1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Brady now the greatest ever?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 1, 2015.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    How is Manning a choke artist?

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can give you a little insight to that. even when he was at Tennessee it was said he couldn't win the big one. he would make bonehead plays at the worst time against teams like florida and auburn.

even in the pros he seems to have what we call around here....brainfarts.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I will start with his sub .500 playoff record and also call attention to his multiple one and dones in the playoffs and his game winning INT... for the Saints. Then I will move on to how when he was here in town he could never beat FL or win the National Championship.

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That d was ranked 1st in 3 categories and 3rd in another. That is hardly something to sneeze at. Just because they almost lost to the rams means nothing. The 85 Bears lost to the fins. It's an any given Sunday league. Even the Steel Curtain never went undefeated. I DON'T think they were AS good this year as they were last year but they are still a force to be reckoned with and will be next year also. They beat the packers hands down earlier in the year as well. When a qb throws 4tds in a SB he's getting the MVP these days. Peyton Manning played much worse than that and won it. To set the record that Brady did last night is a great accomplishment. The funny thing is that I really don't think he would have cared who they gave it to and also did anyone else notice that on the "I'm going to Disneyworld" commercial it showed Edelman and Browner? I didn't see one with Brady.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Every QB in the history of the SB that has thrown 4 TD passes has won the MVP. In fact, every QB that has thrown 3TDs has won the MVP if their team won the game. If they hadn't given it to Brady, that would have been unprecedented.

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    But when we say "he" can't win the big one, we are suggesting the QB does it all and is solely responsible for winning and losing.

Sorry, but if Hank Baskett catches an onside kick, Peyton likely has two rings.

And if the Broncos D doesn't give up a Hail Mary TD by Flacco, maybe he has a third.

And if Vanderjagt hits a FG against the Sterelers iin 2005, he has four and Bettis doesn't have one at all.

Likewise, maybe if a chip shot FG is made, Brady doesn't even have a shot in 2011 and maybe the Ravens win back to back titles.

And if Asante Samuel holds on to a sure pick, Brady has five and a 19-0 season.

Fact is, the QB doesn't have as much control over the game as we like to think.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's absolutely a better regular season QB, his post season record doesn't stack up to Bradys though, thats why I said "maybe", but the argument can be made that he is better.

Lets not act like Brady didn't face a watered down version of what Manning faced in the SB last year.

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will give you that in the pros more but I can tell you that he gave away 2 games against florida in college. that's where it all started he couldn't win the big one. I mean one year after he left with a lesser team, tee martin won a national title

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Is Brady the best ever?

No.

But you know who is? His agent. I've never seen such a fantastic deal with the devil in my life. ;)

10. Steel_Razorback

Steel_Razorback Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

You got that right! He would fold like tissue paper if he were playing in the 70's or 80's. Those 70's guys would have broken him and loved doing it.
    :bowdown: Bradshaw
    Brady :bscow:

Out of curiosity... would you add Kurt Warner to your list?

It's impossible to measure the career or legacy of "Can't Beat 'Em, Cheat 'Em" Brady. Like with Lance Armstrong, nothing can be considered legit. Belicheat and the Patsys are a punch line while Brady's a joke open to derision (or doe eyed man crushes). He hasn't earned the slightest consideration as "great" or for HoF. And certainly not in the STEELERS forum.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Joe Montana! Ringold High, Monongahela, PA
    Joe Namath, Beaver Falls ,Pa Dan Marino, PGH,PA
    Jim Kelly, East Brady, Pa, Johnny Unitas Pgh,Pa
    get my drift?

12. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Career QB rating in the post season for Brady is 89.0, for Peyton Manning it is 88.5 and that is with Brady throwing 15 more TDs which pushes up your rating quite a bit. That likely implies that Brady is playing a safe passing game, little risk, managing the game effectively while Peyton has to take more chances (his yards per attempt is about 1 yd greater than Brady).

I get it QB rating is not the tell-all be-all statistic and it certainly doesn't capture key moments like Manning's pick 6 against NO in the SB. Some, including me have argued that Ben's 23.5 rating in the SB win over Seattle didn't tell the whole story because Ben did make 3 to 4 big plays on 3rd down that were important for the win. But the stat does capture performance over a long period of time and what it shows is Brady's play is not astronomically better than Manning in the post season.

