1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2015 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I get this. There's track speed and football speed. If you're slow on the track you'll be slow on the field. Just because you're a burner doesn't mean you have elite football speed. Still, you have to look at the 40, and vert & 3 cone & etc. You can't coach speed, or size.

I remember Jason Verrett from last year. Same size but faster and half foot higher vert. Ball hawk and considered a late one to 2nd RD pick. He went in the 1st......he had 4 passes defenses and one int against raiders Derek Carr.

The Steelers need an outside corner 1st and foremost. I'll take an upgrade at the slot. heck, I'll take an upgrade anywhere especially on defense. But a 3rd for someone we really don't know enough about is worrisome and risky.

Cajun

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Jason Verrett got hurt pretty early last year IIRC. Those stats can be misleading. He was playing pretty good up till that point.

Is your basis for a #1 corner size primarily? There aren't too many big corners with the requisite skills available in the 3rd or later for this draft. It seems to me, the better skilled CBs are on the smaller side. Kevin White, Mager, Golson. Damiann Swann is slightly bigger (I think but haven't looked it up).

Are you looking for a bigger corner as your #1? If so, we better go CB in the first 2 rounds. (if you think Rowe is a FS).

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Verrett played 6 games...IR after week 8...... He's going to be a good player, in the slot, but my point is he struggled some, as highly as he was touted he still had a learning curve, expect Golson to have a steeper curve.

I do want a bigger corner and preferably one in the 1st rd.

Canon

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I know enough about him to be comfortable. I had some Ole Miss games and the Senior Bowl practices on my DVR, and watched quite a bit of him. He shows great makeup speed, and his ball skills are top tier. Unfortunately I can't link any full games for you, because I can't find any online, but this breakdown by Mike Mayock has 3 nice ints. He flat out baited Alabama's QB on one of them

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000473501/Mayock-breaks-down-Senquez-Golson

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ahh... I have a Roku, but I've not considered the ESPN app. A lot of my early film study consists of going through games that I recorded on my DVR througout the season. I've got to say, the cut up game film on draft breakdown, YouTube and other sites are a godsend though. Watching full games to see one player is a LOT of work.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Bengals select Gerod Holliman S Louisville

The Bengals need to further protect against safeties leaving next year.

Titans start round 4 next

Very nice pick I like this guy a lot and for someone in our division to end up with him that was a double whammy!!!!!

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Are you comfortable putting him on the outside against every team's #1 or even #2 WR? Is he what the Steelers need to improve? Was he the most impactful draftee the Steelers could taken with their 3rd RD pick.?

I have these doubts.

Cajun

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The answer to that one doesn't have to be "yes" in order for him to be a good pick. By the third round, a position that plays half the downs, like a nickel CB or a NT, or a RB/WR/KR (if we ever actually get him on the field, Haley!!) is acceptable, as long as he's very good at what he does.

Ideally we'd get a guy that plays every down. But then again, ideally we'd get a guy that could take out the other team's #1 guy. That's easier said than done. If the choice is between a guy with a high chance of being a stud nickel CB vs. a taller, longer guy with the potential to take on #1 receivers, but a much lower chance of actually succeeding, I gotta take the former. It's kind of a BPA debate within a certain position. Do we take the guy that's better at the nickel spot, or reach for need on the outside? I think as someone advocating we draft a RB in the 2nd, you'd go for the better player. :thumbs_up: I think we're low enough at the CB position that we could take someone inside or outside and it wouldn't go to waste.

Of course, all that assumes we can agree that Golson is better than some other guy, which we probably don't. But hopefully that clears up our point of view.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    May not be around to vote tomorrow, so I'll cast it now.

Frank Clark, DE/OLB, Michigan
    (Mark Glowinski, OG, West Virginia, backup vote)

I won't pass up a chance to draft LaMaar Woodley in the 4th round, even if we drafted OLB in the first. This guy screams ROLB, and with Chickillo off the board a few spots earlier, Clark may represent the last big dude with athleticism left at the position. Give him a year to see how James Harrison handles himself and I think he could be a good one. This came down to Glowinski from WVU (LG), Kroft from Rutgers (TE), Waller from GA Tech (WR), and about 5000 RB's on the board.

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I somehow hadn't heard of that guy. After some research... he looks like he's got the value, but being thrown off his team mid-season because he punched out his girlfriend is pretty serious. Hope we've got some good interviewers. Get Sipowicz down there!

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    With us already taking 3 defensive players I feel this is where we need to hit the offensive side of the ball. The guy I like here is :

Tony Lippett, WR, Michigan State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 192.
    40 Time: 4.61.
    Projected Round (2015): 3-5.
    4/11/15: Lippett was Connor Cook's No. 1 receiver in 2014 and had good production for the Spartans with 65 receptions for 1,198 yards with 11 touchdowns. Lippett showed nice route-running and hands for Michigan State. The senior was very improved over his previous seasons, although he didn't stand out at the Senior Bowl and ran slow at the Combine. Some teams are thinking of moving Lippett to defensive back.

