been around, but we're in win-now mode, and #33 is the highest 2nd rounder there is, so assuming our pick next year is in the mid-20s, it's only giving up maybe 8 spots. It's possible, and as far as future-type trades go, it's not so bad.

- This is NOT our MO, but maybe that's why they'd do it. They know as well as we know that the way they draft CBs hasn't been working. Maybe they want to roll the dice with something new, like a high draft pick they feel is a slam dunk. Maybe that was the plan in round 1, but Dupree spoiled everything (in a good way).

What do y'all think about this?

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    best guess would be one of the tackles left. Collins or clemmings. selfishly I would want landon Collins in the second and d'juan smith in the third.

I wouldn't care to give up 1st next year but wonder if we could pick up a 4th or 5th in that kind of deal?

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have trouble wanting to do a move of this magnitude, but I could see it happening.

First, more than we need players we need impact players. The way you get impact players is you get high ranked players on your team. Athletes, play-makers.

Second, I think the FO would NOT be considering this unless they see someone sitting there that they have a first round grade on, someone who slipped, but they don't think they make it very far based on other teams needs in the 2nd. In this case, maybe you do give up a 3rd in order to move up and get the guy they really want. My guess is it is a guy they had targeted for the #1 spot who is still sitting out there. There was a ton of buzz yesterday that it was Rowe we wanted in 1, but I don't know.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  5. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would hate to give up next year's 1st rounder for just about anyone that has dropped to the 2nd in what is really not a top heavy draft class. However, one remaining player that I (and just about everyone else) do think is a legit top-tier 1st round prospect is Lael Collins. Let's say hypothetically that the team has received enough information that they think it's 99.9% likely that he be fully cleared soon. At that point you've got a guy who could have been a top 10 pick for a future #1. If you trade a future 1st to get him, you have him now, in your own system to develop instead of taking a guy next year who still has to transition from college to the pro game. This is the one guy remaining that I would be OK giving up our 2016 1st rounder to acquire IF he's clearly on the path to full exoneration.

I'd hate to make that move for anyone else.

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Supposedly Schefter said it was Maxx Williams. I can't even begin to tell you the many ways that would freak me out.

No to Strong, too. Let the BPA at positions you don't need come to you. Don't trade way up for them. That's crazy. Especially when there are guys that carry value at positions you're razor thin.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    They could be interested in SS Landon Collins, Rowe, or Oregon tackle Fisher too I guess. I am not in favor of losing our third plus more to be honest.

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Ah yes, the second Collins in my scenario. As you may have seen in my other posts, I am not too worried about that. If they've done their research, I trust them to make a call on La'el.

However, if it costs us a 3rd, there go all our plans for fixing the secondary. Then we have to hope somebody with a 3rd round grade falls to us in the 4th, and we have to hope that another mid-round CB is the answer, when it so clearly hasn't been so far.

How about this.... Tennessee knows our players pretty well, don't you think? A certain man named Dick LeBeau might be happy to give us a great deal on picks if we throw in a name like Jarvis Jones or Vince Williams. :eek:

10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    That's a great point I hadn't considered, Snack. :hmmm:

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    if we traded up to #33 and got max williams in the deal, then I wouldn't mind giving up pick #32 next yr.

12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Another good point I hadn't considered!

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

There is no supposedly to it, , i heard him say it 3 times.. als i heard mention ,was Landon Collens, ,and Rowe

15. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015

If they do, then it has to be because they feel Landon Collins has a 1st round grade. The Steelers had him into Pittsburgh for a visit, and the Safety class is very weak after Collins. So to them, they might think that getting what they feel is TWO 1st round players is worth giving up their 3rd rounder. I guess we shall see.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Stay right where we are please.

17. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
  18. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think there are still have enough CB's left to get one later....(would be nice to keep our 3rd round pick somehow)...but I really would like the pick be Landon Collins... dude hits and tackles better than any of the CB's left IMO... we don't NEED Max yet...and I've read he has some EGO issues...

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I know Schefter is wrong all the time, but how accurate is he in general? I mean, someone in the know must be telling him this stuff, right?

But I can't wrap my head around making that kind of move for a player like Williams. At the expense of our defense, too. What is it with Tomlin and overdrafting Minnesota tight ends??

If we take Williams, who isn't even great value in my opinion, and I believe in the opinion of most since he's going mid-2nd in most mocks, then to me that says we haven't changed our ways on drafting CBs, because we won't even have a chance until the 4th. And with our track record, I don't expect much any improvement.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    So? Shamarko Thomas may be unproven, but he can hit and tackle! And he can cover better than Collins to the point Shark has played CB. Collins, from what I've read, will have real struggles in coverage. Not what we need at any position except defensive line.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont put a lot of stock in schefter either,, ,and as far as moving that far it would cost to much, ,and i deff dont want to give a more than maby a 2 nxt year and a 5 and 7 this year,, , LOL

22. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
  23. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    We move up to a high 2nd as in the first couple picks it's to take Collins without a doubt. Now, how much do we give up is the question? Rowe will be there too, so it's a toss up IMO.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are not going to give up a 1. For a 2nd round pick? I can't see it unless they want to keep both 2nd's, give up the 3rd and a 5th this year and the 1st and possible 3rd or 4th next year.
    Collins? Their isn't enough concrete evidence to clear him yet. He wanted to go into the supplemental, the league wouldn't let him. He might not get drafted!

Landon Collins and Rowe if they can keep the two 2nd's. And what Snack said, give up Williams. Jarvis not so fast. Unless they think that Lemon can step in. Jarvis has had the misfortune of injury. And Thomas. Hope they can stay healthy.

25. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    However, I can't see us taking a TE at that spot if we traded up. No way, with all the DBs left