As others have said, what is true is that Brady has played on better teams - especially collectively as a whole 22 man unit.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a good one, hmm, I'd have to say Brady is better than Warner but I think what Warner has accomplished is amazing.

Thats a great point.

14. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    :lolol:

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I get a chuckle out of the jim Kelly listing.

gunslinger type qb, with a good rb that was just as good running as he was a receiver, a couple of decent wr's and a pretty stout defense. hmmmm reminds me of somewhere:hmmm:.

now where is that place I'm thinking of??? I just can't put my finger on it. :smiley1:;):cool:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Blast thinks Curt Warner, the Seahawks RB from the 80s, is a better quarterback than Tom Brady. ;-) :-D

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It didn't start there. He's been a choker since HS.

Manning had a record of 34-5 in 3 years of starting in HS, but NEVER did his team win a state title. Do the math. Thats just over 1 loss per year, which means that one HAD to come in the postseason each year otherwise he'd have at least one title.
    http://www.peytonmanning18.com/highschool.html

Search list for Isidore Newman HS and you will find ZERO titles....
    http://www.14-0productions.com/LHSAA_Titles.html

HS....zero
    College....zero
    Pro....one in how many chances?

You can't make excuses for that much futility.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They were ranked 1st in 3 out of 4 categories. That's hardly watered down. They weren't "as" good but they would have totaled manning again.

19. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who the H** is this Tom Brady guy you're all talking about ? Does he play football or something ? I vaguely remember a guy by that name years ago but the pure hatred I had for him, his coach and his team has since wiped him completely from my mind as if he never even existed.

I can hardly wait for the return of a great pass rushing defense to the Steel City again so we can bury this girly man Brady 2 feet in to the turf on his back and the whole world will get to remember what a whining pu**y he is when he gets real pressure up in his face. The greatest QB ever my A** !

Okay sorry folks. I just had to get that out. I feel much better now :lolol:

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Until 2007 Brady has had ONE pro bowl receiver his whole career. That was Deion Branch. Who, by the way, went to Seattle and didn't do jack. Manning had Harrison for most of his career in Indy. Plus Wayne. Then he goes to Denver and has Welker, Thomas, Thomas, and Sanders. Brady has probably thrown to one Hall of Fame wr in his career and that's Moss. Harrison will be in and Wayne very well might be. Brady basically only got to play one good year with Moss because he got hurt but Moss and him tore it up. He also has had a rb by committee for most of his career and especially lately. Brady has not had as many long term weapons like manning has. Also it's beyond ridiculous to suggest that Brady can't throw down the field. Has it not occurred to any of you that he doesn't have a wr that's really capable of being a deep threat. When they gave him guys to work with in 07 they killed people going down field. I've kept up very closely with his career and don't just watch him like one or two times a year and think that those games are a microcosm of what he does. They're not. He can and will and does beat people in different ways. I've not heard anybody answer whether or not the reason that they were dinking and dunking, which is what we done a TON of this year btw and had the number one offense, was because the down field guys were covered. I'm still waiting on a response to that. Are you saying Brady's 1st read was his outlet or was that his only option? Because if that were his only option would you expect him to throw it to the covered guy just to prove to the internet that he can "go down field"?

21. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
  22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Why ? Enough with the Brady man crush already LOL!

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I just think they're a fascinating team and since I've never liked manning it makes sense that I would pull for his nemesis. Ironically, I didn't really like Brady when he won the first few Super Bowls and thought he was just a guy that had a good kicker. Then in 07 he got weapons and destroyed the league and I realized that he is every thing he was advertised to be. I respect the fact that no matter how many distractions the team has he just always seems ready to play. I also like the way he holds his teammates accountable. I wish Ben had just a smidgen of the fire that Brady does when his o line is not playing up to par. When they were going to kneel on it the other night a couple of guys were just lollygagging to the huddle and I don't know if anyone caught it but Brady cleaned their plow. I like that kind of leadership. I still like Ben better than him though. I have a man crush on him too. LOL.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!! My buddy told me about some meme that he saw the other day where Brady called manning and manning's voicemail said "hey you've reached the greatest of all time and I will call you back" and Brady said "I like your voicemail but I thought it was a little premature after just one ring." LOL!!!

25. Steel_Razorback

Steel_Razorback Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Harrumph. Harrumph. Can we get an amen?! :steelflag: :amen: :amen: :sleep: :praying: :amen: :steelflag: Harrumph...

w/respect and humor - SR