Lippett had 44 catches for 613 yards with two touchdowns in 2013. The previous year, he hauled in 36 receptions for 392 yards and two scores.

I really like what this kid can bring to our offense and with his add experience at DB at the end of his college career I think that can help him at the next level. Hey if he fails at WR we can also try him at CB, so we have 2 shots at making this kid stick.

Other guys I like here are:

Kroft - TE Rutgers, I feel there are a bunch of TE's still left with the same skill set and we could wait a round or 2.
    Walton - DT Cent Mich, very talented but a little raw but could be a good pick for us
    Cobb - RB Minn, also just like the TE position I feel there are still good depth here so we could wait a few rounds. Also RB is not high on my list right now
    Hickey - OT Cuse, I was very temped to place my vote here and honestly would be upset if the pick was him. I like this kid and in the 4th very good value here.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Very interesting here with this pick but what makes me wonder is with this pick we would only cover 2 positions in 4 rounds. Double dipping in the first four rounds kinda scares me and that is why I went WR here. I know we have needs but I have no problem waiting a few rounds and taking a chance on guys like Vaughters or Clarks's teammate Ryan to double up the OLB position.

I think we are on the same page with your other picks you were considering. I think right here we need to make sure the offense stays oiled up and add some depth here at WR or someone to help protect Ben. JMO

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford - prototypical 3-4 DE at 6'6" 294. Had 8.5 sacks and 15 TFLs in 2014. Is exceptional against the run with proven ability to shed blockers and hold his gaps. He has long-term potential to be a starter, and would likely be ready to be our 3rd DE day 1. Here's a nice tidbit - he ran a 4.19 second short shuttle at the combine at 6'6" 294. Many corners and RBs don't do that well. That is some serious short distance change of direction ability for a guy that big. Super safe pick. If we take him it's bye bye Cam Thomas (and good friggin riddance).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/henry-anderson?id=2552272

I would be leery of Clark. Also, with us taking Dupree I think it's early to go OLB anyway. The way I see it, Dupree gives us 4 locks as roster spots at OLB and I wouldn't want to try to hide a 4th rounder on the practice squad. I also think we're going to need to bring Hojo to the active roster to protect him if he shows year on year improvement in the preseason, so that's 5 roster spots already at OLB. So I think that's a risky double dip. By contrast, we are really thin at DE, and Anderson is a very good player who would be likely to earn an active roster spot, and a helmet on game days. I also see limited value at this spot on offense other than a slew of capable RBs and WRs.

16. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    David Cobb RB Minnesota

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Henry Anderson is a no-brainer to me (see my mock) if we go defense the first four picks. For the offense, I think WR Tre McBride is in play as is OL Jeremiah Poutasi Utah and RB David Cobb.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven't made a selection yet, my pick will be a RB/TE/WR or possibly oline. First 3 rds went to defense, I'm voting offense in this one.

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Who is the best possible LG prospect available at this point?

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I have a feeling this one will be harder than last round.

So far we have 4 different players all with 1 vote each.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Poutasi from Utah and Mark Glowinski from West Virginia. Glowinski played multiple positions and I believe Munchak went to the WVU pro day.

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I agree with everything you have said here sir. The two players I asked you to review are two I think we can PS and develop during Harrison's final tenure. Of those two I'm still undecided. Now back to this pick.

HENDERSON offer such a high value it's almost foolish to not make this pick. Problem is we still need to address the OL at tackle,,, we have serviceable interior lineman but no future starters. RB is a need and the talent is about to drop off as is WR. TE has one guy left In Koyack. Solid blocker, good hands.....not very fast..

Decisions decisions!!!!!

Cajun

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    That's the most shameful vote pandering I've ever seen! Worked on me.

Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford

I've only seen one tape of him, and it was one of those half-highlight tapes that shows all the plays from one game that he did well on. Even so, he looks like he's smart, instinctive, and he definitely plays hard. He did make a lot of plays in that game. I don't follow college football so I don't know how terrible Oregon State's OL is, but either they are terrible, or he made them look terrible. He's the right size and has decent numbers, and all the criticism of him is my favorite kind of criticism for prospects I like ("he's a tweener" - who cares? Not a problem for us). Stick him at DE and get him a little stronger.

Update: Now I've seen the first half of his Utah tape, and I've seen enough. It's unfair that he's white and #91, because it's too easy to remind me of 4th round pick Aaron Smith. Anderson looks like he could grow with us and become a good DE. I'm in.

24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    i think it's time to add another rb to the mix.... with that, my vote goes to
    USC rb Javorius allen.... good feet, patience to let the hole develop (sound familiar?), excellent blocker out of the backfield as well

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im throwing my hat in for RB, too.

But for:

David Cobb, Minnesota