1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 Steelers Pre-Draft Visits

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    several guys have the functional strength greater than Dupree. they also have that speed and quickness but the biggest factor is length of arms compared to him. that's got to be considered. so many have struggled in the NFL because of that. tackles, guards, centers, pass rushers, d-linemen and so on. that's my concern about him.

the next thing is what do we do with moats and JJ if they come on this year as full time players? we will have a 3 guys with one always sitting but paid awful well.

I also wanted to address some of your concerns about his hesitation, and it very well could be coaching and scheme. a lot of college's run that zone read and it does cause hesitation for pass rushers on the outside. it's used as a tool to slow down the pass rush and make these guys hesitate a step. he won't see as much of that in the pro's as of right now anyway.

it really is a tough call on which of these guys will become better pros compared to college players. it's such a gamble, but if you hit the right combination you really have something. of course if you have too many, you also strap yourself into tying up cap dollars on part time players of the same position. similar to worilds as a #2 pick sitting for 4 years basically. I don't remember us ever having two #1 draft picks at OLB. does this eliminate these guys or JJ? do we look 2nd or 3rd instead? or do we take a mid round guy and hope he just provides depth for a year and maybe more down the road until we see what we have with what we have?:cool:

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, once you've invested a draft pick in a player, that draft pick is gone. It's a sunk cost, and shouldn't dictate what you do in the future. Basic economics translated to the draft. So with that in mind, if JJ had been a 5th rounder, would you be 100% comfortable right now with him as our primary pass rusher for the next couple of years. Also, Moats has been nice as a role player, but he's never established himself as "the guy." It keeps coming back to my Batman and Robin view on edge rushers. You're not going to have a top tier outside pass rush with a bunch of Robins.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but that's just it we don't know and we did invest a #1 in JJ to be a batman. just because we have had guys with injuries, do we replace them with a high draft pick? we tend to give guys time until we know. if shazier gets hurt again do we go first round for another ILB next year?

we do have some players that we don't know about at this position. moats being one. lemon, hojo, nix, kruger, zumwalt and a twice injured JJ. I know we are pretty sure what we have in JH but the rest are "we don't quite know guys". saying they will only be a robin is kind of jumping the gun and then adding another high draft pick to the "we don't know mix". moats has never been given the chance to be the guy, so saying he never will is jumping the gun. I really look for us to take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd at the earliest. I think they are positioning themselves to see who drops to there and if they miss out we have been looking at the next best mid rounder.:cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm not even going to bother debating further Mac. Last year you argued that we were all set because of Soto and some other PS guys that I can't even remember (because they were unmemorable). I like JJ, but my eyes tell me that he is simply too small and lacking in raw ability to be more than the 2nd guy. He may be a really nice 2nd guy, but he's no 15 sack "Batman."

Anyway, I've been down the "we're set because of [insert unproven guys here]" road with you enough to know when to just shake my head and agree to disagree.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    fair enough.:smiley1::cool:

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    How did you do that, Elvis? When I get into it with mac we just go round and round and round...

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

just trying to discuss football, no arguments.:smiley1::cool:

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is like when Peter's hypnotist died in Office Space.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao:

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Once you put a square edge on Mac's circular logic, the rest falls into place nicely ;)

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Something about Nate Orchard says "Steeler" to me.

He is not flashy, but his game reminds me a lot of Woodley or Haggans.

I could see him being a pick in what ever round he falls to.