1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2015 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm glad he's starting to get some attention. I said somewhere a while back that he'd get some buzz as the draft approached. I don't personally have a 1st round grade on him. I just wouldn't be surprised if he's taken at the end of the 1st or early 2nd.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've spent some added time investing our 2 cb, Rowe, I still see as a 3rd RD CB.... which is not a bad thing. I also see him as a stand alone FS with a Late 3 to 4th RD grade. From a schematic point of view his versatility, success at both positions has now gotten him an overall 2nd RD grade from me. I'm now ok with our pick of him in the 2nd. I actually hope we draft either Rowe or Byron Jones......they are so similar and offer great flexibility.

I'm also warming up to Golson. He's like lightning in a bottle. Offenses are falling in Love with small quick slot wr weapons...... he's a perfect counter punch.

Cajun

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think all 3 corners that you discussed in this post have more value in a system like ours than they would in a pure man system. They all play better when they're facing the QB, and Golson in particular just goes and gets the ball once it's airborne. He closes on the ball exceptionally well. That's not to say that any of these 3 guys can't handle man coverage. They've all done it to varying degrees, and have done it well. I just think they all fit what we want to do very nicely.

Now we just have to get you to see the potential upside of Dupree ;)

4. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Haha..... I see the potential, I don't see the production.

Cajun

5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but you need to look at 2016+ with Butler, Porter and Olsavsky coaching him, and playing with a monster like JH. Plus, I think he could have a Aldon-Smith type of impact as a situational pass rusher if he takes to coaching quickly.

I do fully understand where you're coming from though. On my first go-around through his tape I called it a game of "Where's Waldo." I had to watch again and try to understand why the production didn't match the ability, and I think it's likely a combination of coaching and trying to do too much with him when the NCAA rules limit how much time the coaches can work him. As a full time football player, I think he can develop into something special. Keep it simple for him year one and let him grow into a starter role, and really good things could result. I don't see anything there that indicates to me that he would be a bad teammate or that he's lazy (at least any more lazy than the typical high-talent 1st round prospect). Just my thought. I could be wrong, and he could be a bust, but I don't think so.

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He played DE & OLB in college and that hurt him. He needs coaching and focused on a single position. I actually believe a year of coaching and weight room training he'll become a decent 4-3DE and possibly a pro bowler before he finishes his rookie deal.

Does he fit what we do better than Shane Ray or Orchard ?

Cajun

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think they all fit. The question is value. I would rate Ray the highest (easily), then Dupree, and then Orchard. I do have questions about Orchard playing in space. I don't have that concern with Dupree. He's a much better athlete.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Just saw this a couple minutes ago.

[tweet]590969706334461953[/tweet]

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Slide slide please SLIDE !!!!

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That could be sweet, if he slides but his foot turns out fine.

Just don't let Dr. Maroon be the one examining him. He'll prescribe not riding a bike for 2 years, and then hit him in both feet with a sledgehammer Kathy Bates style.

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Just heard this injury is similar to turf toe. That's what ended Lambert's career. Do you think we'd take a chance on an injured player in the first?

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Absolutely, depending on the player and nature of the injury. Advances in medical technology has been stupendous over the last 30 years. Tommy John surgery has saved many a pitching careeers. ACL Injurys has killed many careers like Kijanna Carter former #1 RB for the Bengals but today they aren't viewed as the death sentence they once were.

All the teams know the intimate details of prospects lives and medical. If he drops its not because they are afraid of his injury, it's because they want an IMMEDIATE starting force on the field and not willing to wait.

Cajun

13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with Cajun, modern medicine has come so far I am pretty confident this injury will not be an issue. To be honest I have not paid any attention to Ray or Gregory cause I didn't feel we had a chance at them. I guess I am going to have to take a look at these two now that they are both on the slide. Kinda funny we have them two going down the board and Peters falling we may end up with a top guy if we are willing to take the risk which isn't the Steeler way but you never know.....

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    5 picks away, I guess it's time to start thinking about the Steelers selection.

15. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    MyCole Pruitt - TE - Southern Illinois

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I like Kroft from Rutgers, you know he can block and he can catch they just had bad qb play last year. I feel this kid is a steal here, jmo

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I do not have my list with me I am at work(yeah working hard) but I know off the top of my head I liked OT Hickey from Cuse and Josh Harper from Fresno ST along with TE Kroft I just mentioned. I think we have to go offense this time for sure. The more I read on Harper I like him here for us, keep giving Ben weapons......

18. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    My vote

Stefon Diggs WR Maryland

my backup vote

Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech

19. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Waller was another one I was thinking about. Some say he may end up more of a TE in the nfl. Diggs isn't a bad option either

20. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I assumed he was gone, so I looked three times and he hasn't been taken yet. It's coming down to Kroft, Waller and Glowinski for me. Glowinski was my backup vote for the 4th, so I'm going with him here, and having Blanchflower helps ease the pain not getting Kroft. Glowinski has some movement skills that should fit our scheme well.

Mark Glowinski, OG, WVU

21. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Keep in mind you can discuss things all you want...but no voting will be counted until the vote has been opened (and only votes AFTER the time will be counted).

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I would have no problem with Glowinski he is a tough nose lineman. The thing with Kroft is due you view him as a Blanchflower type? I don't I think this kid could learn from Heath and turn into that type of player. He played for a run type team but has the ability to catch passes when needed......sounds like a Heath clone????? Kroft had a bad statistical season last year 24-269-0 but the year before he did have a season when he showed he can catch it as well 43-573-4. I have read QB play was a big part of the drop off.

Other names like I mentioned I really like Hickey but I think we have guard need more then tackle. I also like these 2 WR's as well:

Harper 6-1 191 4.64
    2013 79-1011-16
    2014 90-1097-7

Davis 6-3 220 4.57
    2012 61-854-4
    2013 87-1290-14
    2104 34-599-4 missed 5 games

Davis is said to have run slow but could be the big physical receiver we are looking for. I like in this spot adding a weapon but I could see oline protection as well, thoughts?

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Im away from home and I don't have my list.. Is Matt Jones RB still available??

cajun

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I too am away from my list but I just checked the selection list and I don't see him on there so I am going to say yes he is still available.

25. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I have Matt Jones still available as well