1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome To The Pittsburgh Steelers Bud Dupree!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    As soon as we went on the clock, I told the wife, watch em draft a linebacker, never one to dissapoint they pulled the trigger, not a bad choice with Dupree, he fits the mold of lamarr woodley , big size could be a DE at his size, but he will take some time to get acclimated to this defense, and there is a lot of talent left in this draft today maybe a 2nd round safety or corner or both will get drafted today unless they want to take another LB, Butler do love him some linebackers??????????

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Every year every team either says that they got the guy they wanted or some guy they never expected to last until their pick. Every single team. Every single year.

He's a top 10 physical talent ... but his production in college wasn't special. He never had more than 7.5 sacks in a season or more than 54 tackles, and that's good but not great. Hopefully better coaching can get better results out of him.

3. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

His speed means nothing without instincts, and the knock on this guy is that he hesitates too much..

4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Or he's trying to put his blocker off balance by hesitating. ( studer steps) Then he can pick it back up with his speed.

5. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I agree. But that shouldn't affect his pass rush. "Go kill that guy" is pretty cut and dried.

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    [video=youtube;bm_k7EnddGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_k7EnddGk[/video]

somebody on here said at least he can catch,, he used to be a TE back in highschool... we got our TE too!!!

don't see much hesitation in this video, looks like he getting shot out of a cannon

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

ok kid, goodell will fine you for this, and this, and definately this.:cool:

8. steelerdavidismyname

steelerdavidismyname Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Hi, I am new here. And as much as I do respect everyone here who wanted a CB....I mean to me this pick was a no brainer. Dupree was a Monster on a Kentucky team that literally had NO other even decent players. I saw several of his games, and he never one time was not double, and tripled teamed by offenses. I mean he is a better disruptive player and superior Athlete then Clowney ever was. To compare his outright Rage and the way he plays to a Jarvis Jones or even a great athletic Shazier is ridiculous. To a man, every expert I have seen calls Dupree the best value selection in the 1st round.

Obviously we need some secondary help. And I like the aggresive and smart play of a Grant at Ohio State. I also LOVE Rowe from Utah...but I kinda doubt he falls to 56. And as much as everyone says the Eagles struck Gold with USC WR Agholor....I saw the last two seasons where Steven Nelson played him one on one, and Nelson totally dominated him. Nelson is also a guy we might be able to steal in the 3rd or 4th round maybe.

So it is all good Steeler fans...we will address the CB needs, and if we can get a pair of either Rowe-Grant-D'Juon Smith or Nelson, I will be very Happy. And to get a Monster like Dupree at 22 is just like being on " Fantasy Island " and having my Dream come true.

Peace fans.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    You're in good company. Welcome aboard! :drinks:

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Everything I have seen he has motor and instincts

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd say his instincts fall under the "Pros" column. I'm not sure where that's coming from. He's got technique issues, but he's in good hands.

12. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    glad IM not the only one

Bud Dupree, ED, Kentucky
    As bad a pick as has been made so far based solely on tape. Dupree is a tremendous athlete, but he’s far from a tremendous football player at this point. He generated his pressure at Kentucky beating up on bad tackles and wasn’t all that productive. He’s going to need an awful lot of coaching up on a Steelers team that is in desperate need of some pass rush now given how badly Jarvis Jones has panned out. Dupree had the 23rd highest grade of edge rushers against Power 5 teams based on his production. The patient Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t likely to let their need for edge rush force them into playing Dupree before he is ready which is a blessing in a lot of ways.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/30/2015-draft-reaction-blog-day-1/

13. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

That's funny cause Collins from LSU said in a pre-draft report that Dupree was easily the hardest Defensive player he has ever faced. And Nick Saban also spoke highly of him.

14. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The hesitation I saw seemed to come more from maintaining containment and not wanting to over pursue. Maybe that will be a liability when the game speeds up?

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I knew the best college scouts in town, PFF, would make their way into this thread at some point. Their college grading system that's even more shrouded in secrecy than their NFL grading system, arrived (not publicly) just in time for the draft. Obviously I don't give their scouting opinion much credence. :smiley1:

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I want to say a couple of things:

First, everyone who is giving up on Jones at this point has ZERO patience. The kid got hurt last year. That means to me we still have no idea what we have in the kid. Same could be said about Shazier.

Second, our D Coordinator is our previous LB coach. He now has 4 first rounders as potential starters for him. It is time for Porter and him to earn their money and coach these guys up. If we end up with a new Harrison, Woodley, and Farrior, I will be very very happy.

Third, I am pretty tired of seeing Jones = Dupree. The reality is this:

They both played in the SEC.
    Jones was surrounded by better talent.
    Jones was projected high at the start and eventually slid in the draft to us.
    Dupree was projected to us and right after us at the start, then shot up the board with me seeing him as high as #6. He then eventually slid to us.

17. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

To say that there is any comparison between Jarvis Jones and Alvin Dupree is like saying " Body wise " that there is no difference between " Kate Upton " and say " Rosie O'Donnell "

screenshot-2014-07-31-at-3.12.47-pm-e1406834300741.jpg 070109_odonnell.jpg

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    :lolol:

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rosie!! yaaa baby she looking good!! :shots:

20. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

Yikes. I haven't come accross as anyone as Crazy as you for saying that since..." Randle P Mcmurphy "

tumblr_m5w2lcK5FB1ryr9sxo1_500.gif

21. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope you are aware that if you dig on the internet long enough I can find a bad scouting report on every player drafted. especially all those great corners you want

22. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

Yeah that " Pro football focus " are so great huh ?....well maybe he should read their opinions LAST year on " Johnny Manziel "....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/20/nfl-draft-profiles-johnny-manziel/

Hey Real Steel....they really KNOCKED it out of the park on their observations on " Johnny Football " huh.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with this, I'm not a football expert, but from what I have seen he looks raw in regards to technique, but I think his "instincts" seem fine to me.

Actually how complex is the LOLB spot really? You are either setting the edge stuffing the run, rushing the passer, or occasionally dropping to coverage.

I would like to see Dupree lose some weight though and play around 260 so he is even faster.

24. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I mean, this was a fantasy post, and they hadn't developed college scouting capabilities until this year, so using an isolated example that isn't even applicable doesn't prove your point.

I have a friend who does scouting work for them, and they're very very meticulous. They have multiple people grading each individual player on each individual play for even the most obscure D1 schools.

25. steelerdavidismyname

May 1, 2015

Actually, it was a scouting report. Try reading it again. They are basing his 1st year success on what he did at Texas AM. Same with his passing. But they didn't state ONE fact on their hatred for Dupree. It's like they haven't watched one game of his. Cause if they had, they would see he was Double and triple-teamed all the time. And even then he got twice the tackles that either Fowler did or Beasley did. The dude is just a BETTER Jedeveon Clowney..only with on the field production...and Dupree isn't a quitter like Clowney is.