1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

early top 5

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Couldn't agree with you more Mac, I can't understand some things that goes on with this
    managerial juggernaught of KC/MT/Art Rooney II

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    So what 1st round TE will Numbah and BF be touting this year? :hmmm: :thumbs_up:

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Mighty Maxx Williams! Assuming he declares....

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OK made some adjustments to the opening salvo I put on this thread. now a complete 7 round thinking as the season is over.

1. hauoli kikaha OLB wash. pass rusher
    2. Anthony harris SS/FS virg. plays either safety spot- play maker
    3. doran grant CB oh.st. solid corner with decent speed will only get better.
    4. tony lippet WR mich.st. big target and can be a solid #2 for ben. wheaton and Bryant as the 3-4. 2 small and fast 2 big and fast. one heck of a 4 some.
    5. Jordan hicks OLB tex another guy that makes plays from the edge. tough against the run also. very solid LB.
    6. blake bell TE okla. the bell dozer. former QB. could be brought back as a wildcat runner too. nice size, smart.
    7. tim scott CB/S NC former cb that was put back as safety and excelled at both spots. real steal this late.

I have some faith in our new PS tackle Alajandro villanueva and our new acquisition from SC ron patrick. I think hubbard makes some noise at guard again this year. Wallace still here. could be in good shape on the O-line with another year under their belts.

I like hemmer to make some strides to get on the field this year in a backup role and joe kruger as a nice addition.

zumwalt should see some time this year with hojo and a couple of these draft picks. could end up young but a strength.

I like perkins and harris as RB backups and a possible FA could be added.

we need a FA corner to start as a #1. the rest could be OK from there allowing the time for some youth to get with the program. kevin fogg as an addition from the PS in the mix.

harris, scott, Mitchell and shark as the safeties. ventrone the ST'er, 5th safety.:cool:

5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Nice, mac. I like it. We signed Joe Kruger?

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Lol

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's on our PS.:cool:

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Looks good Mac. I'd swap the Lippett pick for Heuerman TE (OSU) and draft a DE/NT type instead of Bell. I like Lippett the player, but don't really see the need to draft another WR. Heuerman can be a Spaeth type blocker with more upside as a receiver. He is a perfect fit for us, and would contribute right away. Also as a Buckeye fan, I'm not quite sold on Grant yet. Seems like more of an athlete than he is a football player... Although he has had a much better season this year than in years prior. Had a good game on Amari Cooper

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too. Hell even just ONE really good one but eliminate getting burnt on both sides of the field.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't started digging into it yet but I was thinking the same thing, what TE will I be beating the drum about this draft! :lolol:

I just read that the Steelers were very high on Ebron last year, which surprised me since he doesn't fit the typical Steelers TE mold but then as I thought about it more, he is the type of TE Haley would love.

I'll get on this right away :thumbs_up:

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fowler in the first no thanks, most of those DL/OLB guys from Florida are busts.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think we need a legit #2 wide receiver opposite AB. while I like Bryant and wheaton, I don't think they are go to guys as every down players that we can rely on consistently. lippet would give us that and allow the other two to flourish as the 3-4 guys. let's face it, passing is what we do a lot of so having plenty of horses and options are needed. I think a solid legit #2 guy would put this offense over the top.

I like heuerman, but he wasn't used much at OSU in the pass game. not sure if by choice or not. he may drop because of it in the draft and could be a steal if so.

I felt that way about grant too last year, but see he has made some strides every year. I think he has a lot of good qualities for us to work with in him. I believe he will only get better as a pro. he's pretty steady in a weaker class of corners this year. he also seems to have his head screwed on right. could be that eventual solid #2 corner for us.

as far as the bell dozer, I like the fact that he was a qb similar to heath. nice size and will get bigger in the pros but has a good understanding of defenses too. this is my thinking on these guys anyway. :cool:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    WR is the one position I think they are completely set at, I'd be shocked if they select one. Totally disagree about Bryant, 1, 2 & 3 is set. Maybe a small question mark about Wheaton as he and Ben were out of sync several times throughout the year.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well a big plus would be having your #2 in sync with your qb. I just don't think wheaton or Bryant are that count on number two for us. they are great to have don't get me wrong, but my ideal number two would be right up there near AB as a target. then we would have something. I think moore and H-B are easily replaced. adding lippet would make us 4 very good options every week for ben. adding weapons to improve what we have isn't a bad thing.:cool:

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Give them time they both just got extensive playing time this season, the Steelers are set at the top 3 WRs. They should draft maybe another big WR for the redzone in the later rounds. Moore and DHB probably won't be back, so they could use some depth at the 4-5 WR position.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think as the 3-4 receivers they will still get extensive time in our offense. if they could come away with a guy like lippet in the 4th it would be a steal. we wouldn't need worry about that position for years.:cool:

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As time goes by, I feel more and more like TE is a position I'd rather get in the mid-rounds, like running back. I wouldn't rule out getting one high, I just feel like it makes more sense to target other positions first. Obviously there can be exceptions (Le'Veon Bell would have been worth a first round pick), but with our QB, WRs, and RB, I'm okay without a superstar TE. I'd rather use those resources to help our secondary or pass rush.

18. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    He sure looks the part.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin likes position flexibility and Lippet can play some DB in a pinch. We also signed Ladamian Washington to our PS he was a guy I had a eye on a few years back. He has good size and the way we are able to churn out WRs you never know.

20. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I see Dulac is pimping Blanchflower in his weekly chat in the PG. Maybe Heath's replacement is already onboard?

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Mac - I really do like Lippett too, however, I have to agree with BF. I think we are set at #1, #2 and #3. I think already as a rookie, Bryant has shown that he can be a #2. I say we hold off on WR, until the later rounds and try to find another gem. Maybe go back to the Central Michigan well and take a guy like Titus Davis (6'2 190).

bedwyr - Maybe Branchflower is really polite to the media and they are rooting for him? I didn't see anything in his games or in training camp to suggest that he is an NFL quality TE. Hated t he pick at the time and still don't like it.

I know there's alot of Danny Shelton talk on the go, I'll just say I Would be floored if we were to invest another top pick along the DL. I just don't see it happening.

22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A) Don't see us drafting a receiver. Wheaton and Bryant proved themselves as solid 2/3 this year, and its easy to find a 4/5 receiver in free agency. And I believe DHB will be back next year.

B) Don't see us drafting D-Line in the top half of the draft. Any picks would be for depth, and unless a Shelton falls to us in the 2nd or 3rd, we have more pressing needs.

C) As of right now, there are only four first round D-backs worth looking at at 22. Collins, Wayne, Peters, and Ifo. Collins will be long gone. Wayne will probably be long gone. Ifo is hurt, and only 5-10 (or maybe 5-9) which will drive many on this board insane. Peters has character issues. Unless the Combine makes a star of someone, I'm thinking we go safety/cb in rounds 2-3. I touted Holliman early on, mesmerized by 14 interceptions, but his tackling skills will take him out of the first round. Holliman round 2 and Goulston round 4 would add 23 interceptions to our backfield. And we need a ballhawk or two.

D) i see our biggest need as a pass rusher. That leaves the best available OLB/Convertible DE available at our pick. Unless one of the tackles drops for some reason (Scherff, Oghuebi, Peete, or Staley) I'm betting that this will be our most likely pick.

E) We should get a mid round tight end. Good value in rounds 3-4-5 there.

F) We need to get a back up running back. Barring someone falling for some bizarre reason (See Martavis Bryant) should be value mid-late rounds.

G) Anyone have any ideas about comp picks? We should be looking at a 3rd or 4th for Sanders, maybe a later one for Ziggy.

23. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with alot of what you say 151.

A) Agreed, no n eed for a WR before Round 5 or 6. Even then, we are just trying to hit a home run.

B) I like our D-line. Need a depth pick in there somewhere, but nothing before Round 4.

C) Agree on Holliman. I was originally thinking Round 1 aswell. You don't get 14 INTs by accident. But then I thought back to David Amerson who had 13 as a CB and he ran sub 4.4 and still only went in Round 2. Holliman may be instinctive but there's alot of holes in his game. Lots of questions surrounding the CB group.

D) OLB may very well be the pick. I just see us missing out on the top tier guys, so I'm not sure if we will settle on the 5th best OLB. The same could be said for OT. Do we want the 5th best option?

E) I'm always on the hunt for a good mid round TE. Crockett Gilmore was my guy last year. Sickens me to see him in a Ravens uniform.

F) Completely agree on RB and I am actually willing to take one as high as Round 2.

G) As for comp picks, I think we will get a couple but they will be late. Probably 6th round picks. Don't forget we signed Mike Mitchell as a UFA. He didn't play well but he did play every game on a relatively large contract. He will more or less off set Sanders.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I like both wheaton and Bryant, but I don't think either have a well enough rounded game as a true number 2 guy. if lippet were there in the 4th, I'd be all for him.

as far as safety, I still like harris in the 2nd. the kid is always around the ball.

I wouldn't be pizzed if we went with erving from Fla.St. either as an O-lineman. OT is very deep in this draft. the #5 guy at tackle will still be a very good one. erving has also shown position flexibility. he's also a good LT. I wanted him last year. he's gotten better since then. it wouldn't be a bad pick.

I wouldn't complain about kikaha though. and another guy that intrigues me is norkeithus Otis from NC. would probably have to bulk up a little more but he seems to have some good field awareness and quicks for the position. somebody to keep an eye on. :cool:

25. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Really? Maybe not last year, but I think Bryant could be a #1. I think both could be a #2.