1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2015 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, that's very nice of you BF! Heck, I've never even watched the guy play. I just like his name. Can you imagine that in the introductions? Sennn Quezzzzz Golson!

Seriously, there are no games of his online. Fortunately I had some Ole Miss games on my DVR, including the Bama game that he sealed with a pick in the end zone. I cleaned my DVR of games a couple of months ago, so I'm going on memory. I'm still pretty sure that I like him a lot better than any of the other slot-only corner prospects. He is a turnover machine. That ball is HIS when it's in the air.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not so sure he's a slot only CB Elvis. I live here in the SEC belt and got a pretty good look at his ability. He reminds me of Brandon Flowers, tough competitor with great ball skills. I'd be excited to welcome him into the Steelers fold. He's a really good football player with great confidence and competitiveness.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And that's what we need. Who was the last CB we had with that perspective? Rod Woodson?

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I doubt it. The ones they've brought in are 6th rd Thru UDFA targets. 7th rd maybe, most likely sign a TE as UDFA to compete with Blanchflower.

Cajun

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That makes no sense, they already have that in Blanchflower, they will take one by the 4th this year.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't necessarily disagree, but according to Tony Pauline, Jesse James has a visit scheduled.

7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Maybe in college. He's 5'9" 180 lbs with a shallow vert (33) and for a corner a slow 4.46 ..... he will be abused by #1&#2 WR to start his career. Slot corner is all he'll ever be.

Cajun

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ha, that's something! I haven't followed Mayock at all this year, so that's cool (to me) that he has Rowe ranked so highly. I'll be surprised if he makes it to the end of the 2nd round.

I didn't mean to put you on the spot about Yeldon, I was just curious why you passed on him when he was still there.

Sigh...Shaq Thompson. I personally have a hard time with him, because I can't see where he'd fit. What would his role be on the Steelers? I agree with you, he's a WIL or ILB. Maybe he could fill in at RB. :lol:

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Well, that could change things. He'd be competition for Spaeth. Possibly in the 4th rd........ uugghh

Hope not, we have other needs in the 1st 5 rds.

Cajun

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    At the combine...he actually measured under 5'9". :eek:

Despite that, he's got some great coverage skills. He's very good at reading the QB, and his production shows it. (31 passes defended, 16 career interceptions- 10 in 2014.)

Random bit of trivia- he chose Ole Miss over Alabama due to the fact that he also played collegiate baseball. He was drafted by the Red Sox, but ultimately turned down a $1.4 Mil contract.

I think he's got the talent to be productive in the NFL, but I don't really see him anywhere but inside due to his size.

11. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah, I like Shaq but we have zero need @ ILB. I Follow Mayock, Jeremiah,Miller, McShay.......draftscout, drafttek, draftcountdown and a couple printed copies..... I try to combine them all and form a targeted list in each position then I try to watch film on those guys to confirm or refute them. It's the only way for me sifft thru 300+ players.

Cajun

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I actually knew all that..haha I think he'll be a good slot corner but we don't need that. He's quicker than fast with good instincts but we need a solid outside guy to cover the #1 or #2 WR. That's why I don't like the pick.

Cajun

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember when Antonio Brown was viewed as a slot receiver because of his size... I was one of those guys that thought that... Boy was I wrong!! A couple of inches only matter in one instance but I can't remember where that is!! :eek: :lolol:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Reminds me after we drafted Troy and someone asked Cowher if he was out to collect as many colorful names as he could, Fuamatu-Ma'afala and Polamalu.

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    What? This makes no sense. Put the beer down, you've had enough. Miller's replacement is not in this class. Maybe Spaeths but that would require a mid rd pick but that would hamper adding talent in other more needy positions. If your #3 TE can be upgraded with a 7th rd pick why not chance that?

Cajun

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Lol.... shame on you!!!

Brown is the exception, not the rule. He has super quick feet, runs perfect route tree and has excellent hands.

Cajun

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll put down the beer when you stop smoking Bells stash :lolol:

They took a 7th in Blanchflower, why do it again??? He could be Spaeths replacement.

And how do you know Millers replacement isn't in the draft? Better get your butt up to Coberts office, he could make use of those super clairvoyant mad skills you have.

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll gladly eat crow for the Brown miss but I stand by my other statement! :facepalm:

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    ... So? How often do we have our nickel in the game? Half the time? And once on the field, he's as important as anyone. CB is one of those positions where the "you're only as strong as your weakest link" thing holds true. Teams exploit a weakness in the secondary. A ballhawk at any position would be huge for us.

As for the measurables, I also don't consider 4.46 to be a slow time for a CB. Didn't Joe Haden run a 4.6 or something? An ultra-slow 40 time might be alarming, but if his game tape says he's fast, 4.46 is no reason to doubt it.

Furthermore, I'm not saying I'm dying to put him up against Calvin Johnson, but size and leaping ability are both less important to getting high balls than instincts, timing, and coordination. I don't know if Golson has those things, but if he does, it will make up for his lack of height and hops in many instances. Again, you should still try to keep him away from the tall guys, because with a good throw and a good receiver, there won't be anything he can do, but you can control it to some degree. Steve Smith has always been a good example of that. He gets the ball because he's the first one to it, not because his body is the most capable.

I haven't watched one frame of tape on the Golson, but if we're talking about a guy who could remain a very good, short, mostly slot CB for our team for a long time, who has a nose for the ball, and all it costs is a 3rd round pick, sign me up.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Unfortunately there's nothing that I can find online of Golson in terms of full games. However, Mayocks brief profile of him is out there with a few clips that show his ball skills. There are a couple of other tapes on YouTube. Also. He did an impressive job on all sized receivers in 1 on 1 drills at the Sr Bowl practices. He is not slow at all. 4.46 is fine, particularly when compared to slow receivers who tend to be quicker than fast. Also, he has made a few interceptions by outrunning bigger receivers to the ball on go routes. I wish I still had his games on my DVR so that I could go back and re watch to consider scheme a bit more, but my recollection is that he played a ton of zone at Ole Miss. Like Snack said, our nickel is on the field all the time, we may as well have a ballhawk there.

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    [video=youtube;m1agaZinJHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1agaZinJHg[/video]

22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    A few things..... I have seen a couple frames of his......it isn't much and requires viewing alot of other players as well. Not enough to form a foundational opinion on.

1- 4.46 speed for a corner is not a burner or elite but not pedestrian either. Good thing he is quicker than fast and has great instincts.

2- Twice I've read in defense of his small stature a comparison to a WR. They, WR, know where they're going, where the ball will be and set up defenders. Being proactive is an advantage in itself over reactionary. NFL offenses and WR are exponentially greater than the college versions.

3- will he be an upgrade over Blake? Yes, in 2016 maybe 17' but I don't want that for a 3rd rnder. I'd rather have that impactful RB or a safety that can possibly start in 2016 or even a crucial 5-tech DE to replace baby zilla.

4- draft picks are valuable and over drafting a guy isn't good. GOLSON can be had in the 4th or another slot CB will be there. Now if he's your guy.... over drafting him is better than loosing him.... question is...... Is he THAT guy???

Cajun

23. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm on the plane there now with another one.....Ben's replacement isn't In this draft either.

Cajun

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know. Obviously if I knew we could get him in the 4th, I'd take him in the 4th.

My point about his size is that skills go a long way in making up for it, and it sounds like he has those.

I don't look at 40 times as closely as you. I think of them as "big picture." They can help you tell who's insanely fast and who's really slow, but if you start picking it apart by hundredth of seconds, it loses all meaning. It can matter on the field, but it can't be used to measure what's on the field; not to that degree. Plenty of guys play faster than their official times, and plenty of guys play slower. 4.46 is right in the normal range, so that's when you defer to the tape (which I haven't seen, but everyone says he looks quick and fast - his time does not say otherwise).

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I just think it's funny that this board is freaking out for the Steelers to draft a corner early... Then when it comes to our huge mock draft we don't pick one until the third lol pretty good stuff right there. I wanted to go Yeldon, but I figured we were gonna take CB. We pretty much HAD to if we didn't want to be hypocrites haha

(before anyone points out Rowe, I'd argue that he is way more likely to be a FS for us than a CB. I don't like him nearly as much as a CB as I do as a FS